Dec 8, 2013, 11:39 AM EDT
More than 15 teams have called to express interest in free agent reliever Andrew Bailey, MLBTR has learned. The 29-year-old had season-ending shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum in his shoulder in July, and the Red Sox declined to tender him a contract earlier this month. Barring setbacks, he is expected to be Major League game ready by mid-May.
Bailey was limited to 28 2/3 innings this past season and 15 1/3 innings in 2012 because of injuries, but the 29-year-old right-hander boasts a 2.64 career ERA and he’s fanned 227 batters in 218 total major league frames. On an incentives-driven one-year contract, he would be a good get for just about any club.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 29
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 85
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)