Dec 10, 2013, 5:46 PM EDT
A lot of managers are great in press conferences. It doesn’t mean they’ll be great in the dugout. But given the P.R. week the Seattle Mariners have had, I think having Lloyd McClendon speak off-the-cuff in a funny, smart and engaging way is a good thing. Here were two of his quotes from the press conference he just gave here in Orlando:
When asked about whether Robinson Cano can and will be a leader in the Mariners clubhouse:
I hope he leads on the field. I’ll do the cheerleading and leading in the clubhouse. But I want guys on the field that can hit three‑run homers. Drive in a run from second base with two outs and two strikes in the ninth inning. Those to me are the guys that lead by example on the field. I don’t need guys to lead in the clubhouse. I’ll do that. I need the guys to do it on the field.
And when asked where Cano will hit in the lineup:
He can bat wherever he wants to bat. I told him, I said in the office, I said that couch over there is mine and that one’s yours. But if you’d like to have that one, you can have that one too. He’s a special talent. Look, there is no sense in fooling ourselves.
He made it clear right after that that Cano will be a team player, of course, and that he’ll do whatever it takes to help the team. But it’s pretty refreshing to hear a manager talk pretty realistically. Home runs are good. Leadership, at least when only vaguely defined, is overrated. Stars are different than the other guys.
Maybe the Mariners will be fun again soon.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)