Dec 6, 2013, 10:20 PM EST
The Marlins signed Garrett Jones to a two-year, $7.5 million deal this afternoon, effectively squeezing Logan Morrison out. Instantly, rumors began to fly involving Morrison in a potential trade. Jon Morosi of FOX Sports tweets that the Red Sox and Brewers have checked in, though nothing is imminent.
Morrison has had trouble staying on the field over the past two seasons thanks to a patellar tendon injury in his right knee. After posting an aggregate 119 adjusted OPS in 2010-11 in 812 plate appearances, he declined to a 92 adjusted OPS in 2012-13 in 667 trips to the dish. He has also posted a negative WAR in each of the past three seasons, according to Baseball Reference.
The Brewers are looking for an everyday first baseman, having shown interest in Ike Davis of the Mets. Morrison would be an acceptable alternative. The Red Sox, meanwhile, were prepared to take a more serious look at Morrison if Mike Napoli decided to take his services elsewhere. He wound up agreeing to a deal with the Sox.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)