Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox

Dec 7, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT

Matt Kemp Getty Getty Images

It was reported two weeks ago that the Red Sox had checked in on the availability of Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp and Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that he remains “in play” as a potential trade target for Boston.

A potential match makes sense on paper, as the Dodgers have a surplus of outfielders and the Red Sox might not be ready to hand a starting job to Jackie Bradley, Jr. following the departure of Jacoby Ellsbury. Cafardo hears that the Dodgers would be willing to absorb some of the six years and $128 million remaining on Kemp’s contract in the right deal. Kemp is coming off two injury-plagued years, so the big question is how much would be enough to get the Red Sox interested.

Kemp’s agent, Dave Stewart, told Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston that he has discussed the possibility of a trade to the Red Sox with his client. His comments were pretty interesting.

“Boston is a good place,” said Stewart, a message 180 degrees removed from what Kemp’s teammate, Crawford, said repeatedly after being traded by the Sox in 2012. “It’s a good city to play in, especially when they’re winning championships.

“I’m 56 years old, and people are still buying me dinner there, and I played for the other team. I told Matt about the city. The key to playing in the city is to perform. Compete, play good-quality baseball, don’t dog it. If you don’t perform, nobody’s going to like it.”

Stewart said he believes Kemp would have no reservations about playing for the Red Sox. “And the opportunity to play with Big Papi, he’d love to play with him, learn from him.”

Stewart isn’t sitting in on trade discussions, so he’s just speculating like the rest of us. Still, he has a “strong feeling that something could happen” at next week’s Winter Meetings. Kemp’s contract does not include a no-trade clause, so the Dodgers would not need him to sign off on a deal.

1. detectivejimmymcnulty - Dec 7, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Seems like his agent knows he’ll be traded.

2. slaugin - Dec 7, 2013 at 2:23 PM

None of this translates with Ben Cheringtons conference call today

3. lbush502013 - Dec 7, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I’d like to see him play in Boston he even has started with his beard . Lol lol

• theskinsman - Dec 8, 2013 at 4:45 AM

Maybe if he gets removed from the curse that is Carl Crawford, he’ll regain his health and do well?

• fbpeterson - Dec 8, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Are you a 12 year old girl? Using LOL as a grown ass man is bad enough but to use it twice in a row is a punishable offense.

4. bowltr - Dec 7, 2013 at 2:39 PM

I’m all for Kemp bring him in. get the Dodgers to pay 40-50 mill so he’s now a 16 mil/yr.
    Give them a good prospect such as Webster and positional player.

Kemp give you some RH pop and allows you to bring Middlebrooks and Xander along without having to plug them into 3-6 spots right away.

• tfbuckfutter - Dec 7, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Gomes has never played an inning in CF in his career. And Nava has a grand total of 8 innings there.

• drewzducks - Dec 7, 2013 at 6:06 PM

To be fair he does say Kemp moves to CF when JBJ sits. They would have Gomes, Kemp, JBJ, Victorino and Nava for 3 OF spots with Carp still in the mix at 1B/OF. Also would have to be no more than 6/90 but to be consistent I’d be weary of that with his injury history just as I was weary on Ellsbury, though he would be 2 years younger than Jacoby (35 vs. 37) when the contract runs out. I’d almost rather see them go after Hart if they are convinced Victorino can potentially play half a season in CF or go after a Franklin Gutierrez type as a more traditional low cost, very good glove CF. Is Grady Sizemore still breathing ?

• tfbuckfutter - Dec 7, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Why be weary of his injuries?

Acquiring him, and bringing up Jackie Bradley Jr. means the team is carrying more outfielders than any other team in major league baseball. 5 + Carp.

• bowltr - Dec 7, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Kemp plays CF when Bradley sits. Can you read?

• tuberippin - Dec 7, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Yes, yes, Jonny Gomes in center field, where he has played zero innings in his eleven-year career. Excellent decision.

• whatdapuck - Dec 7, 2013 at 6:14 PM

He never said that Gomes would play CF. Always worth it to read the entire post before making a smarmy comment.

• tuberippin - Dec 7, 2013 at 7:53 PM

“put Bradley in CF in a platoon with Gomes, Nava.”

• tfbuckfutter - Dec 7, 2013 at 7:11 PM

“Move Kemp to LF put Bradley in CF in a platoon with Gomes, Nava.”

I’m not sure what a platoon is if someone doesn’t ever actually play.

• bowltr - Dec 7, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Kemp plays CF when Bradley sits. Can you read?

• tfbuckfutter - Dec 7, 2013 at 8:45 PM

I can.

You said that Nava and Gomes would be part of a platoon in CF. Then mentioned that Kent would also be part of the platoon.

No mention of Victorino or RF, so I assume me plays there 100% of the time when Bradley/Nava/Gomes are platooning in CF, while Kemp plays CF every time Bradley doesn’t, leaving an outfield of Victorino in right, Kemp in center, and no one in left.

Or….did I read that wrong?

• tuberippin - Dec 7, 2013 at 9:14 PM

“Can you read?”

The better question is “can you write?” The way you wrote your sentence makes it read so that Jonny Gomes and Daniel Nava are playing center field in a platoon. If you meant right field, say right field.

• whatdapuck - Dec 7, 2013 at 9:26 PM

My God, your reading comprehension is awful. How do you miss this multiple times? He wrote an ENTIRE SENTENCE on who would spell Bradley.

“Move Kemp to LF put Bradley in CF in a platoon with Gomes, Nava. KEMP PLAYS CF WHEN BRADLEY SITS.”

Q: Who plays CF when Bradley isn’t?
        A: Matt Kemp.

• tuberippin - Dec 7, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Zero mention of left field aside from when Kemp is there. When Bradley sits and Kemp moves to center, then who plays left field? That remains unspecified regardless of the second sentence about Kemp. If you don’t explicitly state “Daniel Nava and Jonny Gomes will platoon in left field when Kemp moves from LF to CF and Bradley gets a day off,” who is to say if they are playing left field, or right field, or DHing?

• whatdapuck - Dec 7, 2013 at 9:59 PM

So not only does your reading comprehension suck, but your deductive reasoning’s appalling as well.

Maybe you should sit this next play out.. go splash some water on your face, maybe grab yourself a coffee or something.

• tuberippin - Dec 8, 2013 at 2:58 AM

Good work on not only being incorrect, but being a douchebag in getting there. A+ work.

• evanpenn - Dec 8, 2013 at 1:01 AM

“Move Kemp to LF put Bradley in CF in a platoon with Gomes, Nava. Kemp plays CF when Bradley sits.”

Bowltr, you are asking if he can read? You envision four players platooning in CF, two of whom cannot play center. If you used commas instead of this stream-of-consciousness-style writing, maybe people would have a clue what you are trying to say.

• bowltr - Dec 8, 2013 at 6:20 AM

Kemp plays CF when Bradley sits. What part of that don’t you understand?

Sorry just thought tat you could all realize for yourselves that 4 can’t play CF at the same time guess I was wrong and you’re all morons.

It would have taken less time for you to read what I write instead of being a-holes.Bur I guess that what anonymous posters on message boards do.

• tfbuckfutter - Dec 8, 2013 at 10:58 AM

You still don’t get why you look like such an idiot, do you?

You just keep digging the hole.

• bowltr - Dec 8, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I don’t look like an idiot you do. The mistake I made was actually thinking some posters could read and comprehend. I never said Gomes or Nava should play CF and I dare you to show me where I said that. I thought that you specifically butt fuc*er would realize the Bradley platoon with Gomes and Nava meant that Gomes and Nava would play LF when Bradley sat. Especially when I wrote ” Kemp plays CF when Bradley sits”
        Obviously you’re too stupid of ignorant, probably both to understand that.
        But please keep sharing your infinite wisdom with the rest of us.

• tfbuckfutter - Dec 8, 2013 at 2:58 PM

“Move Kemp to LF put Bradley in CF in a platoon with Gomes, Nava.”

Here. Right here. This here is where you said it. Here. In this quote right here. Those words I just copied and pasted and put in quotations. That. That right there is where you said it. Those words, that you typed and I am referencing is the answer to the question you just asked about where you said it.

Following that up with “Kemp plays CF when Bradley sits.” sounds even dumber because you JUST SAID the “platoon” is Bradley/Gomes/Nava.

But yes, you can’t properly express your thoughts, and everyone else is dumb and ignorant.

• bowltr - Dec 8, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Kemp plays CF when Bradley sits. You conveniently left that out to try and make your argument. No where does it say Gomes and Nava play CF it just says Bradley plays CF and Gomes and Nava platoon with him.

What should I expect from a moron like you other than foolish banter.

• tfbuckfutter - Dec 8, 2013 at 5:07 PM

“I never said Gomes and Nava play CF that’s you’re interpretation. I said Bradley plays CF in a platoon with Gomes and Nava.”

You are so unbelievably dumb I am now aware that you can’t even begin to understand what you’re even saying.

“No where does it say Gomes and Nava play CF it just says Bradley plays CF and Gomes and Nava platoon with him.”

I really wish I could feel good about laughing at how dumb you are, but I now actually feel kind of bad.

• tfbuckfutter - Dec 8, 2013 at 5:08 PM

I do need to know though….what do you think “platoon” means?

5. slaugin - Dec 7, 2013 at 2:47 PM

The rumor I heard last week is the Dodgers are interested in Middlebrooks

6. pastabelly - Dec 7, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Don’t do it Ben. Let Bradley play center. If it doesn’t work , do a deal at the July deadline.

7. phillysports1 - Dec 7, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Trade kemp for middlebrooks, sign uribe . Done deal

• tuberippin - Dec 7, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Your trade proposals are terrible, dude.

• poprox13 - Dec 7, 2013 at 5:59 PM

dude, Uribe is horrible. Rather sign Drew and play Boggarts at 3rd.

8. xpensivewinos - Dec 7, 2013 at 3:06 PM

When healthy (big disclaimer), Kemp is a phenomenal talent.

But, it’s gotta make sense in terms of both players and dollars in order to pull the trigger.

Kemp/Ortiz/Napoli would be a really nice 3-4-5.

Ideally, I would like to see Kemp in left, sign Rajai Davis and platoon him in center with Bradley for the time being and leave Victorino in right.

I’m just a focus group of one :)

• bendover09 - Dec 7, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Fielder/Beltre/Kemp would sound much better

9. historiophiliac - Dec 7, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Mmmm, Matt Kemp’s grandparents…

10. aphillieated - Dec 7, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Matt Kemp is going to Seattle.

11. slaugin - Dec 7, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Pedroia/Kemp/Ortiz/Napoli… Looks really good on paper, at this point I only see Victorino making sense leading off… The problem being he will likely need time off during the year, I’d like my Leadoff guy to be everyday… I guess Nava would make sense but I don’t see him getting every day work, unless JBJ doesn’t make the team

12. lphboston - Dec 7, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Kemp wants to learn from Ortiz?
    Better be careful what he learns because it might cost him 50 games.

• jrobitaille23 - Dec 7, 2013 at 9:44 PM

huh?

13. jkaflagg - Dec 7, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Stewart’s comments are interesting, in that he had to shoo the Dodgers coaches away from Kemp when they pressured him to convert his massive talent into results…..he is right in that Sox fans will love him if he plays well, but that could be dicey for a guy still coming off multiple injuries; if he starts slowly, it could be Crawford 2.0…..

• whatdapuck - Dec 7, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Everyone in Boston knew he was ridiculously overpaid (& that it wasn’t his fault) and gave him a free pass for that entire season, the likes of which I’ve never seen here. I’m convinced he has a persecution complex.

If Kemp plays hard Sox fans will like him and the fact that his pricetag would be on a discount would grease the wheels a bit.

14. Fantasy Football Consultant - Dec 7, 2013 at 4:31 PM

A prospect and an infielder and we eat a bunch a money for a steroid robbed MVP?? Uh no.

15. 18thstreet - Dec 7, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I don’t like the idea of Dave Stewart somehow facing off against the Red Sox. That never ends well (if you’re rooting for the Red Sox, that is).

Please, keep Roger Clemens far away from the winter meetings.

16. spc7ray - Dec 7, 2013 at 5:13 PM

DO NOT TRADE MATT KEMP___He is a Dodger period—-Trade Eithier and or Crawford and eat the money!

• bluecrew2626 - Dec 8, 2013 at 2:34 AM

I agree. Kemp is a Dodger. He’ll recover, the BoSox have nothing to trade in value, unless it’s Lester or Pedroia.

17. slaugin - Dec 7, 2013 at 6:46 PM

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they got another OF and cut ties one way or another with Gomes… As much as his Legendary status has grown outta control around here, he is the least versatile and IMO least valuable of the OF

18. kingkershaw - Dec 7, 2013 at 7:22 PM

No no no, keep kemp, he was a home run away for a 40 40 guy only 2 years ago. I don’t want to see any of the outfielders leave due to their health and talent. But if their hell bent on trading one due to pederson trade Crawford or eithier. Don’t make another stupid decision colleti. Stan Kastan, please get involved. Hang up on anybody who calls about Kemp unless it involves Stanton.

19. jdillydawg - Dec 7, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I would be worried about Kemp’s health, which is why I think the Dodgers are interested in making a move with him. One year hurt is one thing, two years is a trend.

A similar situation occurred with the Mariners who held on to a talented CF in Gutierrez for way too long. The guy was gifted but couldn’t stay off the injured list. I like how the Dodgers are staying out front of this.

20. losanginsight - Dec 7, 2013 at 8:33 PM

In pretty sure JB Jr. and Middlebrooks world be involved for a trade for the weed smoking Kemp.

• bowltr - Dec 8, 2013 at 6:25 AM

What’s wrong with a little weed?

Poppi can pop roids but weed is where you draw the line?

21. rusty71 - Dec 8, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Anyone who watched regularly or was a fan of the Sox last year knows what he was getting at in that post …. obviously you didn’t …. focused on sentence structure …. therefore ….are an idiot … case closed.

22. tonyz6060chevy - Dec 8, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I don’t see The Dodgers trading away one of their star players for a bunch of no names. I don’t see anyone in the Boston line up that would peak the Dodgers interest,not unless Boston was involved in a three team trade for the Dodgers to acquire David Price ! I would rather see Crawford go instead of Kemp or Either !

23. insidefastball - Dec 8, 2013 at 2:59 PM

The Dodgers have so many injury risks in their outfield that they need to keep everyone they have. Puig runs into walls on a regular basis. Crawford is a DL risk anytime he steps on the field and Ethier had all sorts of problems with his legs the last two months of the season.

24. pastabelly - Dec 8, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Three player platoon in LF? Seriously?

Bradley is a plus defender in CF. His history tells you that he should develop into a decent hitter, but they have to get him experience at the major league level.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS