Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal

Dec 5, 2013, 4:21 PM EDT

Robinson Cano Getty Images

Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes reports that Robinson Cano flew to Seattle to meet with the Mariners today and they’re willing to offer him a 10-year contract worth as much as $240 million.

Previous reports claim the Yankees aren’t willing to go as high as $200 million, so if Rojas’ information is correct the money isn’t even close.

Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik predictably declined to comment about Cano specifically when asked yesterday, but was surprisingly open about the possibility of making a huge splash in free agency and sure sounded like someone who thought he had a real chance to land the second baseman.

Of course, $240 million tends to do that.

143 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. tolan04 - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Does cano want the money or want to win

• spudchukar - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Add Price, and the Mariners are contenders.

• asimonetti88 - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:32 PM

They would certainly be a lot better, but I think they’d need to add a few more pieces to go from 71 wins to contender.

• spudchukar - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I dunno. Let’s say they play better in 2014, say a +5 War. Adding Cano and Price has to be a +10 increase in War. That brings them up to 86 wins, which is one more than the “contending” Yanks of 2013.

• mmeyer3387 - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:47 PM

First, I like Cano and think that he is one of the best all around player in the game. Second, it’s not very unlikely, but almost for certain that Cano or Prince will never be able to play at half of the level that they did in their Prime. The Mariners would be greatly hurt if they took on the long term contracts of these guys. Fantasy baseball does not work very well in real life.

• spudchukar - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Price is still a kid, one year away from the Cy, and still arbitration eligible through 2015, and Cano will be fine for another 3-4 years.

• Kevin Gillman - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:31 PM

That’s the thing, if he stays in New York, then he’s doing what he wants to do. But if he goes to Seattle, I think he is listening to Jay-Z. I always thought that if he did leave, he’d go to the Dodgers, but that doesn’t look like it will happen.

• fanofevilempire - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:39 PM

you don’t think he knows he can’t turn that money down, I think Cano is smart enough without HOV telling him to do it.

• Kevin Gillman - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:59 PM

I’m not saying that, but it will be interesting who is running things. I mean he wants over $200 Million, so far one team is offering him that. Is it enough to leave New York, a place I truly believe he doesn’t want to leave?

• basedrum777 - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:00 PM

A player taking more $ to leave is not due to their advisors most of the time.

• pappageorgio - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Last reports say that the yanks aren’t over 200 (maybe even well under). 40 million is significant and you can’t blame him for taking the money, even if NY fans will cry “he doesn’t care about winning”. Cano has worked hard and there’s nothing wrong with taking the money.

That said……the fact that this contract is being leaked is probably an attempt to stay in NY (or another winning franchise). It’s a warning to close the gap in money, because 40 million is too much to turn down on general principal.

• spudchukar - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:31 PM

To Gillman. $40 mil, means he can visit the Big Apple often.

• Caught Looking - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:35 PM

$240 million answered the question.

• 18thstreet - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:31 PM

If he wanted to win, why would he play for the Yankees?

I kid, I kid.

• rje49 - Dec 5, 2013 at 6:18 PM

This is part of the strategy to get the Yankees to increase their offer. I can’t see the Yankees getting outbid. Besides, how do we know the 10 years/240 million is accurate? Maybe the reporter was fed those numbers for a reason…. Agents using ploys has occurred before!

• fanofevilempire - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Cano has won already, has nothing to prove, there is NO shame in taking that money Robbie.
      I hope he does it with his heart and not for the money, I thank him for he did to the Empire and wish him the best.

• ienjoysensi - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Who says he’s gonna win in NY?

• basedrum777 - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:01 PM

History ienjoysensi, history says that.

• tigers182 - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Do the Mariners really want to pay a 41 year old 24 million in 2024?

• Kevin S. - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:45 PM

No, which is why they offered a contract ending in 2023.

• spudchukar - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:05 PM

The years really are irrelevant. Might as well make it for as many as possible, it dispenses payments to a later date, and who knows maybe he could DH in the end. Even if they overpay by 50 mil that’s only 5 mil a year, and if it entices others, and fills the stands, then the Mariners probably break even, and if they could add Price, then they become contenders.

• cackalackyank - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:22 PM

No but apparently they will do it for someone age 40 in 2023.

• mayorrobford - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Win in NY?
      The way I see it they might have a shot at the playoffs this season coming but it goes steeply downhill in years 2, 3 and 4.

I figure the M’s will have a better team than the Yankees 3 seasons from now

• m3dman3 - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:47 PM

lol

• mayorrobford - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Yankee fans are cute, they forget that the core of their team was their own guys they brought along, not free agents. Bernie Williams, Jeter, Posada, Rivera etc… the Yankees don’t have the talent in their system to replace all those holes they have and are going to have in a couple of seasons.

Mason Williams hasn’t even conquered AA ball
        Slade Heathcott a 23 year old wasn’t that impressive in his first year AA Trenton
        Gary Sanchez is an ok prospect but hasn’t been special
        Tyler Austin another prospect that came back to reality once he left rookie and low A ball.

The Yankee farm system quite frankly is unimpressive, and they are in trouble

• bendover09 - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Mariners may not better than Yankees but in the long run Houston is in better position than the Yankees & Angels due to their farm system.

• basedrum777 - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:04 PM

If you think the Mariners are going to compete for anything in the near future I have some beachfront property to sell you in Arizona.

The Yankees are reloading if you haven’t noticed and winning is what they’ve done since about 1995. I think that means they’re going to keep that effort up since its made them the most valuable franchise in baseball by a lot.

• mayorrobford - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Im saying that the Mariners, three seasons from now, will be in a better position to win games than the Yankees.

LOL The “Yankees are reloading” ya, they have been reloading yearly for a few seasons now, and it hasn’t resulted in playoff wins.

You lost the greatest closer of all time, and are about to lose the heart of the team. You’re overpaying for a declining Arod and Texiera. You have a declining CC, and are year to year on Kuroda. Pineda is a massive question mark.

Just tell me who’s going to be pitching the Yankees into the playoffs in 2015, 2016, 2017?

Lemme guess you just figure they will sign a pitching staff before then right?

• mayorrobford - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Oh and Winning anything but Championships is meaningless in NY, and the Yankees have only done that once in the past 13 years. But you think they are close this year and like their chances beyond?

I find that adorable

• spudchukar - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Add Cano and Price to the Mariners, and they become immediately better than the Yankees, unless the Yanks do some serious work.

• ienjoysensi - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Couldn’t agree more. Yankees rotation is rough. If they could land price or even another number 1 or 2 guy to go with Felix , and sign robbie , mariners are in better position for the long term in the national league in that division. Sox and Tampa have absolutely loaded farms and aren’t going away anytime soon. To say the Mariners aren’t going to win and the Yankees will due to ” history ” is BS.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Two ALCS appearances and one ALDS appearance in 4 years since the last WS in ’09. Tell me which team you root for that’s done better in the last five years…

• mayorrobford - Dec 5, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Do I need to repeat it? Nobody in New York cares unless it ends in a ring.

And it’s quite pathetic to make the attempt to boil it down my “my team is better than yours” “what team do you root for” garbage.

You look dumb for it
        “Your point is invalidated because your rooting interest blah blah blah”
        And Im a Tiger fan, so ya, there’s that too.
        But I have no problem saying that the Tigers farm system is just as bad as the Yankees, because I’m not a homer, and I pay attention to such things.

• mj2sexay - Dec 5, 2013 at 6:05 PM

based on what? This Yankee hate is hilarious.

• mayorrobford - Dec 5, 2013 at 7:07 PM

I think I covered this already, the Yankee farm system isn’t good and you have a bunch of old players.

You can it hate, I call it reality. Quite frankly I think it takes a massive homer who doesn’t pay attention to their teams minor leagues not to see what’s coming.

• yankeehawk - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Like that old saying goes Robbie…….don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out !

• fanofevilempire - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:10 PM

mayorrobford, put the crack pipe down, Yankee fans know, we call em the core four.
        and it’s not Bernie, his name burn.

– cute Yankee fan

• fanofevilempire - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Nelson Mandela, a great human being.
      RIP

• tmoser2013 - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Sea’s payroll was right below 74mill last year. Adding Cano at 24mill makes up roughly 32% of their payroll from next year. Not exactly the way to re-build for a team that lost 91 games last year. This is on the Arod/Texas Rangers contract level. That did not work out well.

• 18thstreet - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:13 PM

There’s a lot of things I would do for 10 years and $240 million. Playing for the Mariners is definitely on that list.

While I acknowledge the Mariners are a pretty bad team, I’ll always remember that Red Sox teams from 1999, which went to the playoffs with Pedro, Nomar, and a some lucky breaks. Between King Felix and Robinson Cano, it’s not impossible to think that the Mariners are a couple lucky breaks away for nabbing a Wild Card slot.

2. Mark Armour - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Otherwise known as “The Pujols”.

3. spudchukar - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:29 PM

I happen to believe this. The Mariners are going to have to overpay, and they need offense. This franchise once topped 4 mil in attendance, and all they have to do is put a competitive team on the field and they will draw.

If I were Cano, I would tell them yes, if they go and get Price, even if that means they have to deal Walker to get him. A couple of other minor pieces and they are in contention. All other teams in the AL West have flaws, although the A’s seem to be addressing them. Go for it Mariners, your fan base deserve it.

• Kevin Gillman - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:35 PM

The fans will come and that would be fun to see. But I just don’t think Cano is even the difference maker. But then again, that is just my opinion. But a combination of Hernandez-Price-Iwamura would be lethal, even if it is just for one season.

• spudchukar - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Price is under control for both 2014 and 2015, although he may well be near $15 mil in arbitration in 2015.

• Kevin Gillman - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Okay, I thought he was done after 2014 season. Still, it would be a fun trio to watch for any baseball fan.

• uyf1950 - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:53 PM

@ spudchukar my friend according to MLBTR they calculate Price to get just over $13MM this year via arbitration. I’d say your $15MM estimate for 2015 is a tad low, try about $17 or $18MM with even an average 2014.

• spudchukar - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:12 PM

UYF, my friend, you a probably correct about the arbitration numbers. But that really shouldn’t matter to the Mariners, they can afford both.

• larrymahnken - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Cano can’t tell them to acquire a player in exchange for him signing. That’s collusion.

• spudchukar - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:41 PM

I know he cannot “demand” it. But I am pretty sure something along the lines, “I would be more inclined to accept your offer if you had a dominating front three starters like Hernandez, Price, and Iwakuma” would get the message across without breaking any rules.

4. xdj511 - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Come on guys… stop toying with us… just sign him already so we can all have a good laugh about it!

• fanofevilempire - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:42 PM

laughing all the way to the bank.

5. southofheaven81 - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:30 PM

It’s up to Cano If he wants the money or to be on a winning team. I wouldn’t blame him for taking the payday, it’s his great great grandkids’ college money he’s making right now, buthe isn’t a good enough player to carry a franchise to the playoffs by himself (the 2013 Yankees proved that) and Seattle won’t have the money to buy any other quality players if they have this contract on the books. Meanwhile New York is looking a lot better than the last couple years already.

• pipkin42 - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:31 PM

New York still has a lot of holes, but yeah, the Mariners will cripple themselves with this deal. But Jack Z needs a turnaround this year or he loses his job. Funny thing, incentives.

• gloccamorra - Dec 5, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Yeah, I wonder how many teams have been crippled by GMs trying to save their jobs? We may be seeing this going on in Philly, with Amaro refusing to get younger, and Arizona, where Towers is looking to make a blockbuster trade by trading away the farm. I wonder why owners sign off on it – Mike Ilich at 84 is the only one you can understand wanting to win it all NOW.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:38 PM

The 2013 Yankees were basically Cano and a bunch of second and third string players for most of the season. They only had three batters that even qualified for a batting title, and only two were > 100 wRC+ (Gardner and Cano). Trout is the best player in the game, why didn’t he carry the Angels to the playoffs?

• fanofevilempire - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:44 PM

cause he can’t pitch!

• fanofevilempire - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:43 PM

south,whose on 2nd?

• basedrum777 - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:37 PM

When did 2b become a hotspot for the offensive? There have been 4-5 2b’s in my lifetime that I thought of as very good offensively.

• spudchukar - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:43 PM

That just isn’t factually correct. Currently the Mariners are at 35 mil for the 2014 season. They have room for Cano, Tanaka, Price, and Ibanez and still come in under 100 mil for the year.

6. mianfr - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:31 PM

It would be Adrian Beltre all over again. Except, you know, older and more expensive.

• pipkin42 - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:36 PM

So I just looked up Beltre’s stats for that contract, hoping to contradict you, and I can’t exactly, since Beltre had some 5-WAR years on that deal but also underperformed some years. But man, that last year with the Dodgers, before free agency? 9.6 in B-R WAR. That’s crazy! Second in the league, behind Barry’s 10.7, to whom he also lost the MVP. His previous high was 3.6 the year before!

So yeah, crazy year.

• mianfr - Dec 5, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Sorry, I realize now my comment might have been a bit misleading.

Beltre was never really a terrible player or anything, I was just making the point of how greatly Safeco eats away at otherwise good players. They need particular types of players, and ones with decent but not excessive, Adam Dunn-level pop aren’t exactly the best route. Beltre was a very good player before Seattle and a very good player after, and it’s kind of hard to think of a reason for his swoon besides the ballpark itself.

7. NYTolstoy - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Wow I’m sorry but if you are Cano how do you turn down 240 million? Win or not that’s so much it’s hard to say no.

• gloccamorra - Dec 5, 2013 at 6:29 PM

If he were making minimum wage up to now, that’s a jackpot, all right. But he’s made $57 million in his career, and even $160 million from the Yankees is gravy. At this point, he should be deciding on the basis of where he can best succeed, hwere he can put up HOF numbers, and where he’s most comfortable, since he’s got it made already anywhere he signs. It’s Jay-Z who’s looking at all that extra money.

8. larrymahnken - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Good luck with that.

• 18thstreet - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Yeah. I’m a Cano fan, but I think the Mariners are WAY overpaying here. We know that the Yankees’ ceiling is, what, $160 million? Is there any reason why the Mariners go 8 years, $24 million instead?

9. uyf1950 - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:36 PM

If true who could blame him for going where the money is. If true he just made it a whole lot easier for the Yankees to justify to their fans letting him bolt. If true in about 5 years the Mariners ownership in Japan will probably have committed seppuku. If true I just have one other thing to say as a Yankees fan “don’t let the door hit you on the way out”.

10. Caught Looking - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:37 PM

This will be a far more regrettable contract for the Mariners than Ellsbury’s will be for the Yankees.

• uyf1950 - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:47 PM

My friend it’s not even close. First off Ellsbury is a little younger than Cano Second it would be for 10 years versus 7 guaranteed for Ellsbury. Thrid Cano would be moving to a home ballpark with a deeper RF. Fourth the Yankees are far more capable of recovering from a “bad” contract, just a general observation, because I don’t think Ellsbury’s contract is bad. Fifth as someone already pointed out Cano’s deal pretty much limits what else the Mariners can do. Sixth, all of the above.

• basedrum777 - Dec 5, 2013 at 6:08 PM

UYF I think you misread his post. he’s saying the mariners will be MORE sorry for signing him. “More Regrettable”.

• fanofevilempire - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I don’t know, Ells makes his money with his speed, and speed is the first thing to go.
      I guess time will tell, if he takes that money.
      You gotta have belly to turn down that money.

• 18thstreet - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:22 PM

There’s plenty of examples of speed aging just fine.

• uyf1950 - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:28 PM

18thstreet, thank you I was looking for that to counter the argument.

11. losangelesfan - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Now Arte knows what he’s up against. “285 million 10 years. Take it or leave it, Canoe.”

12. chefjon81 - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:45 PM

If Cano is smart, he wouldn’t leave Seattle without signing that deal.

13. m3dman3 - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:46 PM

What a sad ending to such a promising career. There goes Jay Z’s first ruined career.

14. tomthedestry - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:46 PM

There is no way the Mariners came up with 240million this is a rumor to try to get the Yankees to bid against themselves Like they did with ARoid.

15. steelers88 - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:46 PM

This would be a stupid move for the Mariners. Cano is 31 years old! Safeco field also is not the bandbox that Yankees Stadium is I would expect his power numbers to go down.

16. tfbuckfutter - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Do the Mariners know Cano admits to being 31 years old?

And he is also from the same country as Miguel Tejada?

Maybe the Yankees know something and are reluctant to sign him for a reason.

17. proudlycanadian - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:01 PM

It is a lot of money. For the Mariners sake, I would hope that they front end load their offer rather than back end load it. Do not want to be paying him $25 million when he is in his late 30’s.

• Reflex - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I disagree. Inflation and new revenue streams(such as the tv deal that is due after next season) make backloading a contract a better deal for a team. I will also point out that all the people stressing about the M’s finances forget this is a team that used to routinely have payrolls of over $100 mil, is owned by Nintendo, and has only $33 mil booked(including Felix) for next season so far. Even after arbitration they have a *lot* of money available for signing this off season. That they’ve held off so far is a sign of restraint and making sure the money they spend makes sense.

• 18thstreet - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Inflation, last month, was -.1 percent.

• Reflex - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Last month major league player salaries went down by -.1%? Because player salary inflation is whats important here, not national economic inflation or consumer price index…

• gloccamorra - Dec 5, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Reflex, the teams are getting the new TV money NOW, about $25 million more, not after next season. That’s why we’re seeing these crazy contracts. The financial hangover will come after next season.

• Reflex - Dec 5, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Why do you think that it will stop before next offseason? How do you know they are not negotiating the new deal *right now*?

• uyf1950 - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:20 PM

I think you meant to say “very” late 30’s. How do you front load $240MM over 10 years?
      Year 1 = $30MM Cano will be 31 to start the season
      Year 2 = $30MM
      Year 3 = $30MM
      Year 4 = $30MM
      Year 5 = $25MM
      Year 6 = $25MM
      Year 7 = $18MM
      Year 8 = $18MM
      Year 9 = $17MM
      Year 10 = $17MM Cano will be 40 to start the 10th and final season of that contract.

Now I realize there’s inflation which reduces the overall cost but I have a hard time seeing based on my rather liberal front loading of that contract where Cano is worth the money in any year of that contract. But hey that’s just my opinion.

• proudlycanadian - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:28 PM

That is a reasonable schedule you put forward. He would still be overpaid, but at least the amount of overpayment would be spread out more evenly.

• uyf1950 - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Proudly, my middle name is “reasonable”. It’s UYreasonableF1950

18. Reflex - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:03 PM

This reminds me of the Werth deal. Team with a lot of young talent that has been terrible for a decade overpays for one key player to demonstrate they are serious. I’d say that at the back end this deal will look bad, but I’m not certain that given the past decade of salary inflation that $24 mil in 2023 will actually look that bad, especially with the M’s due for a new tv contract after next season.

Personally I think this is the move Jack needs to make. Sign Cano. Consider signing Granderson to fill that huge hole in center. Trade for Price(M’s are one of the few teams with the young MLB ready pitching to make it happen). Between that and skills growth from Franklin and others I think they would have a very nice core, if not a contender in their division.

I have not felt the M’s are far off from contention the past couple years. These are the pieces they need to make it happen. There is not a better free agent available, and he plays a key position that is scarce to find.

• spudchukar - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I agree on both of your posts Reflex. The Mariners need to excite their fans. And add Price and the Mariners are in the thick of things in the AL West.

• Reflex - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:21 PM

I also generally think that people underestimate the power of inflation on these deals. No, Cano will not be worth $24 mil even in inflated dollars in 2023. But he won’t be a dramatic overpay either, and will likely be holding down the DH slot by then. If it makes them have a solid piece to go alongside the young core, and demonstrates to other free agents that they are serious, it will have been well worth it. To say nothing of the fan excitement it will generate.

I think they are a strong pitcher and one more outfielder away from serious contention.

• Reflex - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:24 PM

One other interesting point: The M’s are one of the few landing places for Cano that will not gain the Yanks a draft pick as I believe the M’s pick is protected. Huge advantage there.

• spudchukar - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Good point, hadn’t thought of that, but I am sure you are correct.

• spudchukar - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Not only could they afford both Price and Cano, they could make a play for Tanaka, and still only have about 90 mil committed for 2014. While they are at it, maybe they ought to make a deal to bring back Ichiro, sign A-Rod for about a mil, since he will be well compensated by the Yanks, and add Ibanez to DH, and have the band back together.

• 18thstreet - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Responding to Reflex:

I think people are not aware that inflation is pretty much nil right now.

• spudchukar - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Not that kind of inflation.

• Reflex - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Spud – I also wondered about Tanaka, especially if they can’t get Price for a reasonable deal. They also have two stud pitching prospects, either deal both for Price, or keep both and sign Tanaka. Either way that’s a good position to be in.

18thstreet – As I pointed out above, the inflation in this case is player salaries and club revenues, both of which have done nothing but rise over the past decade, and with the M’s a year from a new tv contract, likely to continue to rise. My best is that part of this attempted signing is to demonstrate to the RSN that they are serious about contending to drive the money up for the new deal. For a network to commit billions for a decade long deal the M’s need to demonstrate they have a strong core product, one young enough to contend for the duration of that deal. Cano with the young core they have built demonstrate those things.

• uyf1950 - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:44 PM

@ Reflex, you are mistaken about the draft pick. The Yankees still get the compensation it just the Mariners lose their 2nd round pick not their 1st round because the 1st rounder is protected. But that has nothing to do with the Yankees receiving their compensation pick for losing Cano.

• spudchukar - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Pretty sure you are correct there UYF, my friend, but it does probably drop them down a spot in the compensation order, I think.

• Reflex - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:46 PM

I should have been more specific then. Yes I know they still lose a second rounder. My point was they don’t lose their first round pick, which is very very valuable to a franchise, especially one in building mode.

19. thinman61 - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:16 PM

As much as I (as a Sox fan) want this to be true, it would be more credible if it came from somewhere other than ESPN Deportes. Their reports don’t always survive exposure to the facts.

20. pisano - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Well, if their that dumb to give him that contract, that’s where he ought to go. Bye, bye!

• Reflex - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Yes, the Yanks will enjoy replacing Cano with Kelly Johnson. That will really improve the team for next year.

I’m really not certain why Yanks fans care about the money spent. The team could afford to double their payroll if they wished, luxury tax and all. That they claim to be only about winning, then refuse to spend to make it happen should be an outrage to the fans. Their window is closing now, better, younger teams are on the rise, the Yanks farm system is crap, either spend at the MLB level or get used to finishing behind the Rays and Sox(and possibly the Orioles).

• uyf1950 - Dec 5, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Why do you assume Kelly Johnson is Cano’s replacement? Last time I checked Infante was still available.

Reflex your comment is funny when you say “Their window is closing now (referring to the Yankees), better, younger teams are on the rise, the Yanks farm system is crap, either spend at the MLB level…” When all you have done I believe in virtually every post here is talk about the Mariners signing Cano, going after Price and looking at Tanaka. Sounds a bit hypocritical to me.

BTW the Yankees as part of the Yankees Global Enterprises which is controlled by the Steinbrenner Family is arguably valued at between $4 and $5 Billion Dollars. Do you honestly believe that as an organization with money coming out of their /\sses is going to depend on a farm and wait 3,4 and 5 years to potentially have maybe 1 or 2 prospects make an impact. That’s for losers like the Mariners. Yes, they have money to spend or so I’ve heard for the better part of 3 years. It’s about time they started to spend some of it to put a product on the field that fans aren’t embarrassed about.

Excuse my frustration but I’m tired of other teams fans complaining about the Yankees spending money or nitpicking when they hand out long expensive contracts but when the “shoe is on the other foot” so to speak those very same deals don’t seem to solicit the very same outrage.

• spudchukar - Dec 5, 2013 at 6:18 PM

I agree, my friend, the Yanks will always be in contention, cause they have the bucks, and at times make wise decisions. And I always say it is up to the Yanks if they want to pay luxury taxes. So people who condemn them for FA spending are hypocritical, particularly when they would do the same if they could.

That said, it is also just as hypocritical to say, “Good riddance, and don’t let the door hit you on the way out”, if a Yankee takes the money and goes elsewhere. You cannot have it both ways.”

• Reflex - Dec 5, 2013 at 6:21 PM

You need to comprehend what I said. I said the Yankees should spend. I said not spending is stupid given their current closing window. I am not bashing them for spending at all. I am bashing them for trying to save a few million on the best second baseman in the game. It is silly for a team worth as much as five billion dollars to be trying to safe a few tens of millions of dollars for one of only eight defensive positions.

BTW, Infante over the past four years has a WAR of 7.6. Cano last season had a WAR of 7.6. Enjoy.

• basedrum777 - Dec 5, 2013 at 6:47 PM

The Yankees farm system is currently ranked 16th out of 30 meaning exactly in the middle. 3 spots behind the vaunted Seattle system you speak of. Lets cool your jets on giving the Mariners a WS trophy….

• uyf1950 - Dec 5, 2013 at 7:00 PM

@ spudchukar, my friend the other part of that comment from me that you didn’t mention was “who could blame him for going where the money is.” I don’t blame him for going with the money. I’ve always said you want players on your team that want to be there, if Cano doesn’t want to be a Yankee because the money is better somewhere else let him no one’s forcing him to stay. Hence my comment: Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

At least in my mind my 2 comments are not mutually exclusive.

• Reflex - Dec 5, 2013 at 7:04 PM

basedrum – When is the last time the Yankees farm system turned out a impact player?

21. cackalackyank - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:32 PM

I guess the coffee fumes in Seattle are really to cover up the smell of all the glue getting sniffed near Safeco field. It s the only way they can not have realized that these contracts for guys over 30 DO NOT WORK. Enjoy your money Robbie. Don’t let the door hit you where the good lord split ya.

22. doctorfootball - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:42 PM

If Cano signs that deal, I hope the media jumps all over Seattle for overpaying like they do the Yankees

23. seahawks80 - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:45 PM

At that price they can have him….I’m a Yankee fan and I would like keep Cano but not at that rate

• sysi45 - Dec 5, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I am a Yankee fan too and feel the same way. All of these people that are putting down the Yanks, I have just one thing to say 27. Nobody else can say that and I bet they get 28 before most of the other teams get one. It may not be next year or the next 5 but they will get there.

24. sidelineshot - Dec 5, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Imagine if Jeter was in his prime right now, and at the end of a contract.
    He is the only dude worth that kind of money.

25. jason9696 - Dec 5, 2013 at 6:37 PM

He’d be crazy to leave New York. How many millions does he really need? You know he’ll never win in Seattle.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2895)