Dec 10, 2013, 4:43 PM EDT
All the Brett Anderson rumors can stop swirling now: Oakland has traded the left-hander to Colorado in exchange for left-hander Drew Pomeranz and right-hander Chris Jensen, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com.
Anderson has been mostly injured since mid-2011, throwing just 80 innings during the past two seasons, but he’s still just 25 years old and before the injuries he’d emerged as one of the best young left-handed starters in baseball. He’ll be under the Rockies’ control through 2015, but his salaries are pretty big and trying to get his career back on track calling Coors Field home will be a huge challenge.
Pomeranz came to Colorado from Cleveland in mid-2011 as the centerpiece of the Ubaldo Jimenez trade, but his stock has dropped significantly since then and he spent most of this year at Triple-A as a 24-year-old. He no longer necessarily projects as a top-of-the-rotation starter, but Pomeranz’s strikeout rates remain very promising and getting away from Coors Field helps his long-term outlook a ton.
Jensen was the Rockies’ sixth-round pick in 2011 and spent this year at high Single-A, logging 152 innings with a 4.55 ERA and 136/39 K/BB ratio as a 22-year-old.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 14
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 18
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)