Dec 7, 2013, 5:32 PM EDT
According to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com, the Marlins have had “internal discussions” about a trade for Rays utility man Sean Rodriguez. The plan would be to play him at third base, possibly as part of a platoon.
The Marlins are reportedly close to a two-year, $7.5 million contract with Garrett Jones, which likely signals that Logan Morrison will be traded. The Rays are one of many teams who have expressed interest, so Frisaro speculates that a swap of Morrison for Rodriguez and a pitcher could get it done.
Rodriguez posted a mediocre .246/.320/.385 batting line to go along with five home runs and 23 RBI over 222 plate appearances this past season, but he has proven useful against southpaws during his career and provides versatility. He’ll turn 29 in April and is slated to hit free agency after the 2015 season. The Marlins have top prospect Colin Moran on the way, so Rodriguez would mostly be a stopgap option.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 44
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 27
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 59
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)