Dec 9, 2013, 3:25 PM EDT
Jarrod Saltalamacchia, his wife and his three daughters just came into the media room here at the Winter Meetings to be introduced as the Marlins’ new catcher. It was a touching ceremony:
It put me in mind of the Winter Meetings two short years ago, when we last saw the Marlins introduce a big free agent signing:
So I guess that puts the over/under on the Marlins trading Saltalamacchia at, what, seven or eight months?
Of note: Jeff Loria was front and center for that Heath Bell presser in 2011. He was here today too, but not on the dais with the Marlins brass. He was sitting in the media chairs off to the far left, trying his best to be inconspicuous. Indeed, when I aimed my camera at him he made a point to sit back and low, apparently not wanting to be seen.
Question: does this presage a bold new era in Marlins history in which their owner is rarely seen and even more rarely heard? Or is he just sorta ashamed to be seen publicly?
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 131
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 33
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (131)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)