Dec 6, 2013, 10:20 PM EDT
The Marlins signed Garrett Jones to a two-year, $7.5 million deal this afternoon, effectively squeezing Logan Morrison out. Instantly, rumors began to fly involving Morrison in a potential trade. Jon Morosi of FOX Sports tweets that the Red Sox and Brewers have checked in, though nothing is imminent.
Morrison has had trouble staying on the field over the past two seasons thanks to a patellar tendon injury in his right knee. After posting an aggregate 119 adjusted OPS in 2010-11 in 812 plate appearances, he declined to a 92 adjusted OPS in 2012-13 in 667 trips to the dish. He has also posted a negative WAR in each of the past three seasons, according to Baseball Reference.
The Brewers are looking for an everyday first baseman, having shown interest in Ike Davis of the Mets. Morrison would be an acceptable alternative. The Red Sox, meanwhile, were prepared to take a more serious look at Morrison if Mike Napoli decided to take his services elsewhere. He wound up agreeing to a deal with the Sox.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)