Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners

Dec 6, 2013, 11:04 AM EDT

Mariano Rivera, Robinson Cano AP

As of this morning the New York Daily News was reporting that the Mariners were no longer negotiating with Robinson Cano because of Jay Z’s attempts to raise the second baseman’s price tag at the last minute.

As of right now–and for the next 10 seasons–Cano is a Seattle Mariner.

Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes reports that Cano and the Mariners have agreed to a 10-year, $240 million contract that ties Albert Pujols‘ deal with the Angels as the third-largest in MLB history. And if previous reports are to be believed–very iffy at this point, obviously–then Jay Z and his team of agents got Seattle to up its offer from $225 million to $240 million.

Throughout all the drama the Yankees have insisted that they wouldn’t go as high as $200 million for Cano and it turns out they stuck to their guns, letting him walk for $240 million while instead spending a combined $238 million on outside free agents Jacoby Ellsbury and Brian McCann.

260 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Good luck Robbie, it’s been fun

2. Kevin S. - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Congrats on your deal, Robbie. Thanks for nine great years.

3. markofapro - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:07 AM

let me know how this works 5 years from now

• buffalochris - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Here’s how/why they won’t care in 5 years:

In 2007, the Seattle Mariners inked a new 10-year, $450 million cable television deal with FSN Northwest that began in 2011. It was a rich deal for the times. The Mariners, who play in the 12th largest media market, can opt out of their deal after the 2015 season. The Mariners could get an average of at least $70 million a year, according to media consultants. DirecTV (which purchased FSN Northwest from Fox and re-branded it ROOT Sports), has right of first refusal if the Mariners opt out of their current deal and would be willing to bid up the rights fee to avoid losing the Mariners to cable operator Comcast, which recently launched an RSN with Houston‘s Rockets of the NBA and Astros of MLB, and has a similar arrangement in Chicago that includes MLB’s Cubs and White Sox, the NHL’s Blackhawks and NBA’s Bulls.

Same reason the Angels signed Albert, TV Contract rich, except this situation is they’re trying to improve rating to better their haul in 2015 when they opt out.

• gibbyfan - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Your absolutely right–the cable revenue is off the charts and several teams have money to burn. That’s because cable charges the sports fee whether you want it or not —there is more an more talk about making it an option where only those who opt in would pay it—-that would be a major change

• cohnjusack - Dec 6, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I understand the financials and how they may not hurt them terribly.

What may hurt them (and the Angels/Yankees/other teams who sign players to these types of mega deals) is that they are essentially they are likely going to be stuck starting a sub-par, 38-year-old 2nd baseman who they can’t move and won’t bench because of salary.

• anxovies - Dec 6, 2013 at 7:39 PM

So you think that Seattle viewers are going to bust down the doors of the cable providers waving dollar bills so they can watch Cano amble down to first base on ground balls or take intentional walks so the other team can pound the stiff who’s hitting behind him with fastballs? Good luck.

4. hoopmatch - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Okay, I’m picking the Mariners to win the 2014 world series now.

• paperlions - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Yeah, that should work as well as those times when the Marlins, Angels, and Blue Jays “won” the off-season.

• slartibartfast4242 - Dec 6, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I see sarcasm is a lost art.

5. losangelesfan - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Welcome to Siberia. It’s gonna cold and lonely in the deep, dark Northwest.

• sabatimus - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:30 PM

As a Boston fan, I don’t think I’ve thanked you yet for your team acquiring our albatross contract(s).

6. kastout11 - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Terrible signing for the Mariners. That is why the Mariners are the Mariners. I could understand wanting to make a splash, but that is a lot of money and a lot of years to a guy who I think is in his prime, but where will he be 4 years from now. I thought Hamilton and Pujols were bad contracts, but I think this one might end up being worse.

• drewsylvania - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:24 PM

It’s the price of getting one of the top five best players in baseball. The team who is buying almost invariably will be paying for a lot of that player’s decline. But I don’t see how you can conclude that Cano’s contract might be worse than Pujols’.

7. dunnaj84 - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:10 AM

And that was the last we ever heard of Robbie Cano. Seattle is going to regret this in 3-4 years.

• drewsylvania - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:25 PM

If it’s “the last we ever heard of Robbie Cano”, that will be the media’s fault, not Seattle’s.

• thepoolshark - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Unless they can get him to guzzle espresso between innings they will regret it the first week when they watch him waddle to first after a weak grounder

8. penale52 - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:10 AM

There goes his chance to be the greatest Yankee second baseman ever

• paperlions - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:22 AM

….because that is an inheritable title that comes with land and local tax rights?

• lazlosother - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:21 PM

And a plaque. Don’t forget the plaque.

• sabatimus - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:31 PM

The plaque is only for overrated shortstops.

9. phillysports1 - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Where the dummies that said Cano will be resign by the Yankees ? Hahaha salty !

• asimonetti88 - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I think the only people who will be salty will be Mariners fans when this deal inevitably looks bad in a season or two.

• drewsylvania - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Yankees fan?

• asimonetti88 - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:51 PM

No, can’t stand the Yankees. I’m an Angels fan.

• tmarlin1221 - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:40 AM

uhh hey stupid, tiny little ghetto suburb of suburb of NY is philly. Who won the last time they opposed each other in the world series ? At least philly has more ws rings…lol, tea bag

10. brewcrewfan54 - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:11 AM

So what big names are left on the FA market? I usually enjoy watching MLB Network all day during the winter meetings but with all the major players signed I guess I’m gonna have to hope for some wheeling and dealing to make it interesting.

11. sdelmonte - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:11 AM

At this point, I don’t believe a thing about any of this.

But if it’s true…help me out, friends who root for the Yankees. Who was the last big name member of the Yanks to leave town aside from Pettitte? This sort of thing really doesn’t happen too often, does it.

Oh, and Craig, you really picked a bad week to quit blogging.

12. jgreiner9 - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:11 AM

It’s going to be a breeze to produce for Seattle with all that protection in that line up….wait…..

• paperlions - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Right. Because protection is really a thing. Who was the Yankees 2nd best hitter last year?

• anxovies - Dec 6, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Probably Soriano, who hit 17 HR and had 50 RBI in 58 games. That’s almost as good as Morales, the best returning player, did all year for the Mariners.

• drewsylvania - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:33 PM

+1 to paperlions. Also, Seattle scored only 24 fewer runs than the Yankees did in 2013.

• paperlions - Dec 6, 2013 at 1:33 PM

…and Seattle had a better offense after accounting for park effects.

13. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Hate to say it, but this is an excellent move by the Yankees. Seattle will regret this contract before too long.

• sportsdrenched - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:18 AM

There’s a saying in a lot of sales circles that sometimes the best deal you made was the one you didn’t make. I think the Yankees can confidently say that about this one.

14. hammrd - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:13 AM

This is going to be the Prince Fielder signing – Part 2

• cackalackyank - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Actually it is Albert Pujols 2.13.

• nbjays - Dec 7, 2013 at 12:59 AM

I was thinking ARod 4.0

15. jgreiner9 - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Not as salty as philly fans over Ryan Howard’s contract still…

• ewyorksockexchange - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:48 AM

I’m a Phils fan, can confirm. At least Cano will be good at the start of the contract. Howard was declining before his extension, and the entirety of the rest of the contract is dead weight salary thrown into the abyss that is Ryan Howard. I am saltier than a cheesesteak pretzel. But at least I have my cheesesteak pretzels to eat while I cry.

16. fissels - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Crazy money, in my opinion

17. sportsdrenched - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I get chasing the money. However, everything coming out of the Cano/Jay-Z Camp was about making Cano a star. That’s not going to happen in Seattle. This whole thing is just weird to me.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Yeah (paraphrasing some others in previous threads), no one knew who Ken Griffey Jr, Alex Rodriguez, Randy Johnson, etc were until they left Seattle…

• asimonetti88 - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Or Gary Payton, or Shawn Kemp, or Nirvana, or Jimi Hendrix, or Pearl Jam.

• sdelmonte - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Baseball star, yes. But everyone is working on the assumption that singing with Jay-Z meant being a crossover superstar of the sort we rarely see in baseball now. I have no idea if that is really what’s supposed to happen, or if Jay-Z is just trying to be the next Scott Boras.

• stoutfiles - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:33 AM

All those players were young and spoke perfect English. Cano is on the tail end of his career and speaks broken English.

With a Yankee uniform you have a chance to market him but not anymore, especially not on a bad Mariners team.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Outside of an accent, he sounds perfectly fine to me.

• florida76 - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Seattle is definitely one of the lowest achieving sports cities in the USA, with very few great players, and a single NBA title in city history(and the Sonics are history). The Mariners are going on 40 years of existence with only three players as HOFers who played the majority of their careers as Mariners.And to never even win a pennant is tough, especially with the significant number of newer teams across all sports who earned the honor. It’s been a struggle to be sure, the 2001 club pulled off one of the biggest choke jobs in MLB history.

There’s a real possibility Seattle fans may never, ever, experience the unique feeling of a World Title in baseball.

• tmarlin1221 - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Those players were playing together to lead the Mariners to the ALCS. I’m guessing Cano isn’t better than Griff arod and unit combined.

• sportsdrenched - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:41 PM

My original statement isn’t worded correctly. Originally JayZ wanted to make Cano a cross-medium star, not just a baseball star. I don’t know what that means. But usually people looking for that type of recognition go TOO New York City, not away from it.

I didn’t mean to say no one famous comes from Seattle. I mean, I am a Boeing brat for what thats worth.

18. cur68 - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Thank You Dog. No more Robbie Cano in the AL BEast!

Well, now what for The Empire? They have to shore up 2B defensively. Good luck with that. 2Bmen are scarce as hen’s teef. And if they think Kelley Johnson’s gonna do this thing for them….yeah, right. As for replacing all those runs that Cano brought with him, they might have done that already by upgrading CF and Catcher. Still need a starter, though. I have my doubts about Kuroda being able to get this done anymore. He showed serious decline towards the end of last season. Gotta play ‘em to see, I guess.

• raysfan1 - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:31 AM

I now see the Yanks going after Beltran and Infante. They are unlikely to allow themselves to be outbid for Tanaka if he posts. Jeter will be healthy. I expect Rodrlguez’ suspension to be reduced to 50, maybe a little extra for being a jerk. Sadly, I think the Yanks remain competitive in 2014. I haven’t checked who the likely FAs next year are, but they’ll have lots of budgetary leeway to go after whoemever they want. While a short term blow, I think this just might be a boon to them in the long run.

• cur68 - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Let me dream, man! Ugh. The thought of Beltran as a Yankee. And Tanaka. I can see both things happening. Infante’s likely their 2Bman, I guess. As for ARod, yeah probably 50 games, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see 0: no one’s taken on MLB’s ‘evidence’ like this before. Like Braun and the testing procedures, this has every chance of being overturned on technicalities. I’m wondering how strong a case this suspension was after all. We’ll see on that one.

• cackalackyank - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I agree. Look forward to competing with those talented Rays again. But the shopping list also still calls for at least one more starter. I think we need a closer, too. I do not really think its Robertson’s thing. NYY needs to go back to assessing talent in the minors and developing it, and not trading it until it has some real value. Living in the Triangle area of NC I get a front row seat for the AAA talent the Rays have. I think it is a clear disadvantage that NYY face right now. Spending the big $ isn’t the only thing, its a component of a winning strategy. Not being saddled with another big $, long term albatross contract is certainly a boon, but there needs to be some real talent waiting in the minors too.

• stoutfiles - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:07 PM

“Jeter will be healthy.”

Maybe, but he will be continue to be old. Slap-hitting singles around .270 with no defensive range. And that’s if he stays healthy.

• raysfan1 - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Compare that .270 to what they had offensively from that position this year and then tell me which they prefer, defensive shortcomings and all for 2014.

• tmarlin1221 - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Uhh its the yankees, i’m guessing they will find a starter at 2b and Pitcher. Don’t be a worry wart.

• uwsptke - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Might I interest Yankees fans in one Rickie Weeks?

• cur68 - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Tha’s cold, mang.

19. byjiminy - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:18 AM

What could go wrong?

20. raysfan1 - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Congratulations Cano and Jay-Z.
    Good luck with your albatross, Mariners. Would have thought your division rivals’ experiences might have taught you something.
    Condolences, Mariners fans as I believe this signing in the long run hurts your favorite team.

21. xdj511 - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Wow, good luck Mr. Cano. Hope you enjoy that Seattle nightlife. You’re a big Alice In Chains fan, right?

22. josemartez - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Will Cano be the first to show off the Mariners’ rumoured new look for 2014?

23. uyf1950 - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Best wishes to him, glad he made this decision now so the Yankees can move on. To be honest I like what the Yankees can to better with their remaining funds to fill several holes then spending virtually all on them on one player and still have gaping holes in several areas.

I’ve said this before I know Infante isn’t on the same level as Cano but he’s certainly an adequate replacement if the Yankees decide to go that way.

• pisano - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:21 PM

uyf1950… I couldn’t agree with you more. It’s funny, when I went to Hardball talk and I saw the headline, I was actually happy he’s out of NY, don’t ask me why, because he’s a great player, but I’d had enough of him. Good luck to him, I hope he doesn’t end up like a few others that went to Seattle.

24. johnnyb1976 - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:23 AM

How much are the yanks willing to give for Brandon Phillips now?

• paperlions - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:26 AM

This would be really fun….I just want to see what they would give up, and how Phillips tendency to be unfiltered in interviews would play in the NY media.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Nothing, Phillips isn’t worth the money he’s being paid, and is a giant pain in the ass to boot.

• uyf1950 - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I agree

• paperlions - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:37 AM

That is pretty close to what he should command. But it would still be fun to non-Yankee fans to see what would happen if he was a Yankee.

25. coltzfan166 - Dec 6, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Like other aging veterans, he’ll be injured a lot when he hits about Jeter’s age, will miss a lot of games, and still be paid a lot for it. I actually have a new found respect for the Yankees for not giving him what he wanted.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3457)