Dec 5, 2013, 10:01 AM EDT
When the Reds fired Dusty Baker and hired Bryan Price as their new manager there was speculation that it could lead to Aroldis Chapman moving from the bullpen to the rotation, as Price had previously indicated he’d be in favor of getting more innings out of the stud left-hander.
However, now that Price actually has the job it sounds like Chapman will remain the Reds’ closer. Via Mark Sheldon of MLB.com here’s what general manager Walt Jocketty said during an MLB Network radio interview yesterday:
We feel we have the depth in our rotation now that we can continue to keep him in the bullpen. That’s probably the plan going into spring training. We’ll have him prepare for spring training like he has in the past. He’ll come in and pitch a lot of innings in spring training, so he could go either way. In all likelihood when we get to spring training, we’ll make a decision. I would think he’ll continue to be our closer.
I’m all for giving young pitchers every opportunity to become 200-inning starters before relegating them to a 60-inning role for the rest of their careers, but in this case Chapman has been truly spectacular as a reliever–posting a 2.40 ERA with 14.7 strikeouts per nine innings–and he hasn’t started regularly since 2010 at Triple-A.
On the other hand, Price told C. Trent Rosencrans of the Cincinnati Enquirer that he still thinks there’s a way to get more value out of Chapman than a traditional one-inning closer role and indicated that he could be used for multiple innings at a time in 2014. This year Chapman appeared in 68 games and logged 63.2 innings.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 38
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)