The Rangers are pursuing Bartolo Colon — but only on a one-year deal

Dec 10, 2013, 4:15 PM EDT

Bartolo Colon Getty Getty Images

Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that the Rangers are interested in free agent right-hander Bartolo Colon, but that they’re not willing to go beyond a one-year deal.

I’d be wary of Colon on anything more than a year-to-year basis too, but given that the Mets, Mariners, Orioles and Royals have all expressed some amount of interest in Colon someone will give him an extra year, you have to figure. After all, the dude did just have a season in which he posted a 2.65 ERA and 117/29 K/BB ratio in 190.1 innings. One year is a no-brainer. Two years seems like a manageable risk.

Not sure what I think about Texas, though. Bartolo Colon moving from the cool breezes of the Bay Area to the Texas heat? In a much friendlier hitters park? That smells like trouble to me.

1. cackalackyank - Dec 10, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I admit I am not that experienced, but why aren’t there more incentive/vesting type options added for guys like this? Since he is coming off a PED suspension and in view of his age it seems perfectly logical to me to offer him a vesting option and incentives to build value, or solve the length of contract issue.

• clydeserra - Dec 10, 2013 at 5:31 PM

You mean prove his value like pitching like an all star for an entire year?

Like that? Cuz he did that.

2. cur68 - Dec 10, 2013 at 4:25 PM

The Dugong is an amiable and likeable soul. I wish him well. But he needs a big park. He’ll get creamed in Arlington.

3. phillysports1 - Dec 10, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Sign him !

4. largebill - Dec 10, 2013 at 5:06 PM

After age 40, month to month deals should be a contract option. The GM who gives Colon a two year deal is making a bad bet. Colon conceivably could have two more decent years but why bet on it when there are other options?

5. dylanthom2013 - Dec 10, 2013 at 7:55 PM

I’m having nightmares of Colon and Fielder colliding while trying to retrieve a bunt.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2986)