Dec 6, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
Despite a solid showing in a limited sample of innings at the end of the 2013 regular season and in the post-season with the Cardinals, reliever John Axford was non-tendered as he was set to earn at least $4 million following back-to-back poor seasons with the Brewers and falling out of the closer’s role. MLB’s collective bargaining agreement stipulates that a player’s salary cannot be cut by more than 20 percent through the arbitration process. Now a free agent, Axford is free to negotiate with any team and his future salaries are not dictated by the 20 percent rule.
CSN Chicago’s Patrick Mooney is reporting that Axford and the Cubs have shown mutual interest. Axford had taken to Twitter humorously clamoring for a job, tweeting:
MST (Man Seeking Team) – Tall athletic male with blue/green eyes and a love for film and mustaches seeking loving team for employment!
— John Axford (@JohnAxford) December 3, 2013
The Cubs are taking him at his word, looking to move on from a theatrical close to the Kevin Gregg era in Chicago. Axford will turn 31 years old on April 1 and, if his performance towards the end of 2013 is to be believed, still has a little something left in the tank.
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 7
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 38
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 28
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)