Dec 9, 2013, 12:53 PM EDT
According to FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal, free agent Jeff Francouer recently had LASIK surgery and has decided to go to a lighter bat in an attempt to salvage his career.
The soon-to-be 30-year-old Francoeur finished last season out of the league after being let go by the Giants in late August. On the heels of a rough 2012, he hit a combined .204/.238/.298 in 245 at-bats for the Royals and Giants.
Francoeur has long used one of the game’s biggest bats, but he’s going to try changing that up next season. According to Rosenthal, he and Baltimore’s Chris Davis were the only players in the league to use 35-ounce bats last season. A lighter bat might allow him to start his swing a bit later, giving him more time to realize that he might not want to flail at the 59-foot curveballs and heaters above his head.
Francoeur has hit .263/.306/.419 with 140 homers in nine big-league seasons. He’s probably going to have to accept a minor league contract with a chance to compete for a bench job next spring.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (126)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (98)