Dec 9, 2013, 7:56 AM EDT
The Hall of Fame will gain a few members later this morning as the Veteran’s Committee will vote on inductions this morning. The official announcement will take place at 10AM.
Tony La Russa
If I were a gambling man I’d put my money on La Russa, Cox and Torre. I’d like to say this is the year Marvin Miller finally gets his due — he has fallen just short a number of times — but there is always some amount of drama and uncertainty surrounding his candidacy. I feel as though people aren’t prepared to induct Steinbrenner yet, but eventually he will make it in. It all depends on how generous the committee is feeling this year. While I, personally, would vote in Quisenberry and Simmons, most of the players would appear to fall just short of what Hall voters tend to prefer and none of them seem like special cases whose popularity among voters outstrips their baseball bonafides.
No matter what happens, after the abject failure exhibited in the past couple of BBWAA elections, it’ll be nice to hear about a couple of folks given Hall of Fame honors later today.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)