Dec 6, 2013, 12:13 AM EDT
The Rangers are zeroing in on catching help on the heels of A.J. Pierzynski leaving Texas for a one-year deal with the World Series champion Red Sox.
While Kurt Suzuki was mentioned as a possibility earlier this week, FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that the Rangers and J.P. Arencibia are “progressing” toward a deal. Arencibia was non-tendered by the Blue Jays late Monday after the addition of Dioner Navarro made him expendable. The Rangers actually attempted to trade for Arencibia before Monday’s non-tender deadline, but the two sides were unable to get a deal done in time.
Arencibia hit 21 home runs this year, but he did so while hitting just .194 with a .592 OPS. This included a strikeout rate approaching 30 percent and a walk rate of 3.6 percent. He’s a flawed player, but the Rangers figure to at least use him as a backup to Geovany Soto in 2014.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 28
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 59
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 113
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 106
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (113)