Dec 8, 2013, 7:35 PM EDT
Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times caused a bit of a stir after publishing a scathing takedown of the culture within the Mariners’ front office, quoting various former employees. Among them were ex-manager Eric Wedge and former special assistant to the GM Tony Blengino.
In the report, Baker writes that Blengino prepared a job application package for then-GM-hopeful Jack Zduriencik painting the man as a “dual threat” capable of utilizing both scouting and statistical analysis. Blengino, however, told Baker: “Jack never has understood one iota about statistical analysis. To this day, he evaluates hitters by homers, RBI and batting average and pitchers by wins and ERA.” According to Baker’s article, Zduriencik reduced Blengino’s role within the organization more and more before ultimately getting rid of him back in August. “Jack tried to destroy me,” Blengino said.
Jim Duquette of MLB Network Radio recently tweeted this, adding yet more intrigue:
Tony Blengino – former M’s exec just told us “the article is just the tip of the iceberg on what has gone on in Seattle.”
— Jim Duquette (@Jim_Duquette) December 8, 2013
If misleading resumes, bitter office politics, and a complete lack of organizational direction and leadership are “just the tip of the iceberg”, one has to wonder what lies beneath the surface.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 13
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 50
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (82)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)