Dec 9, 2013, 10:23 PM EDT
Masterson is just one year away from free agency, so the Indians would prefer pieces that they can control for the long-term. The 28-year-old right-hander earned $5.6875 million this past season while posting a 3.45 ERA and 195/76 K/BB ratio over 193 innings. He’s due another raise in arbitration this winter and could be poised for a big-money contract next offseason if he remains healthy and effective in 2014.
The Indians’ rotation could have a very different look next year, as Scott Kazmir has already left for a two-year, $22 million contract with the Athletics while Ubaldo Jimenez is expected to receive one of the biggest contracts among free agent starters.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 2
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 10
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 87
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 80
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (87)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)