Dec 5, 2013, 10:01 AM EST
When the Reds fired Dusty Baker and hired Bryan Price as their new manager there was speculation that it could lead to Aroldis Chapman moving from the bullpen to the rotation, as Price had previously indicated he’d be in favor of getting more innings out of the stud left-hander.
However, now that Price actually has the job it sounds like Chapman will remain the Reds’ closer. Via Mark Sheldon of MLB.com here’s what general manager Walt Jocketty said during an MLB Network radio interview yesterday:
We feel we have the depth in our rotation now that we can continue to keep him in the bullpen. That’s probably the plan going into spring training. We’ll have him prepare for spring training like he has in the past. He’ll come in and pitch a lot of innings in spring training, so he could go either way. In all likelihood when we get to spring training, we’ll make a decision. I would think he’ll continue to be our closer.
I’m all for giving young pitchers every opportunity to become 200-inning starters before relegating them to a 60-inning role for the rest of their careers, but in this case Chapman has been truly spectacular as a reliever–posting a 2.40 ERA with 14.7 strikeouts per nine innings–and he hasn’t started regularly since 2010 at Triple-A.
On the other hand, Price told C. Trent Rosencrans of the Cincinnati Enquirer that he still thinks there’s a way to get more value out of Chapman than a traditional one-inning closer role and indicated that he could be used for multiple innings at a time in 2014. This year Chapman appeared in 68 games and logged 63.2 innings.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 31
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)