Dec 9, 2013, 10:23 PM EDT
Masterson is just one year away from free agency, so the Indians would prefer pieces that they can control for the long-term. The 28-year-old right-hander earned $5.6875 million this past season while posting a 3.45 ERA and 195/76 K/BB ratio over 193 innings. He’s due another raise in arbitration this winter and could be poised for a big-money contract next offseason if he remains healthy and effective in 2014.
The Indians’ rotation could have a very different look next year, as Scott Kazmir has already left for a two-year, $22 million contract with the Athletics while Ubaldo Jimenez is expected to receive one of the biggest contracts among free agent starters.
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 0
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 5
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (107)