Dec 6, 2013, 3:42 PM EDT
Papelbon has been very good for the Phillies with a 2.67 ERA that’s not far off from his 2.33 ERA for the Red Sox, but his strikeout rate and average fastball velocity both declined this year and … well, giving $46 million to a relief pitcher (and giving up a first-round pick for the privilege) is just sort of crazy in general.
He’s owed $13 million in 2014 and 2015, plus a $13 million option for 2016 that can vest based on games finished. So it’s basically a two-year, $26 million deal with some risk for a three-year, $39 million deal, which is fairly similar to the contracts that Joe Nathan and Brian Wilson just signed as free agents. Still, it’s hard to imagine any team being interested in Papelbon as much more than a salary dump trade.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)