Dec 9, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Minnesota has been linked to Bronson Arroyo all offseason and today the free agent right-hander told Mark Sheldon of MLB.com that the Twins, Phillies, and Angels were among the teams he’s had talks with.
And now Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Twins are “making a push” for Arroyo with “talks gaining momentum.”
Arroyo certainly fits the Twins’ usual pitching mold in that he’s a low-velocity strike-thrower who serves up a lot of homers, but it’s somewhat surprising that Minnesota continues to pursue him so strongly even after signing Ricky Nolasco and Phil Hughes for a combined $73 million. Of course, with a payroll around $80 million right now the Twins certainly still have plenty of money to spend and their rotation has been the worst in baseball for the past two seasons.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 20
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 67
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 147
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)