Dec 9, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Minnesota has been linked to Bronson Arroyo all offseason and today the free agent right-hander told Mark Sheldon of MLB.com that the Twins, Phillies, and Angels were among the teams he’s had talks with.
And now Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Twins are “making a push” for Arroyo with “talks gaining momentum.”
Arroyo certainly fits the Twins’ usual pitching mold in that he’s a low-velocity strike-thrower who serves up a lot of homers, but it’s somewhat surprising that Minnesota continues to pursue him so strongly even after signing Ricky Nolasco and Phil Hughes for a combined $73 million. Of course, with a payroll around $80 million right now the Twins certainly still have plenty of money to spend and their rotation has been the worst in baseball for the past two seasons.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (109)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)