Dec 9, 2013, 10:23 PM EDT
Masterson is just one year away from free agency, so the Indians would prefer pieces that they can control for the long-term. The 28-year-old right-hander earned $5.6875 million this past season while posting a 3.45 ERA and 195/76 K/BB ratio over 193 innings. He’s due another raise in arbitration this winter and could be poised for a big-money contract next offseason if he remains healthy and effective in 2014.
The Indians’ rotation could have a very different look next year, as Scott Kazmir has already left for a two-year, $22 million contract with the Athletics while Ubaldo Jimenez is expected to receive one of the biggest contracts among free agent starters.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 54
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 28
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 61
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)