Report: Phillies dangling All-Star Domonic Brown

Dec 9, 2013, 1:28 PM EST

Domonic Brown AP

The Phillies’ Domonic Brown had a breakthrough season at age 25, finishing tied for fourth in the NL with 27 homers and appearing in the All-Star Game. That would seem to make him a centerpiece player, right?

The big problem with Brown is that his defense is truly hideous in left field. UZR rated him 58th of the 62 outfielders to play at least 900 innings last season, and the eye test suggest his defensive stats aren’t very far off the mark. He’s not so bad that he has to become a DH immediately, but he does give away a fair amount of that offensive value with his glovework.

And that’s why the Phillies are open to moving him. For one thing, they have a very similar replacement available in Darin Ruf; he can offer similar power, though from the opposite side of the plate, and similarly bad defense. He also wouldn’t have the same kind of trade value as Brown. Brown might be able to fetch Chris Tillman from the Orioles or James Paxton or Erasmo Ramirez, plus a second prospect, from the Mariners. Ruf probably wouldn’t bring a legitimate starting pitcher back by himself.

1. disulfide - Dec 9, 2013 at 1:34 PM

I wouldn’t trust RAJ to bring anything useful back.

• rdillon99 - Dec 9, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Maybe RAJ would take Halladay’s one-day contract from the Blue Jays?

• chadjones27 - Dec 9, 2013 at 4:20 PM

And he’d sign him for $20+ million for that one day

• scatterbrian - Dec 9, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Someone will overpay for this dude, blinded by a shiny 27 HRs in 2013. What they won’t see is that 16 of those came in a 35-game stretch, or that only 8 came in the final 77 games of the season. RAJ will get something useful, in an even-a-blind-squirrel-finds-a-nut way.

2. tvguy22 - Dec 9, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Ruin Tomorrow, Jr. is hoping to get a 38 year old pitcher and a 37 year old utility player in return. You know, to lower the average age of the team.

• spudchukar - Dec 9, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I don’t know if that is original, but “Ruin Tomorrow, Jr.”, is pretty damn funny.

• cur68 - Dec 9, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Second time I’ve seen this, Spuddy and it still makes me laugh. I wonder if we can work with “Aaron Anthopolous” like this?

• Kevin S. - Dec 9, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I’ve been using it for a while, and I know I didn’t come up with it.

• Caught Looking - Dec 9, 2013 at 2:35 PM

AA = Arrant Apocalypse

3. cohnjusack - Dec 9, 2013 at 1:45 PM

finishing tied for fourth in the NL with 27 homers

Man…how things have changed.

In 2000, 27 home runs would have ranked 26th in the NL.

4. sknut - Dec 9, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Is defense not something he can get better at? I mean he is 25, are his instincts that poor? It seems that being a younger player you could still improve your defense at least somewhat. I would be curious if teams that are advanced on defense positioning wouldn’t see an increase in value in a guy like Brown, if they could get him in better spots in the outfield and maybe the Phillies did and he was still a poor fielder, it just seems baffling to me that a young guy can’t improve a little bit at least.

• Francisco (FC) - Dec 9, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Well, technically speaking, Delmon Young is a young guy.

• sknut - Dec 9, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Touche and as a Twins fan, I experienced his defense first hand or I should say his attempt at defense.

5. spudchukar - Dec 9, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Some headlines just have to be changed.

6. ryanrockzzz - Dec 9, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Because pitching has always been what’s wrong with the Phillies the last few years. Seriously RAJ is just inept. And the ownership not wanting to raise the payroll at all until 2015 only furthers the problem. When you have a GM who is only good at throwing money at players, there aren’t many “creative” moves he will pull to give me confidence.

Maybe they can get something, anything for that closer that we “had to have” a few years back. Because you know….pitching was the reason they lost 1-0 to the Cardinals that prior year.

Oh Ruben.

7. 18thstreet - Dec 9, 2013 at 2:33 PM

John Lackey?

• Kevin S. - Dec 9, 2013 at 2:46 PM

And he costs nothing in 2015!

8. ochospantalones - Dec 9, 2013 at 2:34 PM

I am a long time Dom Brown supporter, but I think it is quite possible that last season is as good as it gets for Dom. I would be ok with trading him for a good young starting pitcher, but I don’t remotely trust RAJ to make that deal a good one.

9. gbrim - Dec 9, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Not sure how long Brown is controllable, but the DBacks need a LF, and Tyler Skaggs is available.

• Kevin S. - Dec 9, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Four years. Did Skaggs get hurt last year, or did he just kind of randomly crap the bed?

• gbrim - Dec 9, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Velocity drop, plus pitching in Reno doesn’t do anyone any favors. Skaggs no longer the elite prospect he once was, but he’s still solid, and Brown has his flaws, too.

10. phillysports1 - Dec 9, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Chris Sale of the white sox ??? White sox lineup are full with right handed hitters besides Dunn … How does that sound ?

• Kevin S. - Dec 9, 2013 at 2:54 PM

It sounds like you’re a delusional Phillies fan. Sale is an ace locked up for peanuts over the next six years. Brown is a former top prospect who finally had his first good season at the plate. Put it this way – Chris Sale was #10 on Jonah Keri’s just-released trade value column. Brown’s name doesn’t appear anywhere in the article.

11. 12strikes - Dec 9, 2013 at 2:47 PM

If Dom was 52 instead of 25 RAJ would sign him to a 3 year 30 million extension.

12. phillysports1 - Dec 9, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Or trade him to Oakland for Yoenis , Brett Anderson ? ?

• scatterbrian - Dec 9, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Brad Pitt isn’t the GM in real life. The A’s still have smart people in their front office.

13. jakefishh - Dec 9, 2013 at 2:54 PM

I would love the Royals to get in on this. I know its probably not possible without trading Ventura/Zimmer/Duffy, but if we could get them to settle for a Chris Dwyer/Jason Adam with a bullpen guy, such as Crow, and maybe a prospect or maybe Butler. I would hate to let go of Lorenzo Cain because of his incredible defense but we need bats. A lineup of Perez, Hoz, Colon, Esky, Moose, Gordo, Cain, Aoki, and Brown at DH would be VERY solid.

14. phillysports1 - Dec 9, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Sox owner said Chris Sale is not “untradeable “…. You never know unless you actually work behind Sox front office .

• paperlions - Dec 9, 2013 at 3:29 PM

…but if Sale was available 28 other teams would offer far more than Brown….and yes, I know this despite working in zero front offices.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 9, 2013 at 3:41 PM

He’s not arguing with you about whether Sale is untradable or not, he’s arguing that Brown isn’t in the same ballpark in value as Sale.

15. phillysports1 - Dec 9, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Believe me ! I know it’s not going happen …. I was just throwing stuff out there .. Relax man

16. DelawarePhilliesFan - Dec 9, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I realize I am setting myself up for 157 “I hate Amaro!” comments, but look at this objectively. If someone were to ask me if Brown will again have the season he had last year, I would say no. If someone were to ask me do I see his trade value being higher in years to come, I also would say no. Probably 60-40 certainty on both.

So imo, what you think of Amaro is irrelevant. He will be gone in a year – does that mean the Phillies should hold onto Brown, so that the next GM can trade him? I don’t think so – his trade value will be too low….even if you want to handicap that future value against what Amaro will do.

It’s a close call, but I would trade him

• chadjones27 - Dec 9, 2013 at 4:29 PM

The Amaro hate stems from those who don’t mind if Brown gets traded but realize anything Amaro gets in return will more than likely not pan out.
      To be honest, the only thing that really keeps Amaro above average with trades is that those he gives away (and he’s given a lot in return for little) haven’t become perenial all-stars, or, solid starters for that matter.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Dec 9, 2013 at 8:41 PM

I get where it is coming from, just saying it doesn’t address the real issue of whether its a good idea or not

17. hijackthemic - Jan 25, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Another team will probably teach him how to field at an average defensive level in a week. Why does Philly even bother having coaches on the payroll?

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester