UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano

Dec 5, 2013, 7:48 PM EDT

New York Yankees v Houston Astros Getty Images

UPDATE: The Mariners may not have offered $200 million to Robinson Cano yet, but it sounds like it’s going to happen before long.

David Waldstein of the New York Times and CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman are both reporting that the Mariners plan to offer nine years and $225 million to Cano. This is a slightly different number than what was reported by Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes earlier this afternoon, but it’s still likely higher than where the Yankees are willing to go.

Nine years and $225 million would give Cano an AAV (average annual value) of $25 million, tying him with Ryan Howard, Josh Hamilton, and Felix Hernandez for the fifth-highest in MLB history.

6:36 p.m. ET: Don’t rule out Robinson Cano’s return to the Yankees just yet.

Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes made some waves earlier this afternoon when he reported that Robinson Cano was on a plane to Seattle and that the Mariners were willing to bid $230-240 million over 10 years in order to sign him. However, FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal hears that no such offer has been made. At least not yet.

In other words, Cano is aiming to land the same contract that Albert Pujols received from the Angels (10 years, $240 million) two offseasons ago. Only two deals in MLB history have been richer, both of them for Alex Rodriguez, first with the Rangers in December of 2000 ($252 million) and later with the Yankees in December of 2007 ($275 million). The Mariners are obviously interested in making a big splash this winter, but they’ll likely have to blow the Yankees out of the water to have a chance. $240 million would probably do just that, but we’re not sure it’s actually on the table.

1. thebadguyswon - Dec 5, 2013 at 6:40 PM

He’s obviously going to stay in NY. This is just going to ensure the Yankees pay out their ass to keep him. Good.

• uyf1950 - Dec 5, 2013 at 6:44 PM

He may or may not wind up in NY, but don’t count on the Yankees increasing their 7 year $160 to $170MM offer substantially. My guess is the Yankees don’t go beyond $180MM and that probably is conditional on the 8th year being some sort of vesting option.

As for this Yankees fan I’m just tired of all the BS and very, very misleading rumors.

• cur68 - Dec 5, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Embrace the chaos, UYF. There’s no other game in town right now. One thing we know: The Empire will land on its feet come season start, with or without Mr. Robinson Cano.

• uyf1950 - Dec 5, 2013 at 7:06 PM

cur68, Amen my friend. From your mouth to Gods ear.

• paperlions - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:06 PM

It isn’t clear to me that the Yankees will land on their feet. It is still a really old team, they upgraded with Ellsbury and McCann, but losing Cano and the continued aging of much of the roster will offset that even in 2014. If Teixeira comes back and plays like it is 2009, that’ll help a lot. But they still need pitching, and there isn’t much impact talent particularly close to the majors in their system.

If Tanaka doesn’t post, that’ll be a huge blow….and even if he does, if the new system caps the fee and allows the player to negotiate like a FA with all teams that posted the maximum….that will drive up his price and the effect on the luxury tax.

I am not saying that they’ll suddenly be a 75 win team, but if they lose Cano, a lot of positive things are going to have to happen for them to really be among the elite teams in the AL any time soon.

• cur68 - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Sadly ‘Lions, I’m not that hopeful. Season after season, The Empire gets its feces in a heap and puts a solid product on the field. Season after season. They are regular like that. Makes a fan of another AL BEast team sick to the stomach.

I recall 2 seasons ago: we were all castigating Ole UYF here about his “Old Yankee Team”. He retreated into a dignified silence with the abrupt message: lets play the games and see, shall we? And guess what? They were competitive. Hell, they were competitive last season, too. Had the Red Sox not had career years from some guys, The Empire had a real shot with that crew of scrubs they had there.

Nah. These dudes are the zombies of MLB. Age does not kill them. They have the money to make stuff happen and they usually do.

• imwhitewolf - Dec 5, 2013 at 7:36 PM

The M aren’t going to sign Cano and here’s why: they forked out BIG money for Hernandez last year and buying one position player when they need anywhere between five and seven position players isn’t going to happen. They aren’t contenders with the likes of Smoak, Ackley, Saunders, Seager, etc., and just adding Cano won’t make them contenders.

I know. I live in North Idaho and the M’s are the only game in town.

• jdillydawg - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:00 PM

I agree…and disagree. I think Smoak aside, Ackley, Saunders and Seager could be formidable. Seager plays well (I was actually hoping the Dodgers would go after him for 3rd base, give him a shot with a contender while he’s young).

That said, I think the big issue with the M’s is how they run their club. The culture needs to change and the revolving door at the coach’s office needs to stop spinning. (Which pretty much means Jack and those above him need to go).

I would venture to say that even adding those seven great position players, the Ms would still only place in the middle of the division next year. Culture is killer there. If this Cano deal goes through, sadly, I don’t see any upside to it other than to Cano’s bank account.

• Reflex - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:17 PM

The M’s have $33 mil on the books for next season including Felix. Cano is worth it given that fact.

• fanofevilempire - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:07 PM

keep hating and we will keep winning, tell your owner stop being a loser
      get yourself a dark blue Yankee fitted and join a winner!
      keep a light on for Cano.

• retief1954 - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:24 PM

So, in your view, Ms fans are “haters” whose problems will all be solved if only we’ll overpay a 31-y/o, very likely past his prime NYY FA castoff. And you, NYY fan, are a “winner”. 2nd opinion? You’re a dope, and one of millions of reasons baseball fans across the country can’t stand you and your team. Your arrogance, which I’m sure you consider a virtue, is just an eye-roll for everyone else.

• fanofevilempire - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:43 PM

retief1954, wtf are talking about, relax, I was responding to thebadguyswon.
        you BIG douche bag!

• fanofevilempire - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:59 PM

retief1954, be a man and state your team, you see my screen name, stop
        being a little bi-atch.

and wtf are you from?

ya BIG douche!

• thepoolshark - Dec 6, 2013 at 1:56 AM

The only way Cano will sign with the Mariners is if he accepts a contract stipulation forcing him to drink a Starbucks… with a double espresso shot added… every inning. That might get him hustling to first, just so he can get back to the dugout quicker to avoid peeing his pants in public

2. kingkershaw - Dec 5, 2013 at 6:49 PM

He’s not worth a dime more than 170 million. It would be outrageous to give him anything over 7 years either, not 7 years on Ellsbury outrageous but still.

• fanofevilempire - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:46 PM

retief1954, stop acting like a jackass, the reason people hate the Yankees is because they win and they win because the owner spends his money, not stuff his pockets.
      you BIG douche!

• byjiminy - Dec 6, 2013 at 2:52 AM

I was on the fence until now, but your third response won me over!

3. cur68 - Dec 5, 2013 at 6:50 PM

The off season sucks. But there are compensations. Chief among them is the overblown hype of big free agent spending from teams with little to no hope of snagging the stud of the FA litter.

I hope the Mariners DO land Cano. But I don’t think its likely. In all likelihood, no matter what they pay him, he can make that and more by taking less money to remain in NYC with its better media exposure that virtually guarantees him more endorsement dollars.

• 18thstreet - Dec 5, 2013 at 7:17 PM

If I were Enrique Rojas’s bosses, I would be demanding to know his sources right now.

We don’t know the truth of who told what to whom, but I trust Rosenthal a lot. I can easily imagine firing Rojas over this, were I his boss. ESPN, on the other hand, will just applaud him for his Klout score and click rates or something. They don’t care.

• cur68 - Dec 5, 2013 at 7:28 PM

He made some news, all right. In way, he may have wagged the dog, too. This might light a bit of a fire under the Yankees to get a deal in place with Cano sooner rather than later.

• uyf1950 - Dec 5, 2013 at 7:45 PM

cur68, my friend. I really don’t think anything the Mariners, Tigers or whomever do as it relates to making Cano an offer is going to substantially change what they intend to do. I honestly feel that for the first time in a long time ownership isn’t going to succumb to the sign at any price.

• proudlycanadian - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:03 PM

From what I remember, Enrique Rojas is much more accurate in his stories than the usual cabal of baseball rumor mongers.

• cur68 - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:07 PM

You could be right, UYF. If the Yankees think they can replace Cano with reasonable production at 2B, they might be able to overcome the loss of production thereby increasing production at CF (Ellsbury: that bat might play at NYS like Granderson’s did without all the Granderson-esque strike outs). But I think that’s contingent on if they can land Brett Anderson or David Price (Dog knows how: they haven’t much to trade as far as MLB Ready & Proven Talent). They’d shore up some runs allowed, thereby needing less runs scored. However, if they can have Cano AND Ellsbury do they need to land Anderson/Price? They have the bank roll to outbid The Mariners. But will they? Depends, I think, on if they can get an ace-type pitcher. All this urgent to-ing and fro-ing to Seattle might force the Yankees to grab Cano, since the pitcher they might want has to be by trade, not by dollars. Trade is harder for them.

• mtr75 - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Firing him for what, exactly?

• 18thstreet - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Well, it sure looks like someone has bad sources.

• mtr75 - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Actually Rosenthal seems to be the outlier here.

• 18thstreet - Dec 5, 2013 at 9:01 PM

That’s what I’m thinking. We’ll find out soon enough.

If someone is actually offering Cano over $200 million, he should sign before they sober up.

• uyf1950 - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:24 PM

cur68, my friend. While I would dearly love Price in the Yankees rotation, that ain’t gonna happen. I think and I could be wrong but I think the Yankees are figuring on Kuroda for one more year possibly Tanaka but who really knows what’s going on with him. But I definitely see the Yankees going after another pitcher if it Anderson via a trade or someone else like Jimenez or someone else I have no idea. But the only thing I feel certain about and Cashman has this this several times the Yankees intend to add pitcher that can give them about 400 combined innings. That equates to 2 new signings.

Just my opinion but I’m not sure the Yankees are finished with the outfield I would not be surprised to see the Yankees sign a true power hitting RF’er. then move both Wells and Ichiro and use Soriano as their primary DH with him splitting some time with Gardner in LF. But that is 100% speculation on my part.

If Cano does bolt I can see the Yankees signing Infante and moving Nunez via a trade. The Yankees so far this winter have stocked up on utility infielders Anna, Johnson, Ryan, etc… making Nunez more then expendable.

I know that sounds like Cashman and the Yankees still have a lot on their plate and to some degree that true but I think the chips will start to falls and the players becoming clearer in the next week to 10 days.

At least I hope so.

• cur68 - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Some Moneyball style moves in there, UYF. Dog He’p us all if The Empire gets all Billy Beane on us.

• raysfan1 - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Cur, the Rays would never trade Price to the Yankees, or any other AL East team unless said AL East team were offering such a ridiculous package that the Rays FO would be fools to not accept.

• uyf1950 - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:51 PM

@ cur, I don’t think so. I think the Yankees ownership and by that I mean Hal Steinbrenner have come to realize in for a penny in for a pound. As I said I still see the Yankees making some noise by signing a couple of very good players to fill some needs even if they lose another draft choice.

Better to sacrifice the draft choices in one and they will probably get 2 of those back to offset losing some if Cano and obviously Granderson bolt. All they wind up really losing is potentially the compensation picks they would get for Cano and Granderson.

Then they can start out the winter of 2014/15 with all their draft picks.

• mikhelb - Dec 5, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Rojas has direct communication with hispanic players, Rosenthal is good, just not Rojas-good when it comes to hispanic players.

• rje49 - Dec 5, 2013 at 9:20 PM

I never believed the Rojas report in the first place, as I suggested in the 4:21pm report. I’ll say it again – the F****n Yankees won’t be outbid. Can’t see it happening.

• mtr75 - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Tell me one thing you’ve ever seen that’s endorsed by Robinson Cano. I live in New York and I’ve never seen him endorse a thing. He can’t speak English or run out a grounder. Why would anyone pay him to advertise anything?

• cur68 - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Try google. Its free.

• mtr75 - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Yeah, tell me one thing you’ve ever seen endorsed by Robinson Cano. I live in NY and I’ve never, ever seen him endorse anything. The fact that you have to google to find out only proves my point. I can tell which Jeter commercial is the funniest. The Cano commercials? Um, there aren’t any.

• cur68 - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Pepsi. Happy?

• cur68 - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Also, the whole planet isn’t NYC. The Yankee name with Cano’s face sells stuff in other parts of the world (Crazy, isn’t it? There really is more to the world than NYC. True fact.)

• mtr75 - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Oh, you’re talking his Dominican endorsements? Yeah, bet he makes mad bank on those. Seriously, go back to sleep.

• cur68 - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Seriously: his appeal to Latin Speaking People isn’t confined to The DR. Also, are you aware of the number of Latin Americans in NYC? Perhaps, you should stick your head out your door more often.

• mtr75 - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Of course I’m aware of how many Dominicans are in the city, making it all the more amazing that I have never, ever, ever seen his face on anything.

• cur68 - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Because YOU live under a rock doesn’t mean the rest of the planet does. Here, read this and learn something. Pay attention to the date, too. Its a new deal so perhaps you were still reviewing your “Lawrence Welk’s Latest Hits” collection and missed it:

• mtr75 - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:51 PM

I don’t know which is funnier, the fact that your link doesn’t open or the fact that you’re using Afro.com as a reference for anything. Do us both a favor: go to YouTube, enter “Robinson cano commercial” and tell me again what he endorses. Answer: nothing.

• cur68 - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Oh pardon moi: I selected one of several links to his pepsi deal. Didn’t realize it didn’t open. I guess Lawrence Welk didn’t prepare you for using a google search because “Cano Pepsi Commercial” has 135,000 results. Did you see the one where it describes his Pepsi commercial at at the AS Game? Here:

Also: got something against “Afro”? Or are you just a general jackass?

• mtr75 - Dec 5, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I got bored proving you wrong quite a while ago, but for an encore, google “cano Pepsi commercial,” click on videos, and tell me how many Robinson Cano Pepsi commercials you see. I’ll give you a hint: it’s zero.

• mtr75 - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Then, to feel even more stupid, google, “Robinson cano billboard,” click on images, and tell me what you seem him endorsing. Answer: nothing.

Thanks for playing.

• cur68 - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Please. Stop. You do know you’re showing THE WORLD what an asshole you are, right?

• mtr75 - Dec 5, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Ah, the ad hominem. Always the last gasp of desperation of someone losing an argument on the facts. Well done!

• cur68 - Dec 5, 2013 at 9:49 PM

You started it and, what’s more, you’re factually incorrect. That last is a small point which seems to elude you at every turn.

Robinson Cano has a large endorsement deal with Pepsi. He has another with Nike. Somehow, because YOU haven’t seen them they don’t exist.

Well, I’m done here. I have some work to do then I better get some sleep. Still, I had a laugh; you’re an amusingly obtuse person to trade comments with. Reminds me a bit of my old friend ‘halladaysbicepts”. I miss that guy. He could argue ENDLESSLY, about stuff he was patently wrong about, too.

Don’t be a stranger, now. Just by knowing an ad hominem comment when you see one you’ve rehabilitated yourself a bit, as far as I’m concerned. Now learn to recognize when you’ve made such a comment, eh?

• mtr75 - Dec 6, 2013 at 7:49 AM

Ah, the you started it response. When did I call you an insulting name? Fail.

• mtr75 - Dec 5, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Did you seriously say “Latin speaking people”??? Bwaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahaha!!! Yeah, those speakers of an extinct language, HUGE Cano fans!!! Lol

• cur68 - Dec 5, 2013 at 9:51 PM

sigh
        Don’t come off your meds, ok? Good night.

• mtr75 - Dec 6, 2013 at 7:50 AM

And he ends it with a boring cliche. Good god, you are…. boring.

• mikhelb - Dec 5, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Canó, David Ortíz, Miguel Cabrera and Pablo Sandoval are the four biggest ‘sellers’ in hispanoamerica in terms of merchandise, their appeal is way bigger than the appeal the best non-hipanic baseball player has outside of the US.

The “can’t speak english” approach is plainly stupid, specially considering he already dominates the hispanic market on par of what Ortíz has achieved. The only other player who created such expectation were Pedro Martínez and way way back Fernando Valenzuela.

• mtr75 - Dec 5, 2013 at 9:39 PM

I’m not quite sure what your point is. Why would an American baseball player be a big seller outside of the US, where people don’t play baseball? Sure, you can tell me they do in Latin America. Fine. Yippee. How big are the advertising and media markets there? In other words, how much does Cabrera make as a pitch man in Venezuela? My guess is very little, relatively speaking.

My girlfriend and half my friends are Hispanic. Most of them are Yankee fans. I don’t know one that gives a crap about Robinson Cano. The bottom line is, he’s in the biggest media market in the world and here we are literally scouring the internet to find something, anything he endorses. The original argument that was put forth is that he’d be leaving a ton of ad money on the table if he left NYC for Seattle, and it’s just not true.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 5, 2013 at 10:22 PM

5th link down is a youtube vid:

• mtr75 - Dec 6, 2013 at 7:51 AM

Fail. No there isn’t.

4. nyeagles10 - Dec 5, 2013 at 6:56 PM

he’s nut to leave NY . even if Yankees won’t topp the 160 170 mill range the endorsement deals alone will make him top 200 million. he’s face of the Yankees when jeter retiress

• 18thstreet - Dec 5, 2013 at 7:20 PM

What endorsements? Does he have any right now? I’m not asking sarcastically. I haven’t seen his face on anything.

And really, as soon as he signs his giant contract, he’ll be one of the most loathed players in baseball. That’s what always happens.

Cano should take whomever offers him the most money, after taxes are taken into consideration. If he plays well enough, the endorsements will come wherever he is.

• uyf1950 - Dec 5, 2013 at 7:29 PM

His face is on the inside cap of the Snapple promotion where when you take off the cap on the inside it says “you win nothing”. And yes I am being sarcastic, not a you but at the whole endorsement concept in general. When some team is willing to pay you $170MM as the Yankees are or say $195MM as maybe or maybe not the Mariners are what the heck do you need endorsements for.

• cur68 - Dec 5, 2013 at 7:32 PM

He’s got a deal with The Big Boy: Pepsi (courtesy of Jay Z, too). In the past he’s had a Nike deal as well. Might still have that one. I imagine there’s a sports drink or two with his fizz on it.

• anxovies - Dec 5, 2013 at 9:24 PM

“You win nothing.” Kind of apocryphal as far as a contract with Seattle is concerned, isn’t it? I don’t see acquiring Cano as making the Mariners competitive as far as the league pennant is concerned. Don’t know a lot about the team but #1 and #2 in the rotation look good and the rest seem to give up a lot of runs as do their relievers. Maybe they have younger players ready to step up, but who can tell? And Cano is not the type that inspires other players to overachieve. He is not going to carry the team.

• fanofevilempire - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:13 PM

there is no replacement for Cano on the free agent market.

5. cohnjusack - Dec 5, 2013 at 7:38 PM

At time of free agent signing

Albert Pujols: 86.5 career WAR, going into age 32 season
    Robinson Cano: 45.2 career WAR, going into age 31 season.

AND the Pujols contract was awful anyway. But yeah…it makes total sense for Cano to get the same amount in the free agent market.

6. thisdamnbox - Dec 5, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Robbie Cano will not be a Mariner next year. They could offer him ‘The Safe’, a pile of Microsoft stock, the city of Seattle and Zoe Saldana sunny-side down and, ultimately, he’d turn it down…It’s all posturing for the Yankees, Dodgers, BoSox or other “buy a championship” teams…Jack Z is desperate. His 4-5 year plan has failed. And he’ll hemorrhage the future of the franchise if he trades Walker and pawns for David Price…

• 18thstreet - Dec 5, 2013 at 9:16 PM

You know what? Seattle is awesome. Absolutely awesome. There’s 28 teams non-New York teams playing in major league. And players often accept money to play in them. It’s true! You can look it up!

There is no good reason — NONE — for Robinson Cano to take less money to play for the sinking ship in the Bronx instead of trying to build something new, alongside Felix Hernandez, in Seattle.

• 18thstreet - Dec 5, 2013 at 9:27 PM

It’s amazing that any of us ever heard about Alex Rodriguez, Ken Griffey, or Ichiro, given all those years they played in that tiny backwater, Seattle. In fact, they were among the most popular players in all of baseball. I don’t know how it’s possible!

Seattle! Pish-posh! Everyone knows that to really make money, you have to go to New Bedford, Massachusetts and make it big in whaling.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go polish my monocle. Imagine! Thinking a professional athlete would want to play anywhere other than the Bronx?! As if.

7. 27ringsandcounting - Dec 5, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Seattle better be putting on the “full-court press” and not let him leave without a contract, because if he leaves he will not be coming back.

8. dawgpoundmember - Dec 5, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Oh the suspense is killing me! And, it is not even the winter meetings yet!

9. uyf1950 - Dec 5, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Color me surprised yet another rumor about a Seattle supposed offer coming for Cano’s services. Take your pick of which one to believe:
    A) 10 years $230 to $240MM
    B) some less then $200MM but more then the Yankees $180 to $170MM
    C) 9 years $225MM
    D) None of the above.

10. pisano - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Good God Cano, just go, you’re wearing real thin to Yankee fans.

11. mianfr - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:38 PM

If that’s true, hard to imagine he says no or the Yankees match…

Well, Kelly Johnson had a good season once or something, right?

12. spudchukar - Dec 5, 2013 at 8:54 PM

IMHO the best thing that could happen to the Yanks is a Cano signing in Seattle. They need power and pitching. Certainly they lose power if Cano goes, but retaining him probably means they cannot get the arms they need.

Best scenario. Sign Beltran. Trade Gardner and Nunez. Keep Soriano for a mostly DH. Re-sign Kuroda, search for a closer, trade for a 3B, maybe Headley, sign Infante, and find another starter. By moving Gardner they unburden themselves with the multiple lead-off types.

Beltran basically replaces Cano offensively. McCann gives them increased punch, and perhaps Texeira rounds out the power. Ideally, Tanaka would be the other hurler, but I doubt if they will be able to afford him, if he becomes eligible.

I just don’t see how they win with an outfield of Ellsbury, Gardner, and Ichiro. Three lead-off hitters, and Jeter makes 4, and most likely their 3B and 2B options aren’t going to offer much power either, so secure a corner outfielder with pop.

Then get pitching, starters and closer, and plug the gaps, and then they don’t have the glaring holes that would prevent them from succeeding.

13. raysfan1 - Dec 5, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Just to summarize the $200+M contracts listed above:
    Pujols–albatross
    A-Rod 1st huge deal–not an albatross, but more than anyone but the Yankees could afford
    A-Rod 2–albatross
    Hamilton–albatross
    Howard–albatross
    Hernandez–not an albatross, at least for now

So, small sample size here, but there are plenty of other examples of huge FA deals and the trend is clear. Don’t do it, Mariners. You’re more than one at away from contending anyway. Don’t hamstring your budget signing a deal you will ultimately regret.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 5, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Neither Hamilton, Hernandez, nor Howard signed $200M contracts.

• raysfan1 - Dec 5, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Mea culpa.

Still albatrosses.

• cackalackyank - Dec 5, 2013 at 10:37 PM

You left out CC- albatross in waiting

14. rcali - Dec 5, 2013 at 9:36 PM

So how are they going to handle him jogging to first base after giving him $240 mill? Based on the M’s payroll, they can afford him and if they don’t spend the money with him they should spend it somewhere besides the owners pockets.

15. swu32733 - Dec 5, 2013 at 9:48 PM

One high priced free agent won’t make a significant difference for the Ms. Take the $25M per year and hire Billy Beane. That would make a difference.

16. FlyFromTheInside - Dec 5, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Welcome to the Mariners. No way the yankees match now that they have signed his replacement in Johnson and forked out WAY to much money to Elsbury

17. mighty12thman - Dec 5, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Jay-Z is taking same approach as the NBA and NHL.

18. chaimtavish - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Cano will sign with the Mariners, who then will land Billy Butler as DH, and David Price as their #3. Then, the playoffs.

19. jburk003 - Dec 6, 2013 at 1:55 AM

If Canos smart he takes one good look at Pujlos and says “where do I sign?”.

That’s robbery. Great deal if your in Cano’s shoes. Ask the Yankees, Giants, Rangers, Angels, and the Mets how mega deals work out in the end. Few end up living up to the expectations

• pilonflats - Dec 6, 2013 at 2:37 AM

as a giants fan, in retrospect, the zito deal was worth EVERY penny…

20. sleepyirv - Dec 6, 2013 at 6:32 AM

What are the Mariners buying here?

A 200 million dollar Cano might be a good idea if you’re a 2nd baseman away from contending. Maybe not, but at least that’s when you’re having the conversation. The Mariners are so far out of it that they’re far better off using that money to get some role players and add a few sweetners to trades.

21. arckln - Dec 6, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I think the only logical thing at this point is for Jay-Z to buy the Marlins, move them to Brooklyn, and sign Cano.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5576)