Dec 9, 2013, 7:56 AM EDT
The Hall of Fame will gain a few members later this morning as the Veteran’s Committee will vote on inductions this morning. The official announcement will take place at 10AM.
Tony La Russa
If I were a gambling man I’d put my money on La Russa, Cox and Torre. I’d like to say this is the year Marvin Miller finally gets his due — he has fallen just short a number of times — but there is always some amount of drama and uncertainty surrounding his candidacy. I feel as though people aren’t prepared to induct Steinbrenner yet, but eventually he will make it in. It all depends on how generous the committee is feeling this year. While I, personally, would vote in Quisenberry and Simmons, most of the players would appear to fall just short of what Hall voters tend to prefer and none of them seem like special cases whose popularity among voters outstrips their baseball bonafides.
No matter what happens, after the abject failure exhibited in the past couple of BBWAA elections, it’ll be nice to hear about a couple of folks given Hall of Fame honors later today.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (117)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)