Dec 6, 2013, 10:20 PM EDT
The Marlins signed Garrett Jones to a two-year, $7.5 million deal this afternoon, effectively squeezing Logan Morrison out. Instantly, rumors began to fly involving Morrison in a potential trade. Jon Morosi of FOX Sports tweets that the Red Sox and Brewers have checked in, though nothing is imminent.
Morrison has had trouble staying on the field over the past two seasons thanks to a patellar tendon injury in his right knee. After posting an aggregate 119 adjusted OPS in 2010-11 in 812 plate appearances, he declined to a 92 adjusted OPS in 2012-13 in 667 trips to the dish. He has also posted a negative WAR in each of the past three seasons, according to Baseball Reference.
The Brewers are looking for an everyday first baseman, having shown interest in Ike Davis of the Mets. Morrison would be an acceptable alternative. The Red Sox, meanwhile, were prepared to take a more serious look at Morrison if Mike Napoli decided to take his services elsewhere. He wound up agreeing to a deal with the Sox.
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 14
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys (149)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)