Dec 7, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
In what has become an annual tradition, rumors have begun to swirl suggesting Reds closer Aroldis Chapman could move into the starting rotation. The lefty has ranked among baseball’s top-five relievers over each of the past two seasons, but he would theoretically provide more value in the rotation. Neither the team nor Chapman is interested in such a move, however.
“Aside from that, I’m tired of every year the same thing about me either starting or closing,” Chapman told The Enquirer in Spanish, without an interpreter. “What I have in mind is closing games and that’s it.”
“I am preparing myself as every offseason, getting myself ready to close,” Chapman said. “Starting hasn’t even crossed my mind and I’m not going to do it either.”
Chapman said nobody’s talked to him about starting and he doesn’t see it as a transition he can make.
“I don’t want to — and it’s difficult that I’d do it,” Chapman said.
Chapman finished the 2013 season with the highest strikeout rate among qualified relievers at 43.4 percent, well above second-place Greg Holland‘s 40.4 percent. He also posted a 2.54 ERA, averaged nearly four strikeouts for every one walk, and tied for the eighth-most saves in baseball with 38.
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 15
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 33
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 15
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- David Price dominates Twins as Tigers win AL Central 30
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)