Skip to content

Rumor: Nelson Cruz turned down five years, $75 million from Mariners

Dec 9, 2013, 9:13 PM EDT

Nelson Cruz AP

Ryan Divish of the Seattle Times has been checking in all day with updates from the Winter Meetings in Orlando. Earlier this evening, he unleashed this interesting little nugget:

There are rumors that free agent outfielder Nelson Cruz turned down the Mariners’ offer of 5-years, $75 million. That’s a lot of money for a guy that’s 33 and coming off a PED suspension and doesn’t hit well outside of Arlington. It may actually be a good thing for the Mariners. Cruz is being rumored to be interested in going to Baltimore.

If true, it’s really hard to say who was more off base in this scenario, the Mariners for offering five years and $75 million in the first place or Cruz for turning it down. If anything, Cruz might have saved the Mariners from themselves.

  1. spudchukar - Dec 9, 2013 at 9:19 PM

    That is exactly what I was thinking. Thanks Nelson for the turn-down. Signed Mariner fans.

    • spudchukar - Dec 9, 2013 at 9:23 PM

      Not only that he costs a draft choice too.

      • Kevin S. - Dec 9, 2013 at 9:27 PM

        To be fair, it would only be a third-round choice (first was protected, second lost when they signed Cano).

        That being said, I don’t think I can draw up a player who would be more affected by Safeco than a RH power hitter who derives basically all his value from home runs. At least Beltre had his stellar defense at a premium position to fall back on.

      • spudchukar - Dec 9, 2013 at 9:29 PM

        I agree with the Safeco part, but I think he still costs a compensation pick.

      • Kevin S. - Dec 9, 2013 at 9:32 PM

        Yes he does. As I said, the next available one to surrender is their third-round pick.

      • spudchukar - Dec 9, 2013 at 9:34 PM

        Maybe you are correct, but that must mean that none of the Mariners FA (7 I think), either costs a pick or were matched, which could very well be true.

      • Kevin S. - Dec 9, 2013 at 9:40 PM

        It’s not just any FA, only the ones who are given a qualifying that have draft pick compensation attached to them. That said, I completely forgot about Kendrys Morales.

        If Morales signs with another team, then the comp pick they would have gotten for him would be lost because of the Cano signing, and signing Cruz would cost them their second-round pick. If Morales re-signs with the Mariners (or isn’t signed at all before the draft), then signing Cano cost the Mariners their second-round pick and they’d lose their third-round pick. Either way, the Mariners’ first-round pick is safe and the only potential comp pick they could have gotten is already gone because of the Cano signing. This stuff is confusing, and it doesn’t help that most of the conversation has been about the Yankees, who both signed and lost multiple FA subject to draft-pick compensation.

      • spudchukar - Dec 9, 2013 at 9:46 PM

        Yeah, I thought I mentioned that but you are correct, if you want the most difficult possible scenario to try and understand, not only a confusing, but ever-changing rule, just look to this year’s Yankees, and they aren’t done.

    • theblazianasian - Dec 9, 2013 at 11:24 PM

      You know it, I would rather sign raul to that contract and still get better results.

  2. phillysports1 - Dec 9, 2013 at 9:23 PM

    He should of never turned it down .

    • bigyankeemike - Dec 10, 2013 at 6:22 AM

      He should HAVE never turned it down.

      ~~ Grammar Police

      • riotpunch26 - Dec 10, 2013 at 9:15 AM

        Nerd.

  3. Gordon - Dec 9, 2013 at 9:27 PM

    These stories further prove the accuracy of Blengino’s allegations.

    • baseballisboring - Dec 9, 2013 at 10:19 PM

      I think Jack Z just may be obsessed with power…

      • theblazianasian - Dec 10, 2013 at 1:13 AM

        You mean is?

  4. Old Gator - Dec 9, 2013 at 9:34 PM

    I hear there are some excellent anti-aging clinics in Baltimore.

    Disguised as crab houses.

    • drewzducks - Dec 9, 2013 at 10:25 PM

      They’re in that part of Charm City referred to as the Red Lobster district.

  5. cohnjusack - Dec 9, 2013 at 9:42 PM

    $75 million for a poor-fielding, 33-year-old corner outfielder who has posted a 108 OPS+ over the last three years?

  6. booboo31 - Dec 9, 2013 at 9:47 PM

    must be a rumour, wanting to go to a city like baltimore instead of seattle??? yikes…

  7. nymets4ever - Dec 9, 2013 at 9:57 PM

    ok, i’m usually the first one to say that athletes are NOT overpaid, it’s all about what the market dictates, etc…but 5/75 for Nelson Cruz (and him feeling slighted by that, no less) = officially out of control.

  8. m3dman3 - Dec 9, 2013 at 10:16 PM

    Nobody wants to go to Seattle, that’s where you go to watch your career die.

  9. rangermania - Dec 9, 2013 at 10:17 PM

    You Mariners lucked out! Signed Texas fan.

  10. sportsnut101 - Dec 9, 2013 at 10:42 PM

    Lucky he didn’t sign it how much does he think he’s getting he doesn’t hit for avg he doesn’t field well he strikes out a lot. He’s not clutch oh yea that’s worth 75 mill.
    I know Seattle needs names n players but not for that price

  11. jeffperk - Dec 9, 2013 at 11:53 PM

    There’s no way Peter the Terrible is pursuing this guy or the Orioles are paying that kind of money! Orioles fans, suffering under the tyranny of the Angeles family since 1993 as they continue to destroy this once proud franchise!

  12. matttucker76 - Dec 10, 2013 at 12:17 AM

    I appreciate the team finally going out and making some splashes in the FA market, but this is coming off desperate. Go big, but go about it smart, guys.

  13. hittfamily - Dec 10, 2013 at 5:51 AM

    M’s fans, you guys are screwed. You’re going to give Nellie Cruz 100 mil and Andrew Friedman is going to take your 4 best prospects.

  14. markofapro - Dec 10, 2013 at 7:09 AM

    I think he wants to play for Rangers but Rangers ain’t gonna give him that money/ years or fall into negotiation trap based on what another is willing to offer.

    Take your money, Nelson.

  15. offthelows - Dec 10, 2013 at 9:56 AM

    I think this was a bit of a pile on given that story on Sunday about their front office. No way they offer 5 years and no way Cruz would turn it down. It would be his last big money contract, so no big worry about stats in a pitcher’s park

  16. brigadand - Dec 10, 2013 at 12:15 PM

    Pretty conclusive that the Mariners’ front office isn’t very bright. They also submitted an offer to Cano for nine years and $225 million. They then caught wind of a team that offerede same amount so they upped their offer to 10 years and $240 million. They later found that the rumored $225 million offer was their own, so they had bid against themselves and cost themselves $15 million and an extra year. Clueless and desperate.

  17. spc7ray - Dec 10, 2013 at 1:43 PM

    its ok–the Mariners will be ahead of the Angels in 2014–3rd place

Leave Comment

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!

Featured video

Yanks, Cards and Reds hit with injury bug
Top 10 MLB Player Searches
  1. J. Nelson (2777)
  2. M. Tanaka (2618)
  3. C. Gonzalez (2576)
  4. A. Alcantara (2500)
  5. M. Trumbo (2468)
  1. J. Votto (2353)
  2. C. Lee (2332)
  3. B. Hamilton (2320)
  4. V. Martinez (2291)
  5. Y. Molina (2063)