Dec 4, 2013, 8:51 PM EDT
From Andy Martino, the Mets beat writer at the New York Daily News:
A new possibility for shortstop has emerged for the Mets, as the team plans to send scouts to a showcase this weekend for Cuban defector Erisbel Arruebarruena, according to sources.
The 23-year-old Arruebarruena, who has drawn comparisons to Detroit’s Jose Iglesias, was the starting shortstop for Cuba’s World Baseball Classic team this year. Baseball America’s Ben Badler was first to report his defection last month, and intention to play in the United States. The publication ranked Arruebarruena as the no. 10 prospect in the tournament not signed to a major league team.
The showcase will take place at the Yankees’ facility in the Dominican Republic, so they can be counted as another team with legitimate interest. Arruebarruena is known more for his defensive capabilities than his bat and will likely have to spend some time in the minor leagues.
The 6-foot, 198-pounder debuted in Cuba’s Serie Nacional at age 16. He bats right and throws right.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)