Dec 7, 2013, 5:32 PM EDT
According to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com, the Marlins have had “internal discussions” about a trade for Rays utility man Sean Rodriguez. The plan would be to play him at third base, possibly as part of a platoon.
The Marlins are reportedly close to a two-year, $7.5 million contract with Garrett Jones, which likely signals that Logan Morrison will be traded. The Rays are one of many teams who have expressed interest, so Frisaro speculates that a swap of Morrison for Rodriguez and a pitcher could get it done.
Rodriguez posted a mediocre .246/.320/.385 batting line to go along with five home runs and 23 RBI over 222 plate appearances this past season, but he has proven useful against southpaws during his career and provides versatility. He’ll turn 29 in April and is slated to hit free agency after the 2015 season. The Marlins have top prospect Colin Moran on the way, so Rodriguez would mostly be a stopgap option.
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 33
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 61
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 113
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (113)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)