Dec 9, 2013, 11:27 PM EDT
We have seen some conflicting reports in recent days about whether the Rakuten Golden Eagles will post much-hyped right-hander Masahiro Tanaka this winter, but Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports brings word on why there could finally be some clarity on the situation this week:
The will-he-or-won’t-he question may find resolution in the next couple of days. Sources told Yahoo Sports that Yozo Tachibana, president of the Rakuten Golden Eagles, plans to arrive at the winter meetings here on Tuesday. His appearance may lend clarity to Rakuten’s plan of whether to accept a $20 million posting fee for the right-hander’s transfer to an MLB team this offseason or reject it and rob the pitching market of its jewel.
There was no limit on what MLB teams could bid under the old posting system with Nippon Professional Baseball, but the new system will reportedly cap bids at $20 million. Rakuten obviously isn’t happy about that change, as they stood to make considerably more under the old system, so word is that they could keep Tanaka in Japan. Passan brings up the possibility of Tanaka making an under-the-table teal with Rakuten in order to come to get their blessing to come to MLB, but that’s just speculation for now.
If Rakuten ultimately posts Tanaka, all teams who bid the $20 million max will be able to negotiate for his services. Passan polled executives today and found that they anticipate him potentially landing a six-year deal in the range of $100 million.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 69
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 80
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 62
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)