Dec 8, 2013, 3:58 PM EST
Brett Gardner trade rumors are all the rage at the moment, but he’s not the only Yankees outfielder on the block. This comes from beat writer Chad Jennings of New York’s Journal News:
According to one rival executive, the Yankees have also mentioned Ichiro Suzuki’s name in trade talks. There’s no indication that any sort of Ichiro trade is close, and his trade value is minimal at best. One baseball source questioned how well Ichiro would adjust to a fourth outfielder role, which is the way most teams are likely to value him.
Ichiro turned 40 years old in October and batted just .262/.297/.342 in 555 plate appearances this summer for the Yankees. He has a .305 on-base percentage and .661 OPS in his last 473 big league games.
Gardner would obviously fetch a much better return, but he’s also by far the better player. If the Yankees aren’t overwhelmed by a trade proposal for him, they can simply break up their outfield surplus by giving Ichiro away. A starting outfield of Gardner, Jacoby Ellsbury and Carlos Beltran would look pretty sharp.
Ichiro is set to make $6.5 million in 2014 — the final year of a two-year, $13 million contract.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)