Dec 6, 2013, 6:30 PM EST
Despite a solid showing in a limited sample of innings at the end of the 2013 regular season and in the post-season with the Cardinals, reliever John Axford was non-tendered as he was set to earn at least $4 million following back-to-back poor seasons with the Brewers and falling out of the closer’s role. MLB’s collective bargaining agreement stipulates that a player’s salary cannot be cut by more than 20 percent through the arbitration process. Now a free agent, Axford is free to negotiate with any team and his future salaries are not dictated by the 20 percent rule.
CSN Chicago’s Patrick Mooney is reporting that Axford and the Cubs have shown mutual interest. Axford had taken to Twitter humorously clamoring for a job, tweeting:
MST (Man Seeking Team) – Tall athletic male with blue/green eyes and a love for film and mustaches seeking loving team for employment!
— John Axford (@JohnAxford) December 3, 2013
The Cubs are taking him at his word, looking to move on from a theatrical close to the Kevin Gregg era in Chicago. Axford will turn 31 years old on April 1 and, if his performance towards the end of 2013 is to be believed, still has a little something left in the tank.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)