Dec 9, 2013, 3:50 PM EST
Now that the Marlins have gotten older and worse by signing Garrett Jones, the smarter teams are coming out of the woodwork in pursuit of Logan Morrison. FOXSports.com’s Jon Morosi says both the Pirates and Rays have had conversations regarding the first baseman.
John Perotto of the Beaver County Times reports that the Pirates and Marlins have talked about a 2-for-1 that would send the versatile Josh Harrison and a second player to Miami for Morrison. Ironically, that would essentially make Morrison the replacement for Jones in Pittsburgh.
What’s going on in the Rays’ talks isn’t as clear, though it was reported last week that the Marlins liked infielder-outfielder Sean Rodriguez. Either Harrison or Rodriguez could serve as a starting third baseman for Miami until 2013 first-round pick Colin Moran is ready.
The interesting sidenote here is that both the Pirates and Rays would likely prefer to sign James Loney to play first base than acquire Morrison. Loney, though, is currently asking for a three-year deal in the $20 million range. If Morrison does get traded to one of the teams, it could actually serve to bring down Loney’s price tag for the other.
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 1
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 20
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 62
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)