Dec 6, 2013, 9:00 PM EST
When it was announced that the Brewers had acquired lefty hurler Will Smith from the Royals for outfielder Norichika Aoki, the Internet was rife with Fresh Prince jokes, for the baseball player shares the same name as the star of the hit ’90′s sitcom The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.
Smith has heard the references plenty of times before. Via Dave Brown of Yahoo! Sports:
“Remember that ESPN commercial that came out with Michael Jordan?” he said in a conference call with reporters. “That’s basically my life.”
When did the jokes get old?
“That’s a good question,” Smith said with a sigh. “I get them all the time. I think I’ve just learned to live with it. Some of them are funny, but some of them are just, ‘Come on…’ It’s all in good fun. I enjoy it. I mean, I’m a white guy named Will Smith. There it is.”
Guys who make the obvious Will Smith jokes are just Bad Boys. It’s like the Wild Wild West out there. Just hope he doesn’t get Hitched on the same team with [The Legend of Bagger] Vance Worley… I’m so sorry.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 69
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 122
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)