Dec 8, 2013, 12:25 PM EST
Another thing to monitor at the Winter Meetings …
According to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, the Royals are expressing interest in free agent second baseman Omar Infante and will try to beat out the Yankees for his services. The two clubs engaged in a biding war for outfielder Carlos Beltran — which the Yanks won — and Heyman notes that Kansas City faces an “uphill battle” with its Infante quest.
Infante, 31, hit .318/.345/.450 with 10 home runs and 51 RBI in 118 games this past year for the American League Central-champion Tigers. He seems destined to become the Robinson Cano replacement in New York, but the Royals are going to try hard. Kansas City second basemen batted .243/.296/.304 in 2013.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27