Dec 9, 2013, 7:56 AM EDT
The Hall of Fame will gain a few members later this morning as the Veteran’s Committee will vote on inductions this morning. The official announcement will take place at 10AM.
Tony La Russa
If I were a gambling man I’d put my money on La Russa, Cox and Torre. I’d like to say this is the year Marvin Miller finally gets his due — he has fallen just short a number of times — but there is always some amount of drama and uncertainty surrounding his candidacy. I feel as though people aren’t prepared to induct Steinbrenner yet, but eventually he will make it in. It all depends on how generous the committee is feeling this year. While I, personally, would vote in Quisenberry and Simmons, most of the players would appear to fall just short of what Hall voters tend to prefer and none of them seem like special cases whose popularity among voters outstrips their baseball bonafides.
No matter what happens, after the abject failure exhibited in the past couple of BBWAA elections, it’ll be nice to hear about a couple of folks given Hall of Fame honors later today.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 333
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 72
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 45
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (334)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)