Dec 6, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
When it was announced that the Brewers had acquired lefty hurler Will Smith from the Royals for outfielder Norichika Aoki, the Internet was rife with Fresh Prince jokes, for the baseball player shares the same name as the star of the hit ’90’s sitcom The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.
Smith has heard the references plenty of times before. Via Dave Brown of Yahoo! Sports:
“Remember that ESPN commercial that came out with Michael Jordan?” he said in a conference call with reporters. “That’s basically my life.”
When did the jokes get old?
“That’s a good question,” Smith said with a sigh. “I get them all the time. I think I’ve just learned to live with it. Some of them are funny, but some of them are just, ‘Come on…’ It’s all in good fun. I enjoy it. I mean, I’m a white guy named Will Smith. There it is.”
Guys who make the obvious Will Smith jokes are just Bad Boys. It’s like the Wild Wild West out there. Just hope he doesn’t get Hitched on the same team with [The Legend of Bagger] Vance Worley… I’m so sorry.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 44
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 27
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 59
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)