Dec 10, 2013, 1:54 PM EST
Anderson’s addition will likely leave Juan Nicasio and Jordan Lyles battling for one spot in Colorado’s rotation. The A’s still have six starters without him, a total that doesn’t even include Pomeranz. Jensen, 23, had a 4.55 ERA last season in high-A ball, but that came with a nice 136/39 K/BB ratio in 152 1/3 innings.
The Denver Post’s Troy Renck and FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal are reporting that the Rockies and A’s have restarted talks regarding left-hander Brett Anderson. The Rockies have also been pursuing Reds reliever Sean Marshall as they attempt to bolster their pitching staff.
As things stand right now, the Rockies are likely looking at a rotation of Jhoulys Chacin, Jorge De La Rosa, Tyler Chatwood, Juan Nicasio and the newly acquired Jordan Lyles, who was picked up in the Dexter Fowler trade with the Astros. The bullpen is set to consist of LaTroy Hawkins, Rex Brothers, Matt Belisle, Adam Ottavino, Chad Bettis, Wilton Lopez and Josh Outman.
Anderson would be an odd choice for a Rockies team that typically works with a pretty strict budget. He’s a big talent, but he’s also an $8 million wild card, which would seem to make him better suited for a large-market team that can afford the risk.
Marshall also comes with some risk after missing most of last year with shoulder problems. He’s one of the game’s premier left-handed reliever when healthy, but he’s also owed $12 million for the next two years. If the Rockies did pick him up, perhaps they’d be more inclined to let Brothers close over Hawkins, since they’d still have another lefty capable of working in the seventh and eighth.
Update: MLB.com’s Thomas Harding reports that Drew Pomeranz’s name has come up in the Anderson talks. Pomeranz, a former top prospect of the Indians, has a 5.20 ERA in 30 starts and four relief appearances for the Rockies over the last three seasons.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 65
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (227)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)