Dec 4, 2013, 7:37 PM EDT
According to Patrick Newman of NPB Tracker, who has translated a Wednesday evening report from Sanspo in Japan, officials at Nippon Professional Baseball headquarters are prepared to accept a new outline of posting system rules from MLB execs.
It’s not exactly clear at this point what their final agreement is going to look like — word is there is an official announcement scheduled for Thursday — but here are the basic details of Major League Baseball’s initial posting system proposal, presented this week to the folks at NPB:
MLB offer to NPB was max posting bid $20M, any team willing to pay can negotiate with plyr for prescribed 1-month period. Plyr picks team
— Joel Sherman (@Joelsherman1) December 4, 2013
It’s a system that would help low-budget MLB teams that have had to shy away from high posting fees and it gives much more freedom and opportunity to Japanese players trying to move from NPB to MLB.
Masahiro Tanaka is the big-ticket item on the international market this winter and will hopefully be able to soon accept bids from interested Major League Baseball clubs. The 25-year-old right-hander finished 24-0 with a lights-out 1.27 ERA in 212 innings this past season for the Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 17
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)