Joey Votto creates foundation to help those suffering from PTSD

Dec 6, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT

Joey Votto

Joey Votto contributes to a good cause on the baseball field by getting on base nearly one out of every two times he comes to the plate, and hitting for power to boot. But now he’s contributing to a great cause off the field with the creation of the Joey Votto Foundation, aimed to support victims of post-traumatic stress disorder, or PTSD.

PTSD is a condition people tend to develop after a traumatic event, as the name would imply. The condition is commonly linked with service men and women returning from combat overseas, but affects victims of sexual assault, nonsexual violence, and in Votto’s case, an unexpected death of a close family member or friend. As Votto details in a column for the Cincinnati Enquirer, his father died unexpectedly and it affected Votto profoundly. It wasn’t until he received treatment for PTSD that he understood the magnitude of the condition.

In 2008, during my second year in the majors, my father passed away suddenly. My grief led to overwhelming panic attacks and bouts of depression that landed me on the disabled list due to stress the following season.

I received much needed and very effective treatment.

Without it, I am not sure where I would be today.

I’ve combined my personal perspective on the healing power of clinical professionals with my appreciation for the deserving military heroes who need similar help. As a result, my off-the-field focus these days is on fighting for the cause of veterans and service members who need help healing their nonphysical wounds.

While Votto has been a polarizing figure recently in the ongoing feud between fans of traditional stats and fans of Sabermetrics, the Joey Votto Foundation is something everyone can get behind and support.

1. drewsylvania - Dec 6, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Huge.

2. mick2014 - Dec 6, 2013 at 6:28 PM

tax writeoff for votto!

3. thomas844 - Dec 6, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Great cause to support. It’s refreshing to see a big star who is humble and courageous enough to talk about his past struggles and use it to aid others. Psychological disorders are something that can be just as serious as physical disorders, but they are not addressed nearly enough in my opinion. Kudos to you for starting this foundation, Mr. Votto!

4. tfbuckfutter - Dec 6, 2013 at 6:53 PM

PTSD is so cold and modern.

He should have started a foundation for Shell Shock. He could have driven in a lot more donations that way.

Either way though, clutch move by the dude.

5. proudlycanadian - Dec 6, 2013 at 7:03 PM

A class act!

6. ptfu - Dec 6, 2013 at 7:15 PM

A lot of people are stranded out there. Joey Votto is trying to bring them home safely.

• tfbuckfutter - Dec 6, 2013 at 8:08 PM

That’s Brandon Phillips organization.

Joey Votto does nothing to help those stranded people except sometimes walk out to where they are stranded, and ends up getting stranded as well.

• thomas844 - Dec 6, 2013 at 9:36 PM

How does he get stranded when Phillips and Bruce, both with 100+ RBI this season, hit behind him and drive him in?

• tfbuckfutter - Dec 6, 2013 at 9:39 PM

The analogies are not well thought out man.

Don’t pull at the strings.

7. alexo0 - Dec 6, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Unfortunately there has been several military suicides that happened in Canada recently. Would imagine they really hit home for Votto.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2548)