Dec 10, 2013, 8:11 AM EST
When the Giants training staff checked in with Buster Posey recently, the former National League MVP had a goal in mind.
“He’s trying to get a little stronger in the lower half,” trainer Dave Groeschner said Monday, the first day of the annual Winter Meetings. Near the end of a disappointing second half of last season, Posey said he would do additional strength training this offseason so that he might “feel good all year.”
Because it was never, ever a priority for him to feel good all year in the past. Like, in 2012, Posey said he wanted to feel good until, say, August, then let himself slide slowly into exhaustion. Let’s not even talk about his rookie year when his clearly stated goal was to “totally hit a wall in July,” after which he would need orthopedic shoes.
So, there we have it: “professional athlete working out to keep himself in top physical condition” news at a time when we’re supposed to be talking about trades and signings and things.
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 42
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 108
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Dodgers cut Brian Wilson and his $9.5 million salary 53
- Royals and Alex Rios agree to one-year, $11 million contract 16
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. 95
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (115)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Jon Lester goes to Cubs for $155 million over six years (99)