Tim McCarver’s broadcasting days aren’t over yet

Dec 9, 2013, 8:59 AM EDT

mccarver ap AP

Tim McCarver retired as Fox’s leading analyst after the World Series. But he’s not dropping the mic just yet: Fox Sports Midwest is about to hire him to do a limited number of Cardinals games next season.

The idea is for him to do 20-25 games, with opportunities coming as a result of an expected reduction in Mike Shannon’s schedule, which would lead TV guys Rick Horton and Al Hrabosky to shift to radio duty, thereby opening up slots for McCarver.

Which I think is good. I know McCarver bugs a lot of fans, especially younger ones. But when he’s not trying to play up to bigger storylines and simply talks about the game in front of him, he’s still an excellent analyst. Those opportunities became increasingly rare over the past few years, as in-game interviews of managers and the drama of postseason series coverage came to the fore. But in regular season games I bet McCarver will show folks that he still has it.

1. proudlycanadian - Dec 9, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I am glad that I am rarely exposed to him.

2. historiophiliac - Dec 9, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I am SO happy for paperlions! :D

• paperlions - Dec 9, 2013 at 1:31 PM

F. U. :-P

You know what is really sad? He is a huge upgrade over the Cardinals normal broadcast team. Hrabosky is a disaster, and McLaughlin and Horton are both 12 kinds of horrible….as soon as a 13th kind of horrible is invented, they’ll be that too.

• historiophiliac - Dec 9, 2013 at 1:57 PM

he he

That really is sad. I’m more grateful for Rod and Mario than ever (although I know they’d make you crazy). Maybe you’ll get lucky and he’ll fall asleep on air.

• paperlions - Dec 9, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I don’t ask for much from my announcers. Call the game, tell little stories if you want to as long as they don’t get in the way of the action, and give little bits of information that the general public may not know so you can learn more about the players. What I generally don’t need, is an announcer with an agenda that wants to show you how smart he is or that decides to go off the rails about something or that waxes nostalgic about how the good old days were so good but today (and today’s players) aren’t as good.

I don’t want or expect a sabermetrically oriented announcer, just someone that enhances the game viewing experience rather than getting in the way of it.

For example, the Red Sox announcers (at least, when Remy is there) are fun. They are funny and entertaining. They don’t take anything about baseball too seriously. They are enjoyable to listen to, in part, because you can tell how much fun they are having.

• historiophiliac - Dec 9, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Mario and Rod have that buddy cop thing going on. Come to think of it, you might get some good fashion tips from them. lol

• paperlions - Dec 9, 2013 at 2:30 PM

What, like wing-tips go with everything?

• historiophiliac - Dec 9, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Are you 90?

• paperlions - Dec 9, 2013 at 2:33 PM

No. That is the the only “buddy cop fashion tip” type of thing I could think of.

• historiophiliac - Dec 9, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Rod can dress and he appreciates other dudes’ fashion (and comments on it). He’s been working on Mario’s wardrobe. He could get you in a suit — and not a camo one.

• historiophiliac - Dec 9, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Hey, I’m watching an old episode of Ironside and the Giants are playing the Cards. lol

3. gibbyfan - Dec 9, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Craig– I agree with you completely on this one-I like him and look forward to having him back, especially doing Cardinal games.

4. 4d3fect - Dec 9, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Question at this point is how much more annoying will his Fox replacement be?

• alexo0 - Dec 9, 2013 at 9:47 AM

No more annoying than the actual FOX broadcast.

5. hushbrother - Dec 9, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Here, here. It’s hard to remember now but back in the day Mccarver was excellent calling Mets games.

• Old Gator - Dec 9, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Yes – and frankly, much of that was because he saw the “big storylines” and reminded us of them when appropriate. The guy is a historian by nature. I would love to hear him call the bombardment of Fort Sumter.

• historiophiliac - Dec 9, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I don’t mind some meandering if the story is good, but he is no Thomas Wolfe.

• Old Gator - Dec 9, 2013 at 10:46 AM

That’s very funny.

• hojo20 - Dec 9, 2013 at 11:11 AM

And Yankee games…

6. Marty McKee - Dec 9, 2013 at 10:10 AM

McCarver will probably look competent in St. Louis, compared to the inane blatherings of Shannon and Hrabosky.

• paperlions - Dec 9, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Exactly. Their broadcasters are freaking horrible. They are so bad the on MLB.TV, I almost always listen to the feed from the other team, with very rare exceptions.

7. anxovies - Dec 9, 2013 at 10:29 AM

My God! Will no one rid me of this fatuous media hag?

• Old Gator - Dec 9, 2013 at 10:47 AM

No, Ann Coulter will be with you as long as there is the blood of waifs to drink.

8. rje49 - Dec 9, 2013 at 11:20 AM

As an older fan, I have no problem with McCarver. I watch the game and don’t dwell on the announcers. I do, however dislike Fox broadcasts because of the way the sound comes through kind of muffled. It’s hard to hear. I’ve heard of others complain about it too.

9. fnnogg - Dec 9, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I’m really glad he’s going to be doing cards broadcasts… because it means I won’t ever have to listen to him again.

10. mj2sexay - Dec 9, 2013 at 12:03 PM

So long screwee, see ya in St. Louie!

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet