Dec 7, 2013, 5:32 PM EST
According to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com, the Marlins have had “internal discussions” about a trade for Rays utility man Sean Rodriguez. The plan would be to play him at third base, possibly as part of a platoon.
The Marlins are reportedly close to a two-year, $7.5 million contract with Garrett Jones, which likely signals that Logan Morrison will be traded. The Rays are one of many teams who have expressed interest, so Frisaro speculates that a swap of Morrison for Rodriguez and a pitcher could get it done.
Rodriguez posted a mediocre .246/.320/.385 batting line to go along with five home runs and 23 RBI over 222 plate appearances this past season, but he has proven useful against southpaws during his career and provides versatility. He’ll turn 29 in April and is slated to hit free agency after the 2015 season. The Marlins have top prospect Colin Moran on the way, so Rodriguez would mostly be a stopgap option.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 19
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)