Dec 9, 2013, 10:23 PM EDT
Masterson is just one year away from free agency, so the Indians would prefer pieces that they can control for the long-term. The 28-year-old right-hander earned $5.6875 million this past season while posting a 3.45 ERA and 195/76 K/BB ratio over 193 innings. He’s due another raise in arbitration this winter and could be poised for a big-money contract next offseason if he remains healthy and effective in 2014.
The Indians’ rotation could have a very different look next year, as Scott Kazmir has already left for a two-year, $22 million contract with the Athletics while Ubaldo Jimenez is expected to receive one of the biggest contracts among free agent starters.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)