Dec 9, 2013, 8:33 PM EDT
It’s been suspected all offseason that the Mets would shop second baseman Daniel Murphy and Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports hears that they are pushing “very hard” to move him at this week’s Winter Meetings.
Nothing appears imminent, but Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that the Orioles are among the teams who have looked into acquiring Murphy. They also have some interest in Murphy’s teammate Ike Davis, but Sherman sees the Brewers or Rays as better fits for the first baseman.
Murphy, who turns 29 in April, earned $2.925 million this past season while batting .286/.319/.415 with 13 home runs, 78 RBI, 23 stolen bases over 161 games. He’s expected to get a hefty raise in his second year of arbitration, so the Mets could move him and use the savings to upgrade elsewhere. Eric Young, Jr. would be the most likely option to take over the second base job if Murphy is dealt.
UPDATE: Marc Carig of New York Newsday hears that the Mets aren’t “pushing” to move Murphy, but are open to listening. Meanwhile, Jim Duquette of MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM was told by a source that conversations between the Mets and Orioles are being “way overblown.” Such is life at the Winter Meetings.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 20
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 15
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 76
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 52
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (280)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)