Dec 5, 2013, 9:02 PM EDT
We heard earlier this week that free agent outfielder Carlos Beltran had a three-year, $48 million offer in hand from an unidentified team. Most assumed that it came from the Royals, as they have been the hottest team on him recently, but FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal hears that no such offer was made.
Even if ownership gave approval to make a three-year, $48 million offer, the Royals would likely have to shed some payroll to make room. Billy Butler, who is owed $8 million in 2014, would be the most likely player to be moved. That’s why today’s acquisition of outfielder Norichika Aoki doesn’t necessarily take them out of the mix for Beltran. ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reported earlier today that nothing is considered imminent and Beltran is more likely to sign at next week’s Winter Meetings, so there’s still time for another team to swoop in.
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 31
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 174
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (173)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)