Dec 10, 2013, 4:43 PM EST
All the Brett Anderson rumors can stop swirling now: Oakland has traded the left-hander to Colorado in exchange for left-hander Drew Pomeranz and right-hander Chris Jensen, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com.
Anderson has been mostly injured since mid-2011, throwing just 80 innings during the past two seasons, but he’s still just 25 years old and before the injuries he’d emerged as one of the best young left-handed starters in baseball. He’ll be under the Rockies’ control through 2015, but his salaries are pretty big and trying to get his career back on track calling Coors Field home will be a huge challenge.
Pomeranz came to Colorado from Cleveland in mid-2011 as the centerpiece of the Ubaldo Jimenez trade, but his stock has dropped significantly since then and he spent most of this year at Triple-A as a 24-year-old. He no longer necessarily projects as a top-of-the-rotation starter, but Pomeranz’s strikeout rates remain very promising and getting away from Coors Field helps his long-term outlook a ton.
Jensen was the Rockies’ sixth-round pick in 2011 and spent this year at high Single-A, logging 152 innings with a 4.55 ERA and 136/39 K/BB ratio as a 22-year-old.
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 43
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 119
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Dodgers cut Brian Wilson and his $9.5 million salary 53
- Royals and Alex Rios agree to one-year, $11 million contract 16
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. 95
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (122)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Jon Lester goes to Cubs for $155 million over six years (99)