Dec 6, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
When it was announced that the Brewers had acquired lefty hurler Will Smith from the Royals for outfielder Norichika Aoki, the Internet was rife with Fresh Prince jokes, for the baseball player shares the same name as the star of the hit ’90’s sitcom The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.
Smith has heard the references plenty of times before. Via Dave Brown of Yahoo! Sports:
“Remember that ESPN commercial that came out with Michael Jordan?” he said in a conference call with reporters. “That’s basically my life.”
When did the jokes get old?
“That’s a good question,” Smith said with a sigh. “I get them all the time. I think I’ve just learned to live with it. Some of them are funny, but some of them are just, ‘Come on…’ It’s all in good fun. I enjoy it. I mean, I’m a white guy named Will Smith. There it is.”
Guys who make the obvious Will Smith jokes are just Bad Boys. It’s like the Wild Wild West out there. Just hope he doesn’t get Hitched on the same team with [The Legend of Bagger] Vance Worley… I’m so sorry.
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 6
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 30
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 10
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 29
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (190)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)