Dec 6, 2013, 10:20 PM EST
The Marlins signed Garrett Jones to a two-year, $7.5 million deal this afternoon, effectively squeezing Logan Morrison out. Instantly, rumors began to fly involving Morrison in a potential trade. Jon Morosi of FOX Sports tweets that the Red Sox and Brewers have checked in, though nothing is imminent.
Morrison has had trouble staying on the field over the past two seasons thanks to a patellar tendon injury in his right knee. After posting an aggregate 119 adjusted OPS in 2010-11 in 812 plate appearances, he declined to a 92 adjusted OPS in 2012-13 in 667 trips to the dish. He has also posted a negative WAR in each of the past three seasons, according to Baseball Reference.
The Brewers are looking for an everyday first baseman, having shown interest in Ike Davis of the Mets. Morrison would be an acceptable alternative. The Red Sox, meanwhile, were prepared to take a more serious look at Morrison if Mike Napoli decided to take his services elsewhere. He wound up agreeing to a deal with the Sox.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 32
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 377
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (377)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)