Dec 9, 2013, 3:25 PM EST
Jarrod Saltalamacchia, his wife and his three daughters just came into the media room here at the Winter Meetings to be introduced as the Marlins’ new catcher. It was a touching ceremony:
It put me in mind of the Winter Meetings two short years ago, when we last saw the Marlins introduce a big free agent signing:
So I guess that puts the over/under on the Marlins trading Saltalamacchia at, what, seven or eight months?
Of note: Jeff Loria was front and center for that Heath Bell presser in 2011. He was here today too, but not on the dais with the Marlins brass. He was sitting in the media chairs off to the far left, trying his best to be inconspicuous. Indeed, when I aimed my camera at him he made a point to sit back and low, apparently not wanting to be seen.
Question: does this presage a bold new era in Marlins history in which their owner is rarely seen and even more rarely heard? Or is he just sorta ashamed to be seen publicly?
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 10
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 55
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 139
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (139)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)