Dec 7, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT
It was reported two weeks ago that the Red Sox had checked in on the availability of Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp and Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that he remains “in play” as a potential trade target for Boston.
A potential match makes sense on paper, as the Dodgers have a surplus of outfielders and the Red Sox might not be ready to hand a starting job to Jackie Bradley, Jr. following the departure of Jacoby Ellsbury. Cafardo hears that the Dodgers would be willing to absorb some of the six years and $128 million remaining on Kemp’s contract in the right deal. Kemp is coming off two injury-plagued years, so the big question is how much would be enough to get the Red Sox interested.
Kemp’s agent, Dave Stewart, told Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston that he has discussed the possibility of a trade to the Red Sox with his client. His comments were pretty interesting.
“Boston is a good place,” said Stewart, a message 180 degrees removed from what Kemp’s teammate, Crawford, said repeatedly after being traded by the Sox in 2012. “It’s a good city to play in, especially when they’re winning championships.
“I’m 56 years old, and people are still buying me dinner there, and I played for the other team. I told Matt about the city. The key to playing in the city is to perform. Compete, play good-quality baseball, don’t dog it. If you don’t perform, nobody’s going to like it.”
Stewart said he believes Kemp would have no reservations about playing for the Red Sox. “And the opportunity to play with Big Papi, he’d love to play with him, learn from him.”
Stewart isn’t sitting in on trade discussions, so he’s just speculating like the rest of us. Still, he has a “strong feeling that something could happen” at next week’s Winter Meetings. Kemp’s contract does not include a no-trade clause, so the Dodgers would not need him to sign off on a deal.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 0
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 60
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 31
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (106)