Dec 8, 2013, 7:35 PM EDT
Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times caused a bit of a stir after publishing a scathing takedown of the culture within the Mariners’ front office, quoting various former employees. Among them were ex-manager Eric Wedge and former special assistant to the GM Tony Blengino.
In the report, Baker writes that Blengino prepared a job application package for then-GM-hopeful Jack Zduriencik painting the man as a “dual threat” capable of utilizing both scouting and statistical analysis. Blengino, however, told Baker: “Jack never has understood one iota about statistical analysis. To this day, he evaluates hitters by homers, RBI and batting average and pitchers by wins and ERA.” According to Baker’s article, Zduriencik reduced Blengino’s role within the organization more and more before ultimately getting rid of him back in August. “Jack tried to destroy me,” Blengino said.
Jim Duquette of MLB Network Radio recently tweeted this, adding yet more intrigue:
Tony Blengino – former M’s exec just told us “the article is just the tip of the iceberg on what has gone on in Seattle.”
— Jim Duquette (@Jim_Duquette) December 8, 2013
If misleading resumes, bitter office politics, and a complete lack of organizational direction and leadership are “just the tip of the iceberg”, one has to wonder what lies beneath the surface.
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 91
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (109)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (91)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)