Dec 10, 2013, 8:11 AM EST
When the Giants training staff checked in with Buster Posey recently, the former National League MVP had a goal in mind.
“He’s trying to get a little stronger in the lower half,” trainer Dave Groeschner said Monday, the first day of the annual Winter Meetings. Near the end of a disappointing second half of last season, Posey said he would do additional strength training this offseason so that he might “feel good all year.”
Because it was never, ever a priority for him to feel good all year in the past. Like, in 2012, Posey said he wanted to feel good until, say, August, then let himself slide slowly into exhaustion. Let’s not even talk about his rookie year when his clearly stated goal was to “totally hit a wall in July,” after which he would need orthopedic shoes.
So, there we have it: “professional athlete working out to keep himself in top physical condition” news at a time when we’re supposed to be talking about trades and signings and things.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 20
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 75
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (76)