Not so fast: Robinson Cano’s talks with Mariners “still alive”

Dec 6, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT

cano gray getty Getty Images

For all the drama being reported this morning about Robinson Cano‘s talks with the Mariners falling apart over Jay Z’s negotiating tactics–and multiple well-respected reporters more or less confirming the story–Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com now says the talks are “still alive.”

Who knows what exactly that means at this point, but if nothing else the idea that Jay Z and Cano overplayed their hand so much that it completely ruled out the Mariners as a landing spot seems to be overblown.

Imagine that.

1. johnnysoda - Dec 6, 2013 at 10:32 AM

At this point, I can’t believe anything until a deal becomes official.

• dcfan4life - Dec 6, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Its a classic case of the Mariners made an offer, Jay-Z asked for more, the Mariners said hell no, now there deciding on taking the original offer. My guess is they will take it.

• fanofevilempire - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:03 AM

HOW DUMB IS HOV AGAIN ?

HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA………..

10@240MIL………

GET YA MONEY!

• fanofevilempire - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Cano brushed the Yankees off his shoulders…………..
      go on brush ya shoulders off…………..

2. tfbuckfutter - Dec 6, 2013 at 10:34 AM

“Mr. Lincoln, my client has reviewed your counter offer of ‘go **** yourself’ and we would like to reconsider the original proposal.”

• fanofevilempire - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I thought he ” exploded “?

3. eshine76 - Dec 6, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Jay-Z: “Hey, I’m sorry about last night. Please tell me that 9-year deal still on the table.”

• fanofevilempire - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Lincoln- nah, we gonna give you 10 @ 240 mil and lifetime membership for free Starbucks.

4. xdj511 - Dec 6, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Wait… the previous heresay report wasn’t true… is this heresay report true? I don’t know what to believe anymore! Someone please get me off this roller coaster!

5. deathmonkey41 - Dec 6, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Tired of this story. Pretty soon, I’m going to be acceptable to the Yankees trading for Ramiro Pena back to play 2nd base.

• fanofevilempire - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:05 AM

maybe Jeter will cover 2nd and SS

• proudlycanadian - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Jeter has enough trouble covering SS.

6. cptnew1 - Dec 6, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Must have realized he can struggle by on 225 Mil…Have to keep your family fed, ask Albert Pujols.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:00 AM

That’s Latrell Sprewell that made the claim about not being enough to feed his family. Don’t drag Pujols into this.

• fanofevilempire - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Canadian, stop it,NO GIFT BASKET FOR YOU!

7. flamethrower101 - Dec 6, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Jon Heyman now reporting the two sides are “close” to a deal. Son of a gun, this is actually happening.

• xdj511 - Dec 6, 2013 at 10:57 AM

What do these people do… sit outside the meeting rooms with their ears to a glass pressed against the wall? “The deal’s off!” “No wait, they’re close!” “Shh… I can’t hear anything… no wait… I hear footsteps…. everybody look busy!”

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:01 AM

It’s how TJ Quinn got the scoop on Bonds grand jury testimony

• fanofevilempire - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:13 AM

no silly, you call up the Daily News and Post and lie to them.

8. phillysports1 - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Mariners don’t do it . You can Invest your $200 + million on 5-6 solid players .

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:03 AM

1 – name them
      2 – it’s better to have one MVP player than two/three good players, b/c you are limited by roster size

• Kevin S. - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:05 AM

You really aren’t aware of how much “5-6 solid players” cost these days, are you?

• fanofevilempire - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:14 AM

but where and who are the players.

9. losangelesfan - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Arte just called Jay-Z and offered 10 years $280 million. Take it or leave it.

10. bigguy54 - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:05 AM

10/240 agreed deal physical on Monday. Now go get Choo and another OF’er, then if Tanaka is posted get him too.

• fanofevilempire - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I guess the Yankees will put up a fence around second base and say it’s not in play.

11. cur68 - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Of course it wasn’t true. What kind of negotiation breaks down because one side counteroffers? This isn’t a deal for cantaloupes at the farmer’s market. I’m pretty amused at all the “Jay Z out of his depth” crap on the other post about this. Jay Z got to where he is by being shrewder and smarter than most everyone else around him. That doesn’t change because he’s dealing with Old White Guys. There are plenty of people just as smart and capable where Jay Z started out. He made his millions vs them, he’ll do just fine vs this lot.

If Cano signs with the Mariners (and I don’t think he will), it’ll be for over $200 million in all likelihood. A damn nice deal. What I think will happen is that once they agree that’s the offer, Cano et al. will take that deal to Cashman and say: “beat this”. If Cashman does, and I think he will, then Cano’s a Yankee and Dog H’ep the rest of the AL BEast. If I’m wrong (I sure hope I am) and Cano’s a Mariner, then GOOD for me and My Boys. The less they see of Robbie Cano the better.

12. ctony1216 - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:10 AM

There’s a way to possibly satisfy both Cano and the Yankees. Cano wants a 10-year deal; the Yanks are offering 7. But the Yankees could add 3 more years by attaching “triggers” to it.

For instance, if in Year 7, Cano plays at least, say 140 games, and hits .275 or better, the trigger kicks in and Cano gets an 8th year. Same deal applies for years 9 and 10.

That way, the Yanks are less at risk and Cano can be rewarded with up to 3 additional years at big money, even if they’re not All-Star caliber years.

• ptfu - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I believe the only allowable incentive under the collective bargaining agreement is playing time. It’s still a hedge against injury and, to a lesser extent, ineffectiveness.

13. phillysports1 - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:34 AM

You can get 5 solid players for 250 million buddy . They don’t have to be all stars .

• tfbuckfutter - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Brian McCann just signed for $17m a year. He’s only WARd above 5 once in his career and it was half a decade ago.

So I would say he qualifies as a “solid player” even though he makes AS games….

But let’s just say that $15m gets you a solid player but not an All Star….

5 of them would cost you $75m a year, so $250m buys you 3 years of their service.

14. migoli - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Are all you jay z S talkers going to apologize ?

• jfk69 - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Nope !!!

15. bigjimatch - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Just more proof that baseball “journalists” are useless hacks.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5469)