Dec 6, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
Despite a solid showing in a limited sample of innings at the end of the 2013 regular season and in the post-season with the Cardinals, reliever John Axford was non-tendered as he was set to earn at least $4 million following back-to-back poor seasons with the Brewers and falling out of the closer’s role. MLB’s collective bargaining agreement stipulates that a player’s salary cannot be cut by more than 20 percent through the arbitration process. Now a free agent, Axford is free to negotiate with any team and his future salaries are not dictated by the 20 percent rule.
CSN Chicago’s Patrick Mooney is reporting that Axford and the Cubs have shown mutual interest. Axford had taken to Twitter humorously clamoring for a job, tweeting:
MST (Man Seeking Team) – Tall athletic male with blue/green eyes and a love for film and mustaches seeking loving team for employment!
— John Axford (@JohnAxford) December 3, 2013
The Cubs are taking him at his word, looking to move on from a theatrical close to the Kevin Gregg era in Chicago. Axford will turn 31 years old on April 1 and, if his performance towards the end of 2013 is to be believed, still has a little something left in the tank.
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 3
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 19
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)