Dec 9, 2013, 8:33 PM EDT
It’s been suspected all offseason that the Mets would shop second baseman Daniel Murphy and Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports hears that they are pushing “very hard” to move him at this week’s Winter Meetings.
Nothing appears imminent, but Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that the Orioles are among the teams who have looked into acquiring Murphy. They also have some interest in Murphy’s teammate Ike Davis, but Sherman sees the Brewers or Rays as better fits for the first baseman.
Murphy, who turns 29 in April, earned $2.925 million this past season while batting .286/.319/.415 with 13 home runs, 78 RBI, 23 stolen bases over 161 games. He’s expected to get a hefty raise in his second year of arbitration, so the Mets could move him and use the savings to upgrade elsewhere. Eric Young, Jr. would be the most likely option to take over the second base job if Murphy is dealt.
UPDATE: Marc Carig of New York Newsday hears that the Mets aren’t “pushing” to move Murphy, but are open to listening. Meanwhile, Jim Duquette of MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM was told by a source that conversations between the Mets and Orioles are being “way overblown.” Such is life at the Winter Meetings.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)