Dec 6, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
Despite a solid showing in a limited sample of innings at the end of the 2013 regular season and in the post-season with the Cardinals, reliever John Axford was non-tendered as he was set to earn at least $4 million following back-to-back poor seasons with the Brewers and falling out of the closer’s role. MLB’s collective bargaining agreement stipulates that a player’s salary cannot be cut by more than 20 percent through the arbitration process. Now a free agent, Axford is free to negotiate with any team and his future salaries are not dictated by the 20 percent rule.
CSN Chicago’s Patrick Mooney is reporting that Axford and the Cubs have shown mutual interest. Axford had taken to Twitter humorously clamoring for a job, tweeting:
MST (Man Seeking Team) – Tall athletic male with blue/green eyes and a love for film and mustaches seeking loving team for employment!
— John Axford (@JohnAxford) December 3, 2013
The Cubs are taking him at his word, looking to move on from a theatrical close to the Kevin Gregg era in Chicago. Axford will turn 31 years old on April 1 and, if his performance towards the end of 2013 is to be believed, still has a little something left in the tank.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)