Dec 6, 2013, 7:20 PM EDT
Earlier today, second baseman Robinson Cano signed with the Mariners on a ten-year, $240 million contract, leaving the Yankees out in the cold with an infield that includes the embattled Alex Rodriguez, the hobbled Derek Jeter, the recovering Mark Teixeira, and the recently-signed Kelly Johnson. Now that they don’t have to set aside space for Cano, however, the Yankees are free to pursue any free agent they want, and that is exactly what they are doing according to Bob Nightengale of USA TODAY. Nightengale tweets that the Yankees are “in on everyone”, citing outfielders Shin-Soo Choo and Carlos Beltran, as well as infielders Stephen Drew and Omar Infante.
Nightengale also writes that trade rumors involving the Yankees and current Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips are “inevitable”. There has been some off-and-on speculation that the Reds will move Phillips by the end of the Winter Meetings on Thursday.
So far, the Yankees have signed shortstop Brendan Ryan (two years, $5 million), catcher Brian McCann (five years, $85 million), outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (seven years, $153 million), and starter Hiroki Kuroda (one year, $16 million), but it appears they are far from finished.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 3
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 5
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)