Dec 9, 2013, 7:56 AM EDT
The Hall of Fame will gain a few members later this morning as the Veteran’s Committee will vote on inductions this morning. The official announcement will take place at 10AM.
Tony La Russa
If I were a gambling man I’d put my money on La Russa, Cox and Torre. I’d like to say this is the year Marvin Miller finally gets his due — he has fallen just short a number of times — but there is always some amount of drama and uncertainty surrounding his candidacy. I feel as though people aren’t prepared to induct Steinbrenner yet, but eventually he will make it in. It all depends on how generous the committee is feeling this year. While I, personally, would vote in Quisenberry and Simmons, most of the players would appear to fall just short of what Hall voters tend to prefer and none of them seem like special cases whose popularity among voters outstrips their baseball bonafides.
No matter what happens, after the abject failure exhibited in the past couple of BBWAA elections, it’ll be nice to hear about a couple of folks given Hall of Fame honors later today.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 25
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 11
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)