Dec 9, 2013, 11:27 PM EDT
We have seen some conflicting reports in recent days about whether the Rakuten Golden Eagles will post much-hyped right-hander Masahiro Tanaka this winter, but Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports brings word on why there could finally be some clarity on the situation this week:
The will-he-or-won’t-he question may find resolution in the next couple of days. Sources told Yahoo Sports that Yozo Tachibana, president of the Rakuten Golden Eagles, plans to arrive at the winter meetings here on Tuesday. His appearance may lend clarity to Rakuten’s plan of whether to accept a $20 million posting fee for the right-hander’s transfer to an MLB team this offseason or reject it and rob the pitching market of its jewel.
There was no limit on what MLB teams could bid under the old posting system with Nippon Professional Baseball, but the new system will reportedly cap bids at $20 million. Rakuten obviously isn’t happy about that change, as they stood to make considerably more under the old system, so word is that they could keep Tanaka in Japan. Passan brings up the possibility of Tanaka making an under-the-table teal with Rakuten in order to come to get their blessing to come to MLB, but that’s just speculation for now.
If Rakuten ultimately posts Tanaka, all teams who bid the $20 million max will be able to negotiate for his services. Passan polled executives today and found that they anticipate him potentially landing a six-year deal in the range of $100 million.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 22
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 39
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)