Dec 9, 2013, 3:01 PM EST
After having his career derailed by back problems, first baseman David Cooper is on the way back with Cleveland, signing a one-year, major league deal on Monday.
Cooper, Toronto’s first-round pick in 2008, was last seen hitting .300/.324/.464 in 140 at-bats with the Blue Jays in 2012. He hurt his back that August diving back into first base and had surgery in 2013 to have a plate and screws inserted into his vertebrae. The Jays released him in March, and the Indians initially signed him in August, only to let him go when he requested his release a couple of weeks later.
The signing today puts him on the 40-man roster, but he probably won’t break camp with the Indians. He’s going to need at least a couple of hundred at-bats in Triple-A before he’s ready to contend for a roster spot.
Still, if Cooper does end up contributing, the Indians will be able to keep him for a long time. He doesn’t even have one full year of service time yet, so he’s probably not going to be arbitration eligible until after 2016 or eligible for free agency until after 2019.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)