Dec 5, 2013, 9:02 PM EDT
We heard earlier this week that free agent outfielder Carlos Beltran had a three-year, $48 million offer in hand from an unidentified team. Most assumed that it came from the Royals, as they have been the hottest team on him recently, but FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal hears that no such offer was made.
Even if ownership gave approval to make a three-year, $48 million offer, the Royals would likely have to shed some payroll to make room. Billy Butler, who is owed $8 million in 2014, would be the most likely player to be moved. That’s why today’s acquisition of outfielder Norichika Aoki doesn’t necessarily take them out of the mix for Beltran. ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reported earlier today that nothing is considered imminent and Beltran is more likely to sign at next week’s Winter Meetings, so there’s still time for another team to swoop in.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)