Dec 9, 2013, 6:43 PM EDT
Angels general manager Jerry Dipoto has routinely downplayed a potential trade of Mark Trumbo so far this offseason, but things are heating up at the Winter Meetings in Orlando.
The Diamondbacks are in the market for a power bat this winter and made a strong run at Carlos Beltran before he agreed to a deal with the Yankees. Trumbo would obviously fit the bill, but the price tag would be substantial. Arizona does have starting pitching to deal, which is one obvious area of need for the Angels. Top prospect Archie Bradley isn’t going anywhere, but Bob Nightengale of USA Today speculated over the weekend that Tyler Skaggs, Trevor Cahill, Brandon McCarthy and Wade Miley could be on the table.
Trumbo, who turns 28 in January, has amassed 95 home runs over the past three seasons. Only Jay Bruce, Jose Bautista, Adrian Beltre, and Miguel Cabrera have more during the same timespan. His power has value, but he owns a .299 on-base percentage through 460 games in the majors.
UPDATE: CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that 12 teams are in the mix for Trumbo, with ESPN’s Jayson Stark naming the Royals as another potential fit. Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times hears that the Angels are not interested in Skaggs for Trumbo, at least one-for-one-.
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 9
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 64
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 86
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 20
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 70
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (277)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (147)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)