Dec 9, 2013, 8:33 PM EDT
It’s been suspected all offseason that the Mets would shop second baseman Daniel Murphy and Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports hears that they are pushing “very hard” to move him at this week’s Winter Meetings.
Nothing appears imminent, but Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that the Orioles are among the teams who have looked into acquiring Murphy. They also have some interest in Murphy’s teammate Ike Davis, but Sherman sees the Brewers or Rays as better fits for the first baseman.
Murphy, who turns 29 in April, earned $2.925 million this past season while batting .286/.319/.415 with 13 home runs, 78 RBI, 23 stolen bases over 161 games. He’s expected to get a hefty raise in his second year of arbitration, so the Mets could move him and use the savings to upgrade elsewhere. Eric Young, Jr. would be the most likely option to take over the second base job if Murphy is dealt.
UPDATE: Marc Carig of New York Newsday hears that the Mets aren’t “pushing” to move Murphy, but are open to listening. Meanwhile, Jim Duquette of MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM was told by a source that conversations between the Mets and Orioles are being “way overblown.” Such is life at the Winter Meetings.
- Rays play Saturday’s game against the Blue Jays under protest 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 10
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 33
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 242
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (242)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)