Dec 8, 2013, 12:25 PM EDT
Another thing to monitor at the Winter Meetings …
According to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, the Royals are expressing interest in free agent second baseman Omar Infante and will try to beat out the Yankees for his services. The two clubs engaged in a biding war for outfielder Carlos Beltran — which the Yanks won — and Heyman notes that Kansas City faces an “uphill battle” with its Infante quest.
Infante, 31, hit .318/.345/.450 with 10 home runs and 51 RBI in 118 games this past year for the American League Central-champion Tigers. He seems destined to become the Robinson Cano replacement in New York, but the Royals are going to try hard. Kansas City second basemen batted .243/.296/.304 in 2013.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)