Dec 8, 2013, 12:25 PM EDT
Another thing to monitor at the Winter Meetings …
According to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, the Royals are expressing interest in free agent second baseman Omar Infante and will try to beat out the Yankees for his services. The two clubs engaged in a biding war for outfielder Carlos Beltran — which the Yanks won — and Heyman notes that Kansas City faces an “uphill battle” with its Infante quest.
Infante, 31, hit .318/.345/.450 with 10 home runs and 51 RBI in 118 games this past year for the American League Central-champion Tigers. He seems destined to become the Robinson Cano replacement in New York, but the Royals are going to try hard. Kansas City second basemen batted .243/.296/.304 in 2013.
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a serious Achilles injury Saturday night 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 4
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 77
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)