Dec 9, 2013, 6:15 PM EST
Danny Espinosa lost his starting second base job to Anthony Rendon this past season and now he could be on the move. According to Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports, the Nationals are listening to offers on the 26-year-old infielder.
Espinosa attempted to play through wrist and shoulder injuries in 2013 while batting just .158/.193/.272 with three home runs and a ghastly 47/4 K/BB ratio through 44 games at the major league level. His struggles continued following a demotion to Triple-A Syracuse in June and the Nationals decided against bringing him back as a September call-up.
The Nationals traded Steve Lombardozzi to the Tigers in the Doug Fister deal last week, so Espinosa is currently projected to fill his utility infielder role. Of course, things could change if someone comes along with the right offer. While Espinosa has obvious issues with plate discipline, he doesn’t turn 27 until April and offers defensive versatility along with pop and speed. He could be a buy-low target for someone.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 0
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 42
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 39
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)