Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal

Dec 5, 2013, 4:21 PM EDT

Robinson Cano Getty Images

Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes reports that Robinson Cano flew to Seattle to meet with the Mariners today and they’re willing to offer him a 10-year contract worth as much as $240 million.

Previous reports claim the Yankees aren’t willing to go as high as $200 million, so if Rojas’ information is correct the money isn’t even close.

Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik predictably declined to comment about Cano specifically when asked yesterday, but was surprisingly open about the possibility of making a huge splash in free agency and sure sounded like someone who thought he had a real chance to land the second baseman.

Of course, $240 million tends to do that.

143 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. jdillydawg - Dec 5, 2013 at 6:38 PM

What gets me is that the Yankees don’t think he’s worth that kind of money. And the Yankees can actually win. Why would the M’s spend that kind of money? So they can hang out at the same bank as the Yankees? They certainly won’t be seeing them in the post-season.

This would be similar to the Angels signing Pujols. Players go to Seattle to die. Or, in Cano’s case, get rich and play sub-par ball for a less than mediocre team.

• spudchukar - Dec 5, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Condescending entitlement. This is why Yankee fans are despised.

• basedrum777 - Dec 5, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Not that I agree with his tone but what did he say was wrong?

The yankees win (at least for the last 17 years they’ve won consistently) : True
        The M’s don’t “usually” spend that kind of money : True
        Angels wasted Millions on Pujols: True
        Seattle has not been a bastion of great results for folks that have gone there recently: True

Just the tone that was bad.

• spudchukar - Dec 5, 2013 at 7:01 PM

No it wasn’t just the tone. The notion that a player shouldn’t accept a deal to go somewhere else cause the Yankees are always contenders, pretty much suggests they are foolish to choose any team but NY.

First off, the Yanks did not make the play-offs in 2013, and the outlook isn’t that bright in NY. Sure they have the bucks to acquire some talent, but the truth is, 2014 isn’t that promising.

Personally, if the Mariners sign Cano, trade for Price, and then spend another 25 mil or so on one or two other free agents, they will be just as good if not better than NY, both this year and next.

The Mariners not only sit at only 35 mil currently in salary obligations for 2014, they are a franchise that has drawn 4 mil fans, and have a TV contract renewal coming up next year, and that will flood them with new revenue.

• uyf1950 - Dec 5, 2013 at 7:04 PM

@ spudchukar, come on “…Yankee fans are despised”. All Yankees fan? Most Yankee fans? Just the Yankee fans you know? I’m surprised that you of all people on this board would make such a broad sweeping comment.

• spudchukar - Dec 5, 2013 at 7:08 PM

No just the one’s who make condescending entitlement comments like the one above.

• Reflex - Dec 5, 2013 at 7:07 PM

I’m sure he didn’t mean it as a personal statement. Yankees fans do have a reputation however, and it is often deserved. But there are several Yankees fans on this board who I think are fantastic.

• spudchukar - Dec 5, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Me too, and most often UYF is one of the most polite, thoughtful, and he isn’t alone. However, at times even the best succumb to the entitlement syndrome, and when I read it I will always point it out. And this comes from not a Yankee hater, and a once proud Yankee fan in my youth, only to have the Steinbrenner years temper my feelings. And I still root for them vs the Sox, but have to admit I prefer the Rays, and now as a Northwesterner, the Mariners too.

• Reflex - Dec 5, 2013 at 7:15 PM

I’m not a fan of any team, but living in Seattle its always nice to see them win, if only to see the locals get excited.

Now that I know your local we’ll have to set up a HBT night at Safeco where we can argue about defensive sabermetrics, Spud. ;)

• spudchukar - Dec 5, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Well, I’m not exactly a King County resident, although I did live in Port Angeles for a couple of years, and when I first moved to the NW, I resided in Sandpoint which has an intense Seattle influence. Now I live in Ketchum, but I will take you up on the Safeco date sometime, it is a beautiful park, and I need a city fix now and again. I still haven’t even seen the new park in St. Louis.

• jdillydawg - Dec 5, 2013 at 7:28 PM

I’m actually from Seattle. Watch the Mariners lose year after year. If my tone was condescending, I apologize that I’ve hurt your precious feelings. Your assumptions about me are far more offensive, but I’m not going to cry to mom about it.

The Mariners suffer from a coaches’ revolving door. They continue to think dropping huge sums of money on one or two big names will save the day. The problem with the team is not the players, it’s the culture and management. They have a history of bringing great talent to the Northwest only to trade them away mid-season when they realize they aren’t going anywhere. Again.

The Mariners are still an amazingly profitable ball club, and I’ve no doubt they could afford to pay Cano that kind of money. But it won’t solve their problems or make them a better team until they change their culture.

• Reflex - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Spud – Just say when. I’m trying to get a certain other regular here to go to a game, so we should make a game of it. Also, Port Angeles is awesome, I love visiting out there. Olympic is wonderful.

jdillydawg – I guess you haven’t been paying attention. The M’s went into rebuilding mode four years ago when JackZ took over. When he did the team had the worst farm system in the game, a bunch of bad contracts and a total mess of the system. He had to rebuild from scratch. It has taken several years but they have one of the best farm systems in the game now, partially built by the mid-season trades you are decrying, and are in a position to add a few pieces and contend. This is how you build a team that is made for long term contention, and I am glad they have rebuilt in the fashion they have.

• jdillydawg - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Reflex- that’s a line they’ve been using since 2001. I hope they do have a great farm system and one day it pays off, but I stopped holding my breath long ago.

But tell me, if you’re the manager and you’ve got this great farm team coming up, why do you walk away? Actually REFUSE to manage this team like Eric Wedge did? Do you know more about the farm system than he did? Was he just a terrible manager?

Thing is, you could have a farm club of Marvel Superheroes coming up through the ranks and they would still be just mediocre in Seattle. This is a club with a serious management and culture problem. They’ve had 9 (yes, NINE, counting McClendon) managers since 2002. The club could literally field an entire team with managers from the last 10 years.

At some point, you have to ask the question, “I wonder if it’s me?” And that question needs to come from Armstrong and the gang. Because I’m pretty sure all those managers weren’t that bad.

So, yeah, I’ve been paying attention. Painfully so. But we seem to be watching two different parts of the game.

• jfk69 - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Good luck Robbie. Nice xmas gift$$$$$. See you in three years like PRINCE… in a trade. You will be old enough then for A Yankee redux.

2. mybrunoblog - Dec 5, 2013 at 6:41 PM

10 years at $240 million is such an awful contract for a 32 year old player that it almost makes the Jacob Ellsbury deal look good.

• Reflex - Dec 5, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Um, Cano is 30….

• historiophiliac - Dec 5, 2013 at 7:56 PM

So, you’re okay with paying him $24M at 40?

• Reflex - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:01 PM

1) In ten years when $24 million/year is not a terrible price for a ballplayer? Yes.
        2) I’m not paying him anything. A corporation worth billions of dollars is. Yes, I am ok with Nintendo spending money to put a better product on the field.

• mybrunoblog - Dec 5, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Um, we’re both wrong. Cano is 31. A nine or ten year contract is ridiculous but wtf. It isn’t my money.

• Reflex - Dec 5, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Yup, apparently he turned 31 less than two months ago. Ah well we split the difference I guess. ;)

And yeah, it is probably too long but the point for the M’s is that they need someone now to go with the young talent they’ve developed. Cano fits the bill and nobody better is on the market this season. Given that their new tv deal is next offseason they need to demonstrate they are willing to try to field a winning team.

3. nickleback99 - Dec 5, 2013 at 6:45 PM

I LOVED seeing the boys from Beantown kick the Yankees ass Again this last yr. Good luck arrogant Yankees fan. Y’all STILL suck! Go M’s ! And in the East?…GO SOX !

• basedrum777 - Dec 5, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Says the guy whose screen name is the true epitome of terrible terrible bands and proves his worth in the world…. Boston would be a great city if not for its residents.

4. sincitybonobo - Dec 5, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Trout and Harper will be free agents at age 26, after the 2017 and 2018 seasons, respectively. The Yanks will likely be the top bidder for at least one. Can anyone argue that Cano would be a better investment than one of these guys at 26? ARod and Tex will be history, but I think the Yanks would like to limit their nine-figure deals. Let Seattle overpay.

This organization must draft and develop its own players at a much better rate to contend consistently. There is so much money in the game today that the Yanks have much more competition than they used to have. Chasing Cano at this price would not be a victory for them. Free agency can plug holes, but without a pipeline of talent from the minors, teams can not win consistently.

Tex is done after ’16. CC has a fairly easy vesting option for ’17. ARod is off the books after ’17. I don’t think they should spend wildly until some of these deals expire. When they do, the Bombers will be loaded with cash.

Cc, nova

• sincitybonobo - Dec 5, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Cc, nova, and three question marks will not get them to October.

• basedrum777 - Dec 5, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Sincity is right. The Yankees just signed a 30 year old to a 7yr contract. McCann to a 5 year contract. They have 2 outfield positions locked up if they don’t want to trade GGBG for some pitching. The places they will start having holes are exactly where the best options will be available. 1b, 3b, LF, RF, Sp. If they can figure out how to get another pitcher of quality (Tanaka maybe?) then they’ll be set for a while. CC, Nova, Pineda, Tanaka, #5 would be just fine with most of us. Then a lineup of Ells, Jeter, McCann, Tex, Soriano, Mark Reynolds, RF, Infante, GGBG is just fine with me.

• Reflex - Dec 5, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Seriously, you are worrying about possible free agents in five years? That’s kinda silly. As you point out lots of money comes off the books in 2017/18, why would it be a problem to have both Cano and one of those guys, assuming either of them even makes it to free agency(honestly I kind of doubt either do).

• cackalackyank - Dec 5, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Trout and Harper will not likely make it to FA if their GM’s are smart. A smart GM will buy out the last year or two of their FA if they keep producing. Giving a ten year/9 figure deal to a player from age 26-36 is not quite so outlandish as giving a 7-10 year deal to a player that is 30.

5. baseballisboring - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Cano’s a superstar, and the Mariners need offense…but dude. Don’t do it.

Can Nationals run the playoff table?
  1. D. Jeter (3379)