Astros sign Scott Feldman to $30 million deal

Dec 6, 2013, 11:48 AM EDT

Scott Feldman AP

After going 12-12 with a 3.86 ERA for the Cubs and Orioles last season, Scott Feldman has landed a fat three-year, $30 million contract from the Astros, according to FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal.

Feldman had similar peripherals in 2012 with the Rangers, but since it resulted in a 5.09 ERA, his best offer was a one-year, $6 million deal from the Cubs last winter. One difference besides the ERA: he did make 30 starts last season for the second time in his career. The Astros are banking on him remaining solid and durable in his age 31-33 seasons.

While this might be something of an overpay, the Astros weren’t going to attract quality free agents without beating all other offers. Feldman is a third or fourth starter on a contender, but he’s a huge upgrade for an Astros team without even one proven, reliable starting pitcher.

1. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Damn nice sign, was hoping the Yanks would look into this for a 5th starter spot.

• spudchukar - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:29 PM

I thought so too, but I do not understand this for Houston. The ol’ Hot Stove is glowing brightly.

2. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Was hoping he would return to Baltimore, but not at that price. Good luck in Houston good sir.

3. stroger18 - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I like Scott Feldman, but I think a $30million Scott Feldman is a little much for the Astros at this exact point. Hopefully it turns out to be a nice bargin in years 2/3.

4. toodrunktotastethischicken - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:46 PM

This might just be the most boring Winter Meetings ever.

5. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Welcome to the major leagues, Astros. Nice to see them spend a dollar or two.

6. billyboots - Dec 6, 2013 at 1:01 PM

I was hoping he was on the Twins radar, but for that price I’m glad he wasn’t. Good luck to the Astros, the Twins were where you are now in the mid-90s. It wasn’t fun.

7. alexo0 - Dec 6, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Wonder if he got a no-trade clause?

8. slaugin - Dec 6, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Brian Wilson just got 10 mil, a set up man… 3 yr 30 mil is not a bad deal at all IMO.

• pipkin42 - Dec 6, 2013 at 1:40 PM

This.

9. straightouttavtown - Dec 6, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I wasn’t a fan of this guy when he was with the Rangers but he was solid last season. I would be more sold if the Astros were still in the NL but Feldman was okay with the O’s in a small sample.

10. jeffa43 - Dec 6, 2013 at 1:48 PM

For all the feel sorry for the Astros, or don’t understand the move….. Thanks, but no thanks for the pitty…. you see, we do not need it, and we are going to turn the corner so quick….

We are going to make the Kestle run in less than 12 parsecs…

Starting pitching is all of a sudden… really good…. I mean really good. Don’t believe me, look at the numbers of the following. You don’t get the best minor league system ever for nothing.

Olberholtzer is lights out (like ridiculous good), Peacock looked awesome, Cosart looks like he could be one of the best in the game…. Ashner Wojnakowski and David Martinez were two of the best pitchers in all of minor league baseball shutting down AA & AAA…

With an outfield of Grossman, Springer, Fowler, and Hoes…. This will be one of the better outfields in all of baseball this year.

Castro was one of the 3 best catchers in all of baseball, and the infield is starting to look really good.

If we add a couple or three relief pitchers… we are now competing with Oakland and Texas….

Meanwhile Anaheim or LA of Anaheim, or California Angels of Anaheim one hour drive south of LA Angels are doing all they can to dig themselves in deep…. I mean deep into the hole.

Come on Santa… relief pitchers!

• texanpride - Dec 6, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Whoa there Bessie!

Slow down a little bit man. We might be out of the days without a farm system and overpaid players, but the young guys still have a lot to proove. The road to the WS is littered with formerly hot prospects, cant miss FA’s, and young pitching that didnt pan out.

Like the move towards respectability, but still need a few years to be competitive.

• jeffa43 - Dec 6, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Just kick back and enjoy the ride… A lot of people are going to be shocked by the Hot Stros over the next 2 seasons….

I 100% understand all that you say, and you speak clearly of a baseball fan with knowledge.. I understand clearly that I did not come off that way with my post….

Just saying every blue moon there is a magical story… This one is going to be real special.

11. edelmanfanclub - Dec 6, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I guess they want to spend money now, wasn’t their payroll last year like 25 million dollars? 10 million isn’t a bad deal for the this market considering the twins are paying Nolasco 12.5/yr to come from the NL to the AL while Feldman is going from the AL to the NL. Also Feldman is 30, Nolasco is 31. (Not saying Feldman is better, just the deal is good when compared to another deal in the current market).

• jeffa43 - Dec 6, 2013 at 4:08 PM

14 Million to end the season..

12. jeffa43 - Dec 6, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Stex52…. Where are you my brother?

13. APBA Guy - Dec 6, 2013 at 6:43 PM

I’m happy from a fan standpoint because Feldman is a local boy made good. Between this contract and his deal with the Rangers a few years ago he’ll have collected $ 50M career earnings, which is enough to get you noticed here in Silicon Valley. Also, since the Astros are an AL West team, he’ll pitch a couple of times a year at the Mausoleum so his family and friends can see him, which will make for some nice TV shots.

From a baseball standpoint, the Astros are obviously trying to improve over last year’s mess. First Fowler, now Feldman, they’re getting a couple of veterans so they can show the league that they will spend money to improve, even if only slightly, as well as show their fans the same thing.

Some of Stex’s posts last year were downright despairing, and while I think, and he probably does as well, that these two moves won’t make a significant material difference in the standings at the end of September, it might make for a better fan experience along the way.

And the increased payroll might also keep the union off their back.

But as A’s fans we can attest, losing is no fun. Houston is still in their Dark Age, as Oakland was between 2007 and 2011.

14. jeffa43 - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Stex past comments…. depressing…. Man, I was convinced he took his own life many times.

I like Stex, but if you gave him a full glass of water, he would pour it out and say it was half empty.

It is not about these two signings, it is about all the other variables. Confidence… a second year understanding a lot more this time around… as example. Domingo had a very productive year, he did not have confidence until late in the season. The kid will flourish this year. Altuve hitting in the two spot has all star numbers and then some…. not lead off, not three. I cant wait to see what Castro does this year. The fact is we actually have 4 or 5 pitchers who are going to be very well known within the year. We blew leads last year at a record pace, and we are now going after multiple relievers… you would be shocked how quick a few additions, solid pitching, and and good young hitters will take you. Castro All Star, Altuve All Star, Domingo Glove plus power and clutch, a high ceiling at SS…. Experience, add growing pieces, solid starting pitching…. and seriously, this outfield will be special. Grossman is a baller, Hoes can hit, add Fowler and Hoes may be 4th… Cuz it is Springer time!

This team will open eyes and often this year. Our dark time is over my friend, it was over before last year started. I look back at 91, and it was awesome, a young Biggio and Bags but you saw the light.
    Just as we saw the light last year, it was hard to see, but it was there…. Just like the light at the Triple rock Baptist Church that Jake and Elwood saw….

The light was Domingo, Grossman, Hoes, Castro, Villar, Peacock, Obey1, and Mosart Cosart…

This years Rookie of the Year…. Springer.

• stex52 - Dec 7, 2013 at 12:53 AM

I didn’t have to pour any water out of the glass. It was bone dry.

Are you off your meds again?

I like picking up Fowler. Lyles was going nowhere. Feldman looks like some hope for stability. But look at the stats? You think this guy is a star? Hopefully he is a decent #3. That would really help.

But we still have miles to go. I see maybe two players on the Astros who will still be on it when they are good.

Sorry Jeff. I can appreciate your enthusiasm. But patience and a ton of losses sit between here and there.

• jkaflagg - Dec 7, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I’m with you, Stex….still a long way to go. But the team needed to get out of this 50-55 win range, and guys like Feldman and Fowler will help there….it won’t be until the the Springer/Singleton/Appel/Folty/Correa/McCullers/Ruiz core arrives that we’ll know what we’ve really got.

15. sdeberg - Dec 7, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Full disclosure up front – I’m a Yankees & a Cubs fan – which after the last several seasons is harder to say. But c’mon – $30/3 years for Scott Feldman? Yes he’s a fine 5th starter. At best. That being said – as a Yankees fan, I’m glad to see him leave the AL East. As a Cubs fan – why the F did you give him up? He’s good – he’s not $30 mil for 3 years good. Good luck ‘Stros.

• jkaflagg - Dec 7, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I’d agree with you, except….the market says $10 million is what a back-of-the-rotation starter costs these days. The Dodgers just gave the same to Danny Haren, and the guy he replaced, Rickey Nolasco, got more than $12 million….Agree that 3 and 30 was a bit high for Feldman, but as the article pointed out, the Astros have to overpay to get a guy like this….and with everyone raking in the TV bucks, it’s not as outrageous as it seems….

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3697)