Dec 7, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
In what has become an annual tradition, rumors have begun to swirl suggesting Reds closer Aroldis Chapman could move into the starting rotation. The lefty has ranked among baseball’s top-five relievers over each of the past two seasons, but he would theoretically provide more value in the rotation. Neither the team nor Chapman is interested in such a move, however.
“Aside from that, I’m tired of every year the same thing about me either starting or closing,” Chapman told The Enquirer in Spanish, without an interpreter. “What I have in mind is closing games and that’s it.”
“I am preparing myself as every offseason, getting myself ready to close,” Chapman said. “Starting hasn’t even crossed my mind and I’m not going to do it either.”
Chapman said nobody’s talked to him about starting and he doesn’t see it as a transition he can make.
“I don’t want to — and it’s difficult that I’d do it,” Chapman said.
Chapman finished the 2013 season with the highest strikeout rate among qualified relievers at 43.4 percent, well above second-place Greg Holland‘s 40.4 percent. He also posted a 2.54 ERA, averaged nearly four strikeouts for every one walk, and tied for the eighth-most saves in baseball with 38.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)