Dec 8, 2013, 7:00 PM EST
If you thought the Mariners were going to call it an off-season after signing second baseman Robinson Cano to a ten-year, $240 million contract, think again. They’re only just getting started. Jon Heyman of CBS Sports tweets that the Mariners could use some of their young talent, such as middle infielder Nick Franklin, to bolster the roster. Franklin, who turns 23 on March 2, got his first taste of the big leagues last season, posting a .686 OPS in 412 plate appearances. He made Baseball America’s top-100 prospects list going into the 2011 and ’13 seasons.
Rays starter David Price is the Mariners’ top priority, Heyman writes. Price is in his third year of arbitration eligibility and can become a free agent after the 2015 season. He is due for a raise over last season’s $10.1 million salary, so the small-market Rays are interested in the salary relief that trading him would bring, similar to when they sent James Shields to the Royals last off-season. However, reports indicate that the Rays would want Taijuan Walker in any deal that sends Price to the Mariners.
In the same tweet, Heyman suggests the Mariners are looking for a “big-time” outfielder, citing free agents Shin-Soo Choo and Nelson Cruz, and trade targets Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier. Given that the Mariners only have to deal with two arbitration-eligible players, Justin Smoak and Michael Saunders, and currently have $36.5 million on the books for 2014, they still have plenty of room before matching last season’s Opening Day payroll of $84 million. It’s conceivable that they could pull the trigger on deals for both an outfielder and a top-tier starter.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)