Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million)

Dec 6, 2013, 11:48 AM EST

Curtis Granderson Getty Images

In a big move that will nonetheless get almost zero attention among New York sports fans today, Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that the Mets have signed former Yankees outfielder Curtis Granderson to a four-year contract. Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com says it’s worth $60 million.

Granderson missed more than 100 games with injuries this year and hit just .227 with a .723 OPS when healthy enough to be in the lineup for the lowest OPS of his career. However, during his first three seasons with the Yankees he played 452 of a possible 486 games while posting an .843 OPS that ranked 14th among all MLB outfielders.

As a low-batting average, high-strikeout player whose declining defense may soon force him to an outfield corner full time making a commitment to Granderson through age 36 is a big risk, but $60 million is exactly what Fan Graphs pegged his value at during the past four seasons even with all the missed time this year.

1. chill1184 - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Jason Bay 2.0 unless he proves me wrong which I doubt

2. fanofevilempire - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Good sign, a few more and the Mets will play major league baseball next year.

• sparty0n - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Only if the plan is to keep getting early first round draft picks and be competitive in 2018.

3. fanofevilempire - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:53 AM

chillydog, you talk a lot of sheet but you never say what team you like, I wonder why.

• chill1184 - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:57 AM

If you must know

MLB: Mets

NFL: Steelers

NHL: Devils

and I dont watch basketball are you happy now?

• fanofevilempire - Dec 6, 2013 at 1:27 PM

• basedrum777 - Dec 6, 2013 at 5:20 PM

LOL So you’re from NJ but are a frontrunner in the NFL. Nice.

• dondada10 - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I don’t think Chill has ever denied being a Mets fan.

• fanofevilempire - Dec 6, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I never said he did, if likes the Mets that’s who he likes, it’s America, people come after me because of my screen name, so be it, I won’t hide it.
        I find it funny that a lot of people won’t say who there team is but they come after the BIG Dawg who sells out their stadium when Yankees come to town.

• jimeejohnson - Dec 7, 2013 at 11:26 AM

People come after you cause you’re a New York a-hole. Other than that you are a good guy.

4. President Charles Logan - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:57 AM

lol ………….. the mets ..
    nuff said

• aceshigh11 - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Charles Logan…great reference. Loved 24!

• President Charles Logan - Dec 6, 2013 at 1:17 PM

best show ever! aces!

5. xdj511 - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I was still trying to process the Cano signing. Now I’m just speechless. There is some hope that this won’t turn out JUST like Jason Bay… I mean what are the odds his production doesn’t drop significantly moving from a hitter’s park to spacious Citi Field? What are the odds he won’t crash into the wall midway through his second disappointing season and end up with a concussion that he never really recovers from? This has to turn out differently, right?

• fanofevilempire - Dec 6, 2013 at 1:31 PM

what?

WARNING,PLEASE DON’T READ THIS.

• anxovies - Dec 6, 2013 at 5:12 PM

I never understood why the Mets didn’t go all the way and lower the RF and LF walls and bring them in 20 more feet. Its not like the fans have been busting down the gates to watch the pitching in recent years. There is a reason they don’t have a Strikeout Derby or a Ground Ball Out Derby in the All Star Game.

6. yardleyphils - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Good deal for both sides. Not too long, not too much money. Time for the Mets to pull in the corners.

• missthemexpos - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:09 PM

That pretty much sums up the world of free agency these days when 60 million is not too much money.

• losangelesfan - Dec 6, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Mexpos would be a good nickname if they ever put a team in Mexico City.

7. voteforno6 - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:11 PM

So, does this mean that the highest-paid outfielder for the Mets will actually be playing for them this year?

8. President Charles Logan - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:14 PM

the mets will be buried for years in the standings even when harvey comes back some day

9. m3dman3 - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Love throwing the Mets our garbage, enjoy irrelevant New York baseball team!

• nymets4ever - Dec 6, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Don’t worry, while we took your trash, Seattle took your treasure. Haha

• fanofevilempire - Dec 6, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I have to say this- (check my screen name)-Ellsbury gank’d the Yankees for that paper
        and how many games has Cano missed with his non- hustle 7 and Ellsbury?

• m3dman3 - Dec 6, 2013 at 10:35 PM

lol they can have him for that. He will never be relevant again, just like the mets never were.

10. uyf1950 - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Granderson will be 33 to start the 2014 season. Four years/$60MM not a bad deal for either party. We all know Granderson was not coming back to the Yankees, so him moving on is no surprise.

This signing and the signing of Cano by the Mariners mean the Yankees lost 2 picks with their signings of McCann and Ellsbury but got 2 picks for Granderson and Cano. Means the Yankees still have their 2nd round pick in the June 2014 draft.

• sparty0n - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I think the Mets wound up in the top ten. So I dont they will give up a 1st rd pick with the signing…

But, I could be wrong

• Kevin S. - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:31 PM

It doesn’t matter what pick the Mets give up, Yanks still get the same comp pick. Yankees get two comp picks from losing Cano and Granderson, but lose their first and one of those comp picks (I thought it would be their second, but sounds like the comps aren’t protected). So basically, the Yankees move back something like 10-12 spots in the first round of the draft for going from Cano/Granderson to McCann/Ellsbury.

• uyf1950 - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Kevin, that’s exactly the case but the Yankees do move down more then 10 or 12 spots.

Say now the first round is 25 picks the Yankees were the 18th pick of the original 31 picks
        The compensation round another 10 picks (estimate)
        The 2nd round the Yankees get the 17th pick in this round now.

As of right now the Yankees had the 18th pick in the 1st round and now their 1st pick isn’t until the 2nd round at the 17th pick. And I’m not sure the Yankees are finished signing players associated with QO’ers. They may very well lose that 2nd round pick too. But if they are able to sign either Beltran or Choo it’s well worth it.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Dec 6, 2013 at 1:44 PM

ufy, the Yankees lost their first rounder and the Cano compensation pick, but they should get a Granderson compensation pick and their own second rounder, no? (Unless of course they go out and sign another FA who got a QA)

• pjmarn6 - Dec 6, 2013 at 8:00 PM

A baseball player plays an average of 5 years. Granderson is over the hill at 33. Teams will never learn. As long as spectators don’t mind paying through the nose, this ridiculous trend will continue.
      Make this part time players multimillionaires and like Rodriguez they will cozy up to that billionaire Buffett to get investment advice.
      The managers used to get angry at the players reading about the nags racing, now the managers get mad at so many players reading the Wall Street Journal.

11. Mr. Wright 212 - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Grandy will be fine, and you know Sandy loves the numbers (metrics), so naturally the contract aligns with the FanGraphs value.

12. sparty0n - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:17 PM

How does a guy that hit .248 over the last 4 years/ .239 over the last 2, land that kind of deal?

• leylandshospicenurse - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:40 PM

BJ Upton

• President Charles Logan - Dec 6, 2013 at 3:38 PM

BJ Upton will prove to be the worst signing in MLB history , you watch.

• fanofevilempire - Dec 6, 2013 at 1:38 PM

you rather pay Ellsbury, Grandy is a better sign.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Dec 6, 2013 at 1:45 PM

80 bombs over his last 2 healthy seasons, and nothing to really indicate that he can’t get back to that.

• paperlions - Dec 6, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Except for age and not getting to hit pop ups into the Yankee stadium jet stream.

This isn’t a horrible deal, but he’s a below average CFer now, hits for power but is OBP challenged. That’s a limited ceiling in terms of value/production.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Dec 6, 2013 at 2:04 PM

In CitiField he should definitely play a corner, or else the team is playing against their own park. He will be quite good in left, and they can get/keep a speedy CF to scoop up fly balls. (Lagares?)

Perhaps in the National league he will remember to steal bases once in a while, and away from Yankee Stadium he could hit the other way a little. At $15MM I would say the Mets are getting fair value here.

• anxovies - Dec 6, 2013 at 4:55 PM

When he hits 108 HR and drives in 272 runs in 3 of them.

13. artthoumad - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Congratulations to Granderson. I loved his post game interviews. He is as professional as it gets. Hopefully he still has his powerstroke at Citi Field.

14. ryanrockzzz - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I don’t see a major problem with this move. 15 million per year isn’t something that shouldn’t hold the Mets back if Granderson continues to decline. Interesting they would want a player who’s career was helped by a small barkpark in one of the worst offensive parks in the league. I think that will have an effect on Granderson’s career with the Mets.

15. southofheaven81 - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Viva not having to shop for a new apartment!

16. jfk69 - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Good luck Grandy. The Mets final broke the ice before they were no outfielders of note left. That Jason Bay contract really affected them.

17. mtr75 - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I gleefully announce that I was wrong that the Mets wouldn’t do jack squat this offseason. I’m not really sure how I feel about this deal, but it’s at least something. I’m more just excited about the fact that we aren’t doing absolutely nothing, which is what I figured they’d do.

18. popi1956 - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Hey the Mets Signed some one……

19. sdelmonte - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:50 PM

4 years is too long. And it feels like the Mets just never do well with big name free agents (which is probably an overstatement, given that I am a Beltran booster to this day). And I don’t know if he’s a good match.

But what the heck, it’s a big name and a guy who did well in NYC and who is leaving the team we all hate on the same day as Cano. So I will take it.

• bolweevils2 - Dec 6, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I’m with you there. Granderson isn’t a guy to make them competitive again, He’s just a guy to fill a space and be reasonably viable to hold them over until they can be competitive again. So I’d have rather seen it for fewer years, and I don’t know that any other team was offering 4 years so why cave? But it’s a decent bat so I can’t gripe too much.

I just hope the let Legares stay in center instead of moving him to a corner to make room for the higher paid guys, Young and Granderson. Heck, I’m not 100% convinced Young will end up being any better overall than Legares anyway.

• fanofevilempire - Dec 6, 2013 at 1:39 PM

they had to go the extra year.

• sdelmonte - Dec 6, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I get that. Doesn’t mean I have to like it.

20. gordongetgo - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:55 PM

The Granderson signing reminds me of the Pedro Martinez signing in many ways. Its a signal of a shift in mind-set. While Pedro himself was never worth the contract he signed… his contract meant more to the organization than his performance on the field. This move here reminds me of that. The facts are 1) he has Major League ability 2) Has proven he can play in the New York Media Market and 3) By all accounts, is a good dude. Lets go Mets!

21. popi1956 - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Hey the mets sign some one

22. 1969l78 - Dec 6, 2013 at 1:06 PM

If Boras was his agent he would have got a lot more $$$$$$ looks like J-Z blows

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Dec 6, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Jay z does not represent Granderson.

23. phillysports1 - Dec 6, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Pedro signed a 4-year, $53 million contract with the New York Mets In 2005, his first season as a Met, Martínez posted a 15–8 record with a 2.82 ERA, 208 strikeouts, and a league-leading 0.95 WHIP. It was his sixth league WHIP title, he led the Major Leagues in the category. Opponents batted .204 against him that year . 7 million dollars less than Curtis deal . So that’s a great first season so he deff lived up to his contract his first year .

Please don’t compare him to Curtis

24. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Dec 6, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Good guy, good player, reasonable contract, happy he is staying in NY.

With Lagares on the roster and that park the Mets play in, they should definitely move Grandy to LF. He’ll be an above avg fielder there and the bat is good enough to justify the position.

25. cackalackyank - Dec 6, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I think this is actually pretty good for both parties. The first year will be rough though. Until Granderson learns not to keep trying to swing for a RF porch that doesn’t exist in Citi Field there will be a lot of K’s and long fly ball outs. Once he re adjusts and loses the K Long mentality he will get back to hitting @ .260 with a little less HR. The Mets get a real good guy, and are able to tell their fans they are still able/willing to do something.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3322)
  2. J. Kang (3145)
  3. C. McGehee (2855)
  4. J. Upton (2853)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2834)
  1. D. Ross (2688)