Dec 10, 2013, 4:43 PM EDT
All the Brett Anderson rumors can stop swirling now: Oakland has traded the left-hander to Colorado in exchange for left-hander Drew Pomeranz and right-hander Chris Jensen, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com.
Anderson has been mostly injured since mid-2011, throwing just 80 innings during the past two seasons, but he’s still just 25 years old and before the injuries he’d emerged as one of the best young left-handed starters in baseball. He’ll be under the Rockies’ control through 2015, but his salaries are pretty big and trying to get his career back on track calling Coors Field home will be a huge challenge.
Pomeranz came to Colorado from Cleveland in mid-2011 as the centerpiece of the Ubaldo Jimenez trade, but his stock has dropped significantly since then and he spent most of this year at Triple-A as a 24-year-old. He no longer necessarily projects as a top-of-the-rotation starter, but Pomeranz’s strikeout rates remain very promising and getting away from Coors Field helps his long-term outlook a ton.
Jensen was the Rockies’ sixth-round pick in 2011 and spent this year at high Single-A, logging 152 innings with a 4.55 ERA and 136/39 K/BB ratio as a 22-year-old.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (70)