Dec 5, 2013, 9:02 PM EDT
We heard earlier this week that free agent outfielder Carlos Beltran had a three-year, $48 million offer in hand from an unidentified team. Most assumed that it came from the Royals, as they have been the hottest team on him recently, but FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal hears that no such offer was made.
Even if ownership gave approval to make a three-year, $48 million offer, the Royals would likely have to shed some payroll to make room. Billy Butler, who is owed $8 million in 2014, would be the most likely player to be moved. That’s why today’s acquisition of outfielder Norichika Aoki doesn’t necessarily take them out of the mix for Beltran. ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reported earlier today that nothing is considered imminent and Beltran is more likely to sign at next week’s Winter Meetings, so there’s still time for another team to swoop in.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)