Mark Mulder wants to attempt a comeback

Dec 10, 2013, 8:37 PM EDT

mark mulder getty Getty Images

Mark Mulder hasn’t pitched in a major league game since 2008 and chronic left shoulder issues robbed him of his ability to effectively retire batters by early 2006, but the veteran southpaw has been working on mechanical changes to his delivery between rounds of golf and he wants to sign with a team this winter with the idea of pulling off a grand comeback.

Jerry Crasnick has the story at ESPN.com:

Mulder, 36, retired in 2009 after two surgeries on his left shoulder had reduced his effectiveness and sapped his hopes of pitching at an elite level again. He’s been working as an analyst at ESPN since 2011, and had come to grips with the notion that his big-league days were at an end.

But things changed in October when Mulder watched Los Angeles Dodgers reliever Paco Rodriguez on TV and found something in Rodriguez’s delivery that he could emulate. Mulder spent the month of November working himself into shape at a Phoenix-area facility run by former big-league catcher Chad Moeller, and recently threw off the mound for three unspecified teams near his home in Scottsdale.

He said scouts clocked his fastball at 89-90 mph. Now he’s hoping to audition for more clubs and land an invitation to a spring training camp.

“I can’t even begin to tell you how excited I am,” Mulder told Crasnick by phone on Tuesday evening. “To be honest with you, I never anticipated this five or six weeks ago. It was just a flat-out fluke that came from me trying to imitate Paco Rodriguez in my living room.” This should at least be an interesting story to follow.

1. genericcommenter - Dec 10, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Apparently, he’s also been working on his Bill Clinton impression.

2. tribeguy07 - Dec 10, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I hope the indians give him a shot

• jwbiii - Dec 11, 2013 at 12:10 AM

My wife likes Patron XO with a Bailey’s Irish Cream floater.

3. cackalackyank - Dec 10, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Isn’t it amazing what the lure of say 3-10 million bucks a year can motivate you to do?

• km9000 - Dec 11, 2013 at 12:11 AM

I’m sure he made a nice sum from his playing days, and now has a studio job where he literally doesn’t have to break a sweat. Even if a team signs him, it likely wouldn’t be for much right away. I think it’s actually kind of admirable.

4. markofapro - Dec 10, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Jim Palmer, too?

5. hojo20 - Dec 10, 2013 at 9:10 PM

I like that blonde chick.

• tuberippin - Dec 10, 2013 at 10:43 PM

That redhead though…mmm.

6. erikh24 - Dec 10, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Interesting, especially because Paco has rather dreadful mechanics

7. jcmeyer10 - Dec 10, 2013 at 9:27 PM

The X-Files have a better chance at making a legit comeback at this point.

• aceshigh11 - Dec 10, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Funny you should mention that, because Chris Carter, David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson have all said recently that they’re up for doing another project.

The last movie was pretty poor, so I would welcome a chance for them to go out with a proper farewell.

• km9000 - Dec 11, 2013 at 12:07 AM

That redhead… mmm.

8. soundsofsuccess7 - Dec 10, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Angels you should trade some young talent to the Free Agent Pool for him, oh wait you’re out of young talent? Hmmm.. Better just sign him to a record contract then..

9. steelers88 - Dec 10, 2013 at 9:44 PM

This would nuts if he actually cameback and he was good. If this were to happen I’m pretty sure they would make this into a movie.

10. mgflolox - Dec 10, 2013 at 9:59 PM

If he can reach 90 with his fastball, someone will give him a shot. He is a lefty, after all.

11. syphermce - Dec 10, 2013 at 10:45 PM

It can’t hurt a team to give in a minor league deal with a spring training invite. Might not be able to start anymore but could make for a decent bullpen arm.

12. tfbuckfutter - Dec 10, 2013 at 11:16 PM

I like people who “get in shape” over the course of the month.

They clearly have a different regiment than my I’ll-quit-drinking-after-the-third-week-and-be-right-back-in-shape month-long plan.

13. blynch67 - Dec 11, 2013 at 7:32 AM

I’m thinking ‘sandwich’…

Anyone else thinking that?

14. blynch67 - Dec 11, 2013 at 7:43 AM

It’s 7:45 AM… I’m not even hungry yet and I want a sandwich…. What the heck??

15. rbj1 - Dec 11, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Marlins should give him a shot, maybe make it an MLBN special so the team could recoup his salary.

Time for Red Sox to be sellers?
  1. J. Hammel (2486)