Dec 9, 2013, 6:43 PM EDT
Angels general manager Jerry Dipoto has routinely downplayed a potential trade of Mark Trumbo so far this offseason, but things are heating up at the Winter Meetings in Orlando.
The Diamondbacks are in the market for a power bat this winter and made a strong run at Carlos Beltran before he agreed to a deal with the Yankees. Trumbo would obviously fit the bill, but the price tag would be substantial. Arizona does have starting pitching to deal, which is one obvious area of need for the Angels. Top prospect Archie Bradley isn’t going anywhere, but Bob Nightengale of USA Today speculated over the weekend that Tyler Skaggs, Trevor Cahill, Brandon McCarthy and Wade Miley could be on the table.
Trumbo, who turns 28 in January, has amassed 95 home runs over the past three seasons. Only Jay Bruce, Jose Bautista, Adrian Beltre, and Miguel Cabrera have more during the same timespan. His power has value, but he owns a .299 on-base percentage through 460 games in the majors.
UPDATE: CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that 12 teams are in the mix for Trumbo, with ESPN’s Jayson Stark naming the Royals as another potential fit. Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times hears that the Angels are not interested in Skaggs for Trumbo, at least one-for-one-.
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 2
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 38
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 59
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 70
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 44
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 30
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)