Marlins agree to one-year deal with Rafael Furcal

Dec 5, 2013, 9:41 PM EDT

2011 World Series Game 7 - Texas Rangers v St Louis Cardinals Getty Images

UPDATE: Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald reports that Furcal will get $3 million plus incentives.

10:02 p.m. ET: Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel hears that Furcal will receive $3.5 million on the one-year deal in additional to playing time incentives.

9:41 p.m. ET: FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that the Marlins have signed Rafael Furcal to a one-year contract, pending a physical. No word yet on the dollar amount.

The Marlins already have Adeiny Hechavarria at shortstop, so Rosenthal hears that they plan to use Furcal as their regular second baseman in 2014. The 36-year-old has only appeared in 36 games at second base during his 13-year major league career, but the position switch might be a good idea for him at this point after he missed the entire 2013 season following Tommy John surgery on his right elbow.

Furcal hit .264/.325/.346 with five home runs, 49 RBI, and 12 stolen bases in 121 games with the Cardinals in 2012. He’s a worthwhile gamble for the Marlins, who had a weak .235/.292/.349 batting line from the second base position this past season.

1. slaugin - Dec 5, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Rosenthal accidentally tweeted Mariners first, followed by to play 2nd… Lots of twitter heart attacks for a solid 60 seconds

2. tfbuckfutter - Dec 5, 2013 at 9:44 PM

At first this made no sense, but now I get it…..

The Blue Jays can use Saltalamacchia as a midseason upgrade to Navarro, but they already have the Shortstop Miami sent them last year.

But where is Miami terrible? 2nd base.

BRILLIANT!

• tfbuckfutter - Dec 5, 2013 at 10:15 PM

That should have been Toronto.

Toronto is terrible at 2nd base.

• tfbuckfutter - Dec 5, 2013 at 10:31 PM

But no one liked the joke anyway so the clarification wasn’t necessary and I’ll show myself out.

• Reflex - Dec 5, 2013 at 11:01 PM

I appreciated it.

• tfbuckfutter - Dec 5, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Thanks Flex.

I’m calling you that from now on.

• Old Gator - Dec 5, 2013 at 10:56 PM

I guess this means Dietrich stays at Nawlins but Donovan Solano’s career slash line .295/.342/.375 and solid infield defense (not to mention how much younger he is) has me scratching my head about why they threw $3mm at Furcal. In the w/l columns it’s a wash as far as I can see.

The Feesh looked worse at second base than they really were, so to speak, because they played Dietrich (.214, I think) much of the first two thirds of the season and used Solano sparingly due to an injury.

I think the Feesh will wind up using the guy who should be a backup as their everyday second baseman and vice-versa to make sure they get enough splat for their buck.

• natstowngreg - Dec 6, 2013 at 9:22 AM

For a contender, gambling on Furcal’s health for a season, at not a very high price, makes sense. I just wonder about the Fish doing it at this time. With their young talent, a signing like this would make more sense in 2015 or 2016. Guess I see the 2014 Fish as being a bit like the 2011 Nats–improving from bad to mediocre, with upside. Of course, that assumes Loria et. al. don’t screw things up. Yeah, I know, that’s a pretty big assumption.

BTW, that Solano slash line was for 2012. Last season, it was .249/.305/.316, which is not good at all. [Per baseball-reference.com.] His expected performance is probably around the average of his 2 MLB seasons (.269/.322/.342). Watching him play vs. the Nats a number of times, I agree that he’s a nice defender at 2B. If he can play an acceptable SS (5 MLB games at that position), he should be a nice utility infielder.

3. mtr75 - Dec 5, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Nice job, Mets. When you’re losing players to the Marlins, you know you’re in trouble.

• bolweevils2 - Dec 6, 2013 at 10:47 AM

You didn’t seriously want Furcal, did you? Unless he comes with a time machine.

• mtr75 - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:45 PM

See “Tejada, Ruben” and ask me that question again.

4. materialman80 - Dec 6, 2013 at 3:00 PM