Brewers lefty Will Smith has already heard your jokes

Dec 6, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT

smith Getty Images

When it was announced that the Brewers had acquired lefty hurler Will Smith from the Royals for outfielder Norichika Aoki, the Internet was rife with Fresh Prince jokes, for the baseball player shares the same name as the star of the hit ’90’s sitcom The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

Smith has heard the references plenty of times before. Via Dave Brown of Yahoo! Sports:

“Remember that ESPN commercial that came out with Michael Jordan?” he said in a conference call with reporters. “That’s basically my life.”

When did the jokes get old?

“That’s a good question,” Smith said with a sigh. “I get them all the time. I think I’ve just learned to live with it. Some of them are funny, but some of them are just, ‘Come on…’ It’s all in good fun. I enjoy it. I mean, I’m a white guy named Will Smith. There it is.”

Guys who make the obvious Will Smith jokes are just Bad Boys. It’s like the Wild Wild West out there. Just hope he doesn’t get Hitched on the same team with [The Legend of Bagger] Vance Worley… I’m so sorry.

1. ningenito78 - Dec 6, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Your parents must have made you watch PBS when you were a kid. The show I watched was Fresh Prince not French Prince.

• Bill Baer - Dec 6, 2013 at 9:22 PM

One of the French Prince’s most famous lines occurred when Will said to Uncle Phillippe, “How come he don’t want me, garcon?”

2. therealbigben - Dec 6, 2013 at 9:04 PM

“Will Smith don’t have to cuss in his raps to sell records. Well I do so eff him and eff you too” Eminem

3. nymets4ever - Dec 6, 2013 at 9:08 PM

I gave up one little lead and Dayton Moore got scared, he said you’re going to Milwaukee where you’ll be caught by Gerald Laird…

wait, Laird plays for the Braves? Well, I tried..

4. contraryguy - Dec 6, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Gee, and I was going to compliment him on how he’s anchored the Saints defensive line up to now…

5. scotttheskeptic - Dec 6, 2013 at 9:27 PM

C’mon, Bill, you’re a Philly guy. FRESH Prince, French Prince!

6. ditka96 - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:36 PM

And here all I was thinking about was seeing both Front Row Amy and Jada Pinkett sitting there front and center at Miller Park.

7. ditka96 - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:39 PM

And all I was thinking about was seeing Front Row Amy and Jada Pinkett front and center at Miller Park…

8. ptfu - Dec 7, 2013 at 12:19 AM

9. km9000 - Dec 7, 2013 at 12:19 AM

At some point don’t you just decide to go by William, Willy, Willie, Bill, or Billy? Apparently his parents didn’t have much imagination, because his middle name is Michael.

10. sfm073 - Dec 7, 2013 at 12:56 AM

My brothers name is Ricky martin and he was in high school when the singer got popular. I think he had it worse.

11. dicicco75 - Dec 7, 2013 at 1:48 AM

He seems a good sport about it at least he he is not jaden

12. rbj1 - Dec 7, 2013 at 9:03 AM

I bet Smith is just waiting to wear one of the Brewers’ alternate jerseys, so he can be one of the Men in Black.

13. b453841l - Dec 7, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Typical Will Smith: always complaining about how it’s the other guys who started makin’ trouble in his neighborhood. I bet he will hit it of well with “Jazzy” Jeff Bianchi. They can bring back Prince Fielder to play Uncle Phil. Whatever happens, this season should be filled with hilarious hijinks from Miller Park.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3095)