Dec 5, 2013, 9:02 PM EDT
We heard earlier this week that free agent outfielder Carlos Beltran had a three-year, $48 million offer in hand from an unidentified team. Most assumed that it came from the Royals, as they have been the hottest team on him recently, but FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal hears that no such offer was made.
Even if ownership gave approval to make a three-year, $48 million offer, the Royals would likely have to shed some payroll to make room. Billy Butler, who is owed $8 million in 2014, would be the most likely player to be moved. That’s why today’s acquisition of outfielder Norichika Aoki doesn’t necessarily take them out of the mix for Beltran. ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reported earlier today that nothing is considered imminent and Beltran is more likely to sign at next week’s Winter Meetings, so there’s still time for another team to swoop in.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)