Dec 10, 2013, 8:11 AM EDT
When the Giants training staff checked in with Buster Posey recently, the former National League MVP had a goal in mind.
“He’s trying to get a little stronger in the lower half,” trainer Dave Groeschner said Monday, the first day of the annual Winter Meetings. Near the end of a disappointing second half of last season, Posey said he would do additional strength training this offseason so that he might “feel good all year.”
Because it was never, ever a priority for him to feel good all year in the past. Like, in 2012, Posey said he wanted to feel good until, say, August, then let himself slide slowly into exhaustion. Let’s not even talk about his rookie year when his clearly stated goal was to “totally hit a wall in July,” after which he would need orthopedic shoes.
So, there we have it: “professional athlete working out to keep himself in top physical condition” news at a time when we’re supposed to be talking about trades and signings and things.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)