Dec 10, 2013, 4:43 PM EDT
All the Brett Anderson rumors can stop swirling now: Oakland has traded the left-hander to Colorado in exchange for left-hander Drew Pomeranz and right-hander Chris Jensen, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com.
Anderson has been mostly injured since mid-2011, throwing just 80 innings during the past two seasons, but he’s still just 25 years old and before the injuries he’d emerged as one of the best young left-handed starters in baseball. He’ll be under the Rockies’ control through 2015, but his salaries are pretty big and trying to get his career back on track calling Coors Field home will be a huge challenge.
Pomeranz came to Colorado from Cleveland in mid-2011 as the centerpiece of the Ubaldo Jimenez trade, but his stock has dropped significantly since then and he spent most of this year at Triple-A as a 24-year-old. He no longer necessarily projects as a top-of-the-rotation starter, but Pomeranz’s strikeout rates remain very promising and getting away from Coors Field helps his long-term outlook a ton.
Jensen was the Rockies’ sixth-round pick in 2011 and spent this year at high Single-A, logging 152 innings with a 4.55 ERA and 136/39 K/BB ratio as a 22-year-old.
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 0
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 19
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 15
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 24
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)