Dec 9, 2013, 7:17 PM EST
With Robinson Cano and Jacoby Ellsbury off the board, Shin-Soo Choo is the biggest name remaining in the free agent market. And it sounds like he could find a new home during this week’s Winter Meetings in Orlando, Florida:
Many have speculated that the Tigers could also be involved, though that’s not confirmed.
David Murphy recently signed a two-year deal with the Indians while Craig Gentry was dealt to the Athletics, so the Rangers have some big questions in left field. Michael Choice, who was acquired in the Gentry deal is one option, though it’s unlikely they’ll go that way. Choo would obviously address that need quite nicely, though it will take around $100 million to make it happen.
On a related note, Rangers general manager Jon Daniels confirmed to Jeff Wilson of the Fort-Worth Star-Telegram that he met with the agent for Nelson Cruz today. However, he added that the team has likely already made their big offseason splash with the Prince Fielder deal. Sounds exactly like someone who could have something big cooking.
UPDATE: Rosenthal reports that the Diamondbacks are also in on Choo and remain “active on multiple fronts.”
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 40
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (245)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)