Dec 6, 2013, 11:04 AM EDT
As of this morning the New York Daily News was reporting that the Mariners were no longer negotiating with Robinson Cano because of Jay Z’s attempts to raise the second baseman’s price tag at the last minute.
As of right now–and for the next 10 seasons–Cano is a Seattle Mariner.
Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes reports that Cano and the Mariners have agreed to a 10-year, $240 million contract that ties Albert Pujols‘ deal with the Angels as the third-largest in MLB history. And if previous reports are to be believed–very iffy at this point, obviously–then Jay Z and his team of agents got Seattle to up its offer from $225 million to $240 million.
Throughout all the drama the Yankees have insisted that they wouldn’t go as high as $200 million for Cano and it turns out they stuck to their guns, letting him walk for $240 million while instead spending a combined $238 million on outside free agents Jacoby Ellsbury and Brian McCann.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:22 PM EDT
He was traded from the Nationals to the Dodgers just last week.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:08 PM EDT
Powerful words from the Orioles’ executive in the wake of the death of Freddie Gray.
Apr 27, 2015, 12:32 PM EDT
Some people are really committed. Others are so committed, maybe they should be committed.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
Perez posted a 9.39 ERA in six appearances for Triple-A Colorado Springs.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:03 AM EDT
“Outdoor baseball is stupid, and domes should be universal. My column:”
Apr 27, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Gonzalez insists he’s healthy.
Apr 27, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
He hasn’t thrown since cutting short a bullpen session 10 days ago.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:24 AM EDT
The Marlins lose: rumors of the manager being on the hot seat. They win: he’s safe. That’s the sort of reaction that stable teams run by wise men pursue, right?
Apr 27, 2015, 8:34 AM EDT
And no, I don’t say that just because Adam Wainwright has been lost for the season due to an injury sustained while hitting.
Apr 27, 2015, 7:09 AM EDT
“Can you pitch, Dustin? Like, every fifth day? I’m serious.”
Apr 26, 2015, 11:05 PM EDT
Jose Abreu, one might say, is good at hitting baseballs.
Apr 26, 2015, 10:15 PM EDT
Max Scherzer made an argument for bringing the DH to the National League.
Apr 26, 2015, 9:25 PM EDT
Perhaps Phillies GM Ruben Amaro was right to hold onto Cole Hamels.
Apr 26, 2015, 8:39 PM EDT
Alex Rodriguez hit his 659th career home run on Sunday night against the Mets, leaving him one shy of tying Willie Mays.
Apr 26, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
Alex Gordon made an exceptional catch to help Edinson Volquez in Sunday’s game against the White Sox.
Apr 26, 2015, 6:56 PM EDT
Steve Bartman, is that you?
Apr 26, 2015, 6:05 PM EDT
The Orioles set a club record for runs scored and the Red Sox starting rotation continues to falter.
Apr 26, 2015, 5:17 PM EDT
As first reported by Jeff Hem, the play-by-play announcer for the Triple-A Nashville Sounds, the Athletics have signed veteran infielder Ryan Roberts to a minor league contract.
Apr 26, 2015, 4:22 PM EDT
Graveman allowed six earned runs in 4 2/3 innings Saturday in a loss to the Astros, falling to 1-2 on the season with an 8.27 ERA and 2.02 WHIP in 16 1/3 total frames (four starts).
Apr 26, 2015, 2:58 PM EDT
Two important Dodgers are now on the shelf.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 333
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 72
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 45
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (334)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)